• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Goldwing to NC750X

• Thread starter Deleted member 10242
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 10242

I don't know where this idea of mine is coming from, but thinking about selling my 2018 Goldwing non-tour DCT and buying a 2022 NC750X DCT. I know I am sold on the DCT. Before the Goldwing I had an Africa Twin DCT. The Twin was too high for my comfort and as soon as I sat on the Goldwing I traded the AT in on the Goldwing. Been very happy with the Goldwing but at 67 years old and only doing local 1 up riding for the most part, thinking the NC750X might be a better fit for me. Plus, something about changing bikes every 2-3 years seems to be a "condition" I have. If I sell my Goldwing I should have plenty of cash to purchase and add some updates to the NC750X and still have money left over. That would help sell the idea to my wife :) Question is if anyone else has come from the Goldwing to the NC750X? Curious about the ergonomics, comfort and overall impressions. The Goldwing is very comfortable and leg positioning works well for me. I don't want a sport like sitting position. I like my legs under me and the option to add highway pegs would be nice just so I can stretch out my legs a bit. I do hope to take a few long trips but it's just not something I would do often. I did see a rumor that the 2023 NC could be an 850 so maybe I should wait a bit. Wouldn't mind a tft screen vs the lcd but not sure I'd wait for that. And I do wish we could get the blue color instead of the red here in the US. Anyone have an experience similar coming from a touring bike (Goldwing, Harley, etc)???

Welcome aboard. I go back and forth between my 2006 Goldwing and 2013 NC700X all the time. I generally switch up bikes every ride. The NC seat height is somewhat taller but the NC's CG is very low, so low it doesn't feel at all like a 500 lb bike. These are very different bikes to compare. One is more comfortable for very long rides and is designed to eat up miles in all kinds of weather. The other is more nimble and more fun to ride when the road gets twisty. If my wife did not want me to keep it for our rides together I'd probably sell it pretty quickly. It's a lot of bike for solo riding close to home. I am 66 years old.

I came from a 2002 Goldwing to an NC700X, but the NC is an addition, not a replacement. I still have and ride both. I have ridden my NC 58,000 miles and I intend to keep both the NC and GW for a long time. For an age reference, I’ll say I’m in my mid 60s

While my Goldwing has a few convenience and comfort modifications, I have spent an enormous amount of time making the NC comfortable and useful. To do so, I:
Tried many seats and got it right with the 7th seat.
Moved handlebars up and back 1.2, then 2.0, and now 3.2 inches to get comfortable.
Added and made modifications to Madstad windscreen.
Modified both front and rear suspensions.
Added luggage rack and rear seat rack and multiple varied pieces of luggage.
. . . and done many, many smaller modifications. I still feel that the NC foot pegs are a bit too rearward. The NC’s chain drive is a PIA unless you just like fiddling with the machine.

Straight from the dealer, the Goldwing is clearly a better machine for comfort, convenience, and long maintenance intervals, but one would expect so due to it’s significantly higher price.

Last edited:
I came from a 2002 Goldwing to an NC700X, but the NC is an addition, not a replacement. I still have and ride both. I have ridden my NC 58,000 miles and I intend to keep both the NC and GW for a long time. For an age reference, I’ll say I’m in my mid 60s

While my Goldwing has a few convenience and comfort modifications, I have spent an enormous amount of time making the NC comfortable and long distance trip worthy. To make the NC comfortable and useful, I:
Tried many seats and got it right with the 7th seat.
Moved handlebars up and back 1.2, then 2.0, and now 3.2 inches to get comfortable.
Added and made modifications to Madstad windscreen.
Modified both front and rear suspensions.
Added luggage rack and rear seat rack and multiple varied pieces of luggage.
. . . and done many, many smaller modifications. I still feel that the NC foot pegs are a bit too rearward. The NC’s chain drive is a PIA for distance traveling.

Straight from the dealer, the Goldwing is clearly a better machine for comfort, convenience, and long maintenance intervals, but one would expect so due to it’s significantly higher price.
Thanks for that feedback. I don't want 2 bikes so have to decide between the 2. Doesn't sound like anything you added to the NC really cost that much. I already have a Shad 58x top case that I would use on the NC. Probably add some Shad side cases as well, but no hurry. Maybe with the frunk I won't usually need the extra storage. I think the foot pegs being rearward are my only concern. Had a hip replacement and even on the Wing I have to stretch them forward to get the kink out. Assume can do the same with the NC. Guessing the NC is a bit easier to work on as well. This Wing certainly has a lot of plastic on it and I am a crap mechanic.

