• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Good Tires for Street Riding

Everyone has their own favorites. My personal favorite are one of the Michelin group. Ive run many sets of them over the years. Usually last 9-12,000 miles for me. Have also run the Pirelli Angel GTs and been happy with them, but at about 7500 miles they havent lasted as long for me as the Michelins. The Metzler Tourence tires that came stock on my 2021 weren't bad either, went about 7500 miles but I went with Michelin Road 5s when the Metzlers wore out. I dont know how long they are going to last yet. Only have 2000 miles on them so far.

I realize you are asking for suggestions based on experience, but in a way, it's like asking what is a good restaurant. Expect about 30 different tire suggestions.

There is a ton of prior discussion in the Tire Tech Talk forum.

I have tried about about 6 different front/rear tire sets on my NC and my favorite is Shinko Raven 009. They are low cost, have good grip, good wear characteristics, and long life. I am sure there are dozens of other tires that are fine. People have their favorites, and everyone's favorite might be different for different reasons. If you had very specific characteristics in mind, our recomendations could be narrowed down, otherwise just pick one.

So far the Michelin Road 5s are my favorite. Super grip wet or dry conditions. 8300 miles on them now and they look like they will easily do at least that many more.
If you do get over 16,600 miles out of the front and rear Road 5s, that would be awesome. Please report back when you finally replace them. That kind of mileage and the reduced frequency of replacement could justify their price.

Reactions: MZ5
So far the Michelin Road 5s are my favorite. Super grip wet or dry conditions. 8300 miles on them now and they look like they will easily do at least that many more.
I don't expect that many miles out of them, but if I can get 10K out of them, I would be thrilled. If I got 16K out of them I'd never run any other tire, and might get a Road 5 tattoo lol

I too asked this question one day. The top 2 answers were Michelin pilot road series and the shinko ravens 009. Continental road attack got a few votes as well. As with all things ymmv.

Basically any ‘sport touring’ motorcycle tire from brands we know in N. America will be good to great for the NCX. The details of the minor differences between them are more a matter of preference than ‘better’ or ‘worse.’

I’ve run the Michelins, Pirellis, 2 different Continental models, Metzelers, and Shinkos. I don’t recall that I’ve had Bridgestones or Avons on a street bike.
They’re all certainly adequate, and generally quite good. There isn’t any of them I can’t find a shortcoming in, or something I really wish was different. Examples are one brand’s high price and goofy wear pattern, or another’s shorter lifespan, or another’s high weight. Neither is there a major fault or flaw I can find with any, that’s genuinely a problem. Everything I have had to ‘complain’ about is a minor annoyance or just plain preference.

Cost-benefit (meaning mounted price vs miles they last) is one of the most significant discussions I recall us having here on the forum. I think we NCX riders are a touch more frugal in general than some other m/c riders.
(-:

Basically any ‘sport touring’ motorcycle tire from brands we know in N. America will be good to great for the NCX. The details of the minor differences between them are more a matter of preference than ‘better’ or ‘worse.’

I’ve run the Michelins, Pirellis, 2 different Continental models, Metzelers, and Shinkos. I don’t recall that I’ve had Bridgestones or Avons on a street bike.
They’re all certainly adequate, and generally quite good. There isn’t any of them I can’t find a shortcoming in, or something I really wish was different. Examples are one brand’s high price and goofy wear pattern, or another’s shorter lifespan, or another’s high weight. Neither is there a major fault or flaw I can find with any, that’s genuinely a problem. Everything I have had to ‘complain’ about is a minor annoyance or just plain preference.

Cost-benefit (meaning mounted price vs miles they last) is one of the most significant discussions I recall us having here on the forum. I think we NCX riders are a touch more frugal in general than some other m/c riders.
(-:
Lol frugal is the reason I bought my NC

Anyone find a quiet tyre for the 750x? The original howling Bridgestones need replacing soon with a 70/30 tyre.

Anyone find a quiet tyre for the 750x? The original howling Bridgestones need replacing soon with a 70/30 tyre.
I think that any 70/30 tire with large spaces or voids between tread blocks necessary to develop grip in soft terrain is going to be noisier than 100% street or 90/10% tires with less tread voids.

I have Avon Trail Riders one my KTM 890 and they are great but only last 5k miles.Need a bit more mileage on the NC...

Shinko Ravens:
Mileage / longevity is supposed to be excellent. I have had them for just about 1 year and 3,500 miles. Lean angle is good enough to scrape the foot pegs. I have "slipped" or caused the rear to "shift" when cornering and applying a little too much power. I think these tires strike a good balance between cornering grip and longevity. Ok in rain and don't seem to noisy though I wear ear plugs. Good all purpose tire for riding on paved roads. Cost is low and the last a long time from what I have read.

I dislike "soft" sticky compound tires for following reasons: 1. easier to get flats. 2. short tread life ~ 4 to 6K miles. 3. Cost 4. hassle of more frequent changes.

Here's my notes from my maintenance log:
Shinko Raven F009 (F = Front) & R009 (R = Rear) Radial F: 120/70ZR17,. R:160/60ZR17, replaced oil seals for front wheel. I removed the wheels and took them to the local dealer to mount tires and replaced valve stems. Purchased on Amazon ~ F:$66.76 + R:$96.53 & free shipping $170.48 w/tx + $67 for mounting at local dealer.

Ravens on my Ninja 650 lasted about 15000 miles on the rear. Never replaced the front with about 20000 on it. I can only expect they will last as long if not longer on the NC700X since it is so much more mellow. I have 9000 on my current set and the rear looks about 1/2 worn. No perceivable wear on the front.

I just replaced my rear Shinko Raven 009 after just shy of 12,000 miles with a Michelin Road 6. So far I have put about 150 miles on the Michelin. I can kind of tell a performance difference but it is hard to say considering it has been 12,000 miles since my Raven was new. Would I consider it to be worth the extra $100? As of right now, no. That could possibly change but I doubt it. Unless the Michelin nets me almost 7,000 more miles I don't see it being worth the extra cost.

Shinko Ravens:
Mileage / longevity is supposed to be excellent. I have had them for just about 1 year and 3,500 miles. Lean angle is good enough to scrape the foot pegs. I have "slipped" or caused the rear to "shift" when cornering and applying a little too much power. I think these tires strike a good balance between cornering grip and longevity. Ok in rain and don't seem to noisy though I wear ear plugs. Good all purpose tire for riding on paved roads. Cost is low and the last a long time from what I have read.

Here's my notes from my maintenance log:
Shinko Raven F009 (F = Front) & R009 (R = Rear) Radial F: 120/70ZR17,. R:160/60ZR17, replaced oil seals for front wheel. I removed the wheels and took them to the local dealer to mount tires and replaced valve stems. Purchased on Amazon ~ F:$66.76 + R:$96.53 & free shipping $170.48 w/tx + $67 for mounting at local dealer.
Geez those are cheap enough. Hard to believe a tire that cost so little can be any good. I'm amazed

Back