• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Good Tires for Street Riding

Got about 2k miles on the Michelin road 4's on my street NC, and I love them! Grip is as much as I could ask for on the street. Got them a little hot and tacky at Deal's Gap over the weekend. Was really impressed with the grip and feel as I hauled arse over the Skyway and the Dragon.

View attachment 49954
Do your street tires tend to develop a tall leading edge? I’ve watched countless Dave moss videos over the years because every tire of mine develops raised leading edges. I tend to throttle through corners lightly, similar to a 5th to 6th gear roll on. I guess that all came from Keith Code twist of the wrist. I figured that is my cause, because on my adventure tires, I tend to maintain constant speed and take it easy while cornering on pavement.

Glad you like the Michelin’s… that gives me confidence to try them.

I took look at the Shinko, and they have a center groove in the front tire that our Concrete, Grooved freeways will play havoc with.
Michilin it is. Thanks all for narrowing it down to those for me. Made it a lot easier to choose

I took look at the Shinko, and they have a center groove in the front tire that our Concrete, Grooved freeways will play havoc with.
Michilin it is. Thanks all for narrowing it down to those for me. Made it a lot easier to choose
Interesting. Did you actually experience the ill effects of the Shinko’s center groove, or did you just look at the tire? I could understand your concern, but I ran a Shinko Raven front for something like 16,000 miles on many varied surfaces and experienced no bad effects from the tire’s center groove. In fact, I like that center groove as it gives a very sure indication of how much tread remains in the center of the tire. Anyway, buy what works for you; I hope the Michelins serve you well.

Interesting. Did you actually experience the ill effects of the Shinko’s center groove, or did you just look at the tire? I could understand your concern, but I ran a Shinko Raven front for something like 16,000 miles on many varied surfaces and experienced no bad effects from the tire’s center groove. In fact, I like that center groove as it gives a very sure indication of how much tread remains in the center of the tire. Anyway, buy what works for you; I hope the Michelins serve you well.
I also haven’t experienced any untoward movement with my shinkos and I ride a lot of ill kept highways and some freeway

Let me Clarify... Grooved Concrete
1658443807217.png
These are Grooves intentionally cut in the direction of travel to assist with traction when wet, while reducing Road Noise.

Yes, I "Just looked at the Tire" and Decided.
When I paired what I saw, with my previous research and previous experience, I didn't like what I saw.
So I made a decision to not experiment with a tire that had a high probability of having issues on roads I ride a lot.

Would you buy a Racing Slick, to ride on Gravel Roads? No.
I won't buy a Grooved Tire, to ride on Grooved Concrete.

Look, I'm not bashing Shinko, nor am I saying they won't work on Your Road Surfaces.
From what I've read, they are very good tires.

Chuck

I don’t regret putting my Shinko ravens on this year to replace my aging Dunlops my bike came with. I don’t ride on those grooved type roads though. Just the kind with potholes and such to ride around but the Shinkos have added so much confidence in my riding compared to the dunlops.

Let me Clarify... Grooved Concrete
View attachment 49955
These are Grooves intentionally cut in the direction of travel to assist with traction when wet, while reducing Road Noise.

Yes, I "Just looked at the Tire" and Decided.
When I paired what I saw, with my previous research and previous experience, I didn't like what I saw.
So I made a decision to not experiment with a tire that had a high probability of having issues on roads I ride a lot.

Would you buy a Racing Slick, to ride on Gravel Roads? No.
I won't buy a Grooved Tire, to ride on Grooved Concrete.

Look, I'm not bashing Shinko, nor am I saying they won't work on Your Road Surfaces.
From what I've read, they are very good tires.

Chuck
I ride on grooved roads and across a number of open grate bridges with my Shinko's....no issues.

To be more helpful though, if you are that concerned with it get a different front tire. Hell, you can get a pair of shinkos for the price of one michelin Road tire. Buy the front, if you don't like it get a different one. You will be out about $60 plus mounting but at least then you will know from experience.

Last edited:
Do your street tires tend to develop a tall leading edge? I’ve watched countless Dave moss videos over the years because every tire of mine develops raised leading edges. I tend to throttle through corners lightly, similar to a 5th to 6th gear roll on. I guess that all came from Keith Code twist of the wrist. I figured that is my cause, because on my adventure tires, I tend to maintain constant speed and take it easy while cornering on pavement.

Glad you like the Michelin’s… that gives me confidence to try them.
What cold psi are you running? Sounds like cupping. My street NC and track NC, especially the track NC, wears the front side of the outermost tread grooves and the back side of the groove tends to "peel up" for lack of a better phrase. This is usually derived from a rear suspension issue, particularly rebound, and I think it's lack of rebound. But I'm not sure if that's the issue you are describing. Powering through corners on the NC probably has very little to do with irregular wear patterns, however, it may be different if you were on a 180-200hp literbike.