Thanks for that feedback. I don't want 2 bikes so have to decide between the 2. Doesn't sound like anything you added to the NC really cost that much. I already have a Shad 58x top case that I would use on the NC. Probably add some Shad side cases as well, but no hurry. Maybe with the frunk I won't usually need the extra storage. I think the foot pegs being rearward are my only concern. Had a hip replacement and even on the Wing I have to stretch them forward to get the kink out. Assume can do the same with the NC. Guessing the NC is a bit easier to work on as well. This Wing certainly has a lot of plastic on it and I am a crap mechanic.
Not counting the things I added and then later removed, a wild guess is I probably have $2500 in mods to the NC.

Final drive maintenance for the wing has been a few gear oil changes. The NC has needed about 4 or 5 replacement drive chains and a couple sprockets.

Both bikes went between 50,000 and 60,000 miles on original brake pads.

Goldwing tire choices tend to get a little longer life but cost more.

Plastic panel removal may be a toss-up. Both my NC and Goldwing are bad. However, late model NCs and Goldwings both have different plastics than my older models. Perhaps they’ve improved.

I sold my 2013 Goldwing F6B last winter, and immediately bought a '20 NC750X DCT.
I couldn't be happier.
The F6B didn't have reverse, and I was getting both mentally and physically fatigued pushing the bike around the garage.
The things I do miss not having the 'Wing are the effortless passing power on the highway and the comfort for my wife riding pillion.
She tried the pillion once on the NC and complained about the tight quarters, lack of wind protection, and the inability to see over or around me. She also couldn't see the mirrors or instruments.
The things that I do truly appreciate on the NC are the DCT (I drove an '18 'Wing with DCT and didn't like it all; noisy and clunky), its size, tractability, and torquey motor.
The NC's DCT is ultra smooth and quiet.
The NC opens up a whole new world of motorcycling; that being able to go down gravel roads, and navigate stuff that would be nail-biting on a 'Wing.
In addition, driving in the urban jungle is much easier and more relaxed than doing the same on a 'Wing.
The 'Wing does one thing fantastically, and that is navigate high speed highways and interstates.
Anything else on a 'Wing is mediocre at best.
The NC does everything except sand and rough trails very well, but nothing fantastically.
The NC is easier to work on, except for chain maintenance.
If you aren't mechanically inclined but still want to do oil and filter changes, you'll be fine but get the centre stand.
Any other question, just fire away.

Not a wing, but I came from an FJR, and before that an ST 1300. I have ridden lots of Wings from 1975 up thru 2020, but never bought one. Since my wife quit riding with me after 48 years in 2020, I only needed a solo up mostly local and day rides mount and at 71 at time of purchasing my 2021 I thought I was ready to downsize. The NC 750's light weight is a joy, and the mileage is phenominal. The DCT is outstanding once you get used to it. The downsides to the NC for me are its limited power, lack of ammenities, (no adjustable windshield, heated grips or cruise control) and the chain drive. None of that has kept me from enjoying the bike though. I'm a daily rider and the NC has been ridden for close to 10,000 miles in 8 months in all weather conditions, from 9 degrees F to 108, in sun, wind, rain and snow and has performed perfectly, and is looking none the less for wear. I have added a -4" cut down stock shield for summer, a +4" Givi taller shield and hand guards for winter, a battery tender pigtail for charging and running my heated jacket liner, and for next winter will be adding Oxford heated grips and Kemimoto Handlebar muffs. I have taken one multi state trip on it, and although it got the job done, personally I don't consider it a real touring bike although others on this forum would disagree with that. Sometimes I've felt like I made a mistake getting rid of the FJR, but the NC has endeared itself to me enough that I am learning to overlook its shortcomings and appreciate it's strengths. I'd say its an easy bike to live with, for not a lot of money.

I sold my 2013 Goldwing F6B last winter, and immediately bought a '20 NC750X DCT.
I couldn't be happier.
The F6B didn't have reverse, and I was getting both mentally and physically fatigued pushing the bike around the garage.
The things I do miss not having the 'Wing are the effortless passing power on the highway and the comfort for my wife riding pillion.
She tried the pillion once on the NC and complained about the tight quarters, lack of wind protection, and the inability to see over or around me. She also couldn't see the mirrors or instruments.
The things that I do truly appreciate on the NC are the DCT (I drove an '18 'Wing with DCT and didn't like it all; noisy and clunky), its size, tractability, and torquey motor.
The NC's DCT is ultra smooth and quiet.
The NC opens up a whole new world of motorcycling; that being able to go down gravel roads, and navigate stuff that would be nail-biting on a 'Wing.
In addition, driving in the urban jungle is much easier and more relaxed than doing the same on a 'Wing.
The 'Wing does one thing fantastically, and that is navigate high speed highways and interstates.
Anything else on a 'Wing is mediocre at best.
The NC does everything except sand and rough trails very well, but nothing fantastically.
The NC is easier to work on, except for chain maintenance.
If you aren't mechanically inclined but still want to do oil and filter changes, you'll be fine but get the centre stand.
Any other question, just fire away.
As much as I'd like, my wife has made it clear she will never ride with me. She's OK with me riding, so that's OK. But that means I won't be going cross country and don't have to worry about a pillion. I have no issue with the DCT on my 2018. Smooth as can be. And I do appreciate the forward/reverse when getting the bike settled in our 2 car garage (have to get up close to the back wall. I'm sure there are things I'd miss if I part with the Goldwing. But I think the trade off might be worth it. feedback I am getting seems to indicate that. Wish I could keep both but that is not an option.