What cold psi are you running? Sounds like cupping. My street NC and track NC, especially the track NC, wears the front side of the outermost tread grooves and the back side of the groove tends to "peel up" for lack of a better phrase. This is usually derived from a rear suspension issue, particularly rebound, and I think it's lack of rebound. But I'm not sure if that's the issue you are describing. Powering through corners on the NC probably has very little to do with irregular wear patterns, however, it may be different if you were on a 180-200hp literbike.
36 front, 42 rear. But only my rear shows significant signs of wear like this. The rebound may be the culprit. With the non adjustable rebound, I do notice when I have a passenger, the wear pattern is more pronounced. Maybe the extra weight makes the shock extend slower creating a slower rebound effect?

36 front, 42 rear. But only my rear shows significant signs of wear like this. The rebound may be the culprit. With the non adjustable rebound, I do notice when I have a passenger, the wear pattern is more pronounced. Maybe the extra weight makes the shock extend slower creating a slower rebound effect?
Air pressure is like oil, everyone has differing opinions. I tend to run same pressure in front and rear, usually 35-38.

Air pressure is like oil, everyone has differing opinions. I tend to run same pressure in front and rear, usually 35-38.
I also run 36 front 42 rear. Bought replacement tires Dunlop roadsmart III and they have harder rubber compound in the centre where you are getting the most wear and softer compound as you move to the sidewalls for grip when leaning in the turns. The best of both worlds for my style of riding

.... Did you actually experience the ill effects of the Shinko’s center groove ...I ran a Shinko Raven front for something like 16,000 miles on many varied surfaces and experienced no bad effects from the tire’s center groove.
I'm running the "Raven F009 and R009" by Shinko - note the F denotes Front and R for Rear. Pictured is the wear on the Shinko 5/32" of tread depth @ 5K miles. I did not measure them when new so not sure where they started. I could see it lasting 12K but would be amazed if it got 16K even if run until bald. I don't do burnouts or skids and drive smoothly. Front tire could probably easily go 12K +. The front tire has a odd almost V shaped pattern but the Bridgestone that came with the bike wore the same way.

Stock tires sizes: Shinko F009 & R009 Raven Radial F: 120/70ZR17 R:160/60ZR17
The rear was a larger 180? but I retuned to stock width and I'm glad I did because it looks almost as wide and doesn't introduce speedometer error.

Attachments

• Shinko Rear  Tire @5K mi 5_32''.jpg
    Shinko Rear Tire @5K mi 5_32''.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Shinko Front Tire @5K mi 5_32''_1.jpg
    Shinko Front Tire @5K mi 5_32''_1.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Just wanted to follow up. I replaced my rear Shinko 009 with 12,760 miles on it.
Cords weren't showing but the tread was just about flat in some spots.

Did you replace it with another shinko?

I’ve got a shinko R009 being shipped to me right now. Hopefully it will last longer than the last tire

Did you replace it with another shinko?

I’ve got a shinko R009 being shipped to me right now. Hopefully it will last longer than the last tire
I did. I haven't tried a lot of tires, but for commuting/light touring the Ravens have been great to me. This is my 4th Raven rear and each has easily lasted over 10,000mi.

I just ordered a set of Kenda's new KM1 sport touring tires. They are a good looking tire that is supposed to heat up quickly, have great traction and have excellent wear characteristics. I plan on mounting them up in the next few weeks and giving them a try. Under 200.00 price point for the pair.

I don't expect that many miles out of them, but if I can get 10K out of them, I would be thrilled. If I got 16K out of them I'd never run any other tire, and might get a Road 5 tattoo lol

If you do get over 16,600 miles out of the front and rear Road 5s, that would be awesome. Please report back when you finally replace them. That kind of mileage and the reduced frequency of replacement could justify their price.

I replaced the front Michelin Road 5 tire today. It's showing a good bit of wear on the left side with 14960 miles on it.

road_5_front_14960_miles.jpg

The rear tire has 14060 miles on it and I'm going to run it a bit further. It's not worn down to the wear bars yet... perhaps another 1000 miles or so.

road_5_rear_14060_miles.jpg

I was tempted to upgrade to the Road 6 tires, but I love the way these tires feel in the wet and on a twisty backroad and don't know just how the Road 6 tires could be a great improvement.

If these came in more sizes, I'd have them on my other bikes too!

WOW.

Yea I didn't have that kind of luck. My Michelin Road 5's went 8,579 miles

they were replaced with Angel GTs that went 7,696 miles.

those were replaced with Shinko Raven 09's that went 6,478 miles

those were replaced with another set of Pirelli Angel GT's 2,068 miles ago.

Still searching for the 10,000 mile tire on the NC. The road 5's have come the closest though.

Funny thing is the last set of Pirelli Angel GTs on my CB 1100 which weighs 75 pounds more, has 30 more horsepower than the NC and is ridden on the same roads and at the same speeds, went 10,500 miles and wasn't worn out yet. Would have gone another 500 for sure, but I have a 1500 mile trip coming up in a couple of weeks so they got changed out for another set of Pirelli Angel GTs.

Last edited:
Back