Not a wing, but I came from an FJR, and before that an ST 1300. I have ridden lots of Wings from 1975 up thru 2020, but never bought one. Since my wife quit riding with me after 48 years in 2020, I only needed a solo up mostly local and day rides mount and at 71 at time of purchasing my 2021 I thought I was ready to downsize. The NC 750's light weight is a joy, and the mileage is phenominal. The DCT is outstanding once you get used to it. The downsides to the NC for me are its limited power, lack of ammenities, (no adjustable windshield, heated grips or cruise control) and the chain drive. None of that has kept me from enjoying the bike though. I'm a daily rider and the NC has been ridden for close to 10,000 miles in 8 months in all weather conditions, from 9 degrees F to 108, in sun, wind, rain and snow and has performed perfectly, and is looking none the less for wear. I have added a -4" cut down stock shield for summer, a +4" Givi taller shield and hand guards for winter, a battery tender pigtail for charging and running my heated jacket liner, and for next winter will be adding Oxford heated grips and Kemimoto Handlebar muffs. I have taken one multi state trip on it, and although it got the job done, personally I don't consider it a real touring bike although others on this forum would disagree with that. Sometimes I've felt like I made a mistake getting rid of the FJR, but the NC has endeared itself to me enough that I am learning to overlook its shortcomings and appreciate it's strengths. I'd say its an easy bike to live with, for not a lot of money.
Great feedback. I like what you've added. Center Stand, Heated grips and taller windshield are OEM options (though I'd probably look at other options for the windshield). I see that RDL has a seated heat option that might be worth considering. I think the only downside I am seeing is going back to a chain drive. I don't miss maintaining that but it really wasn't that much work. I assume it has tubeless tires. That is something I really do prefer as it would be much easier to deal with that on the side of the road.

I have the same year and model Goldwing and a 2020 NC750X. I find that the DCT transmission in the NC actually works a tad better than the Gold wing (I run it in S1 mode and the Wing in Tour). The sound of the NC is more appealing (I think the Wing sounds like a bus). The Wing is smoother on small bumps due to its massive weight. The Wing has more than double the engine and amazingly powerful brakes.

I use a GPS to track all my local rides on complex back road routes in the country. My average speed on the NC is higher than the Wing. I only need wide open throttle on the NC once in a great while for a pass that is tight on space, otherwise, there is plenty of power. I like to be able to explore a dirt road once in awhile and the Wing is a handful to manage on dirt. The Honda saddlebags + frunk have more storage space on the NC than the Wing. My Madstad windshield on the NC works better than the F4 that I have on the Wing. The NC cruises at 75-80 mph no problem. I did install a Tutoro automatic chain oiler. If I had to pick just one, it would be the NC.

I have the same year and model Goldwing and a 2020 NC750X. I find that the DCT transmission in the NC actually works a tad better than the Gold wing (I run it in S1 mode and the Wing in Tour). The sound of the NC is more appealing (I think the Wing sounds like a bus). The Wing is smoother on small bumps due to its massive weight. The Wing has more than double the engine and amazingly powerful brakes.

I use a GPS to track all my local rides on complex back road routes in the country. My average speed on the NC is higher than the Wing. I only need wide open throttle on the NC once in a great while for a pass that is tight on space, otherwise, there is plenty of power. I like to be able to explore a dirt road once in awhile and the Wing is a handful to manage on dirt. The Honda saddlebags + frunk have more storage space on the NC than the Wing. My Madstad windshield on the NC works better than the F4 that I have on the Wing. The NC cruises at 75-80 mph no problem. I did install a Tutoro automatic chain oiler. If I had to pick just one, it would be the NC.
Great feedback. I'm convinced it's worth me going to sit on one. My closest dealer has a 2022 DCT on the floor and the dealer I like to use for service has a 2022 manual on their floor. The auto chain oiler sounds like a good idea. I was going to put one on my Africa Twin but traded it in on the Goldwing before I did so. I think the NC meets my needs. My old beat up body could never do real off roading, but I'd like to take on some dirt roads and would not try that on the Wing. I already have a Shad top case I would move over so probably add the Shad 36L side cases as well. Normally don't ride with a top case but since I have it, I might as well be able to put it on. Like the Madstad reco as well.

On past models of the NC through 2020 it was pretty easy to drop $2000 in the suspension, seat, and wind management ( which is relatively cheap by comparison to other bikes ) but was necessary for me to fully enjoy the versatility the NC700/750X offers. I didn't address modifications in my initial post but the NC is a standard motorcycle with adventure styling built to a price point. The basics are there but little else. The good thing it is a blank canvas for what you desire it to be and in stock form is perfectly capable of several roles. Commuter, back road scratcher, soft road (as opposed to off road) explorer.

The NC seems to draw buyers from opposite ends of the spectrum. One group is relatively new riders that are learning and building experience and the other is older riders with longer more varied riding resumes. The latter may have owned or still own larger more powerful bikes and are looking for easy to live with qualities in the NC. They aren't impressed by hp or blazing speed and may have toured extensively on 50-75 hp bikes.

I don't know where this idea of mine is coming from, but thinking about selling my 2018 Goldwing non-tour DCT and buying a 2022 NC750X DCT. I know I am sold on the DCT. Before the Goldwing I had an Africa Twin DCT. The Twin was too high for my comfort and as soon as I sat on the Goldwing I traded the AT in on the Goldwing. Been very happy with the Goldwing but at 67 years old and only doing local 1 up riding for the most part, thinking the NC750X might be a better fit for me. Plus, something about changing bikes every 2-3 years seems to be a "condition" I have. If I sell my Goldwing I should have plenty of cash to purchase and add some updates to the NC750X and still have money left over. That would help sell the idea to my wife :) Question is if anyone else has come from the Goldwing to the NC750X? Curious about the ergonomics, comfort and overall impressions. The Goldwing is very comfortable and leg positioning works well for me. I don't want a sport like sitting position. I like my legs under me and the option to add highway pegs would be nice just so I can stretch out my legs a bit. I do hope to take a few long trips but it's just not something I would do often. I did see a rumor that the 2023 NC could be an 850 so maybe I should wait a bit. Wouldn't mind a tft screen vs the lcd but not sure I'd wait for that. And I do wish we could get the blue color instead of the red here in the US. Anyone have an experience similar coming from a touring bike (Goldwing, Harley, etc)???
Just be careful to investigate if they really have resolved the stalling problems at stop and slow starts .Mine a 2021 had to be sold back to dealer. A serious safety issue. Honda recalled those bikes don't know if fixed.

Just be careful to investigate if they really have resolved the stalling problems at stop and slow starts .Mine a 2021 had to be sold back to dealer. A serious safety issue. Honda recalled those bikes don't know if fixed.
From what I hear (I don't have an affected bike though) it was solved through a reflash.

They did it to mine before recall and it did not work .I would just watch what the people with the problem say after recall done .Good Luck

They did it to mine before recall and it did not work .I would just watch what the people with the problem say after recall done .Good Luck
Interesting. Will have to investigate further but if this is accurate, the issue has been resolved.

"On November 18, 2021, American Honda Motor Company issued a safety recall for all of its 2021 Honda NC750X DCT bikes because of improper fuel injection control programming. According to Honda, all 2021 NC750X bikes equipped with a Dual-Clutch Transmission (DCT) are affected and could experience intermittent fueling issues that lead to bikes stalling. Unexpected stalling could increase the risk of rider injury and/or crashes.

Affected bikes were produced between March 18, 2021 and August 30, 2021. A total of 357 bikes sold in America are believed to be affected. The improper programming causes insufficient fueling when stopping, or when accelerating from stops, which can then cause the bikes to stall. "

You don't really know what they did to your bike prior to the Service Bulletin recall. The SB recall specifies a new firmware version that may not have existed and/or made available to dealers prior to its release. Now it is available to every authorized Honda dealer and backed up with specific instructions in the SB for the service tech to follow.

I get where you are coming from though. The dealer did not fix the problem for you.

While I agree the dealer did not solve your problem (and that sucks the big one, man), I'd be hesitant to consider your experience as evidence the reflash doesn't work.
If you had it reflashed before the recall, wouldn't they probably just have flashed in the old (bad) map?

I have zero data points, but I seem to remember plenty of comments that anyone who did get the recall reflash had success not only in solving the stalling problem, but also felt that the overall engine performance was better.
Can't always rely on my memory though...

Well after totaling a Goldwing I wanted something lighter and I planned on staying closer to home. I got the 700 X , to make a long story short I went to Alaska 2 more times Deadhorse one of the times. I knew what I was buying I didn't try to improve it it severed the purpose. It wasn't a Goldwing or an FJR but it never let me down.

Back