• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Go Cruise Throttle Lock

That looks like a very simple and effective product. I am looking forward to a review of how it holds up over a few thousand miles of use.

I've had mine for about a year also. Sometimes it works like a champ, and other times the throttle creeps toward closed. Can't figure out why unless the Florida heat sometimes causes it to loose a little tension. There is also a similar product called Omni-Cruise that is metal instead of plastic. I don't have one but those that do seem to like it. My biggest issue with the Go Cruise is that I think keeping it on the grip all the time causes it to loose a little tension and contributes to the throttle slowly creeping when I try to use it. Because of that I normally keep it in the frunk, and I keep forgetting to put it on the grip before I leave for a ride. :)

At any rate I'm considering biting the bullet and ordering one of the Kaoko throttle locks. They're expensive, but they're always there when you want it and don't take up any real estate on the grip.

Bob

I found that a 50 cent O-ring works pretty darn well. I don't know how well it holds up, but I'd rather not mess with the grip clamp widgets. Years ago, I bought a handlebar insert that had a spring to counterbalance the throttle spring. Worked very well with no stiction - the O-ring is pretty smooth, but not as good. The handlebar inserts available now that I've looked at all appear to be some sort of friction device that often have to be set per use and all seem expensive.

Ok, I have tried the O-ring thing, then replaced that with a Throttle Boss rocker, but used it in the same way as the O-ring to hold the throttle in place by placing it at the end of the grip partially overlapping the bar end so it would just hold the throttle wherever I left it (just like the O-ring). I also bought one of these Go Cruise Throttle locks.

Of all three of these I like the Throttle Boss solution the best. My second choice would be the O-ring, third would be the Go Cruise.
My reasoning for this is:

1) Throttle boss can be quickly removed or moved down the grip to use as a rocker (as it was designed) so it is versatile, as you can use it in two ways.
2) The O-ring just makes me a little bit nervous that it could bind up causing a real issue with the throttle
3) The Go cruise has to be set every time you change speed, which is a real pain after being used to just having the throttle stay wherever I leave it.

If you want to use the Go cruise, my advice to you is DO NOT try the other two methods... as you will be irritated with having to set the lock every time on the Go cruise.
I think I may have been happy with the Go Cruise if I had tried it first... but after riding 40,000 miles having my throttle stay where I put it with the other two methods I am not satisfied with having to slide the device forward every time... I just want the throttle to stay where I leave it.

Here is a pic of my Throttle boss:

Throttle Boss.jpg

And here is a link to it on Amazon with a pic of it open which makes it easier to see how it attaches (wrap around and stretch around hand grip)

One disclaimer: Before I put my Barkbuster handguards on, my bar ends would rotate slowly with the Throttle Boss in place. If you want to use the Throttle Boss as a throttle lock, you will need to make sure your bar ends do not move or your speed will slowly creep downward.

Last edited:
I've had mine for about a year also. Sometimes it works like a champ, and other times the throttle creeps toward closed. Can't figure out why unless the Florida heat sometimes causes it to loose a little tension. There is also a similar product called Omni-Cruise that is metal instead of plastic. I don't have one but those that do seem to like it. My biggest issue with the Go Cruise is that I think keeping it on the grip all the time causes it to loose a little tension and contributes to the throttle slowly creeping when I try to use it. Because of that I normally keep it in the frunk, and I keep forgetting to put it on the grip before I leave for a ride. :)

Maybe the constant taking it off and putting it back on is stretching it out? I'll have to see how mine lasts over time. Being black (which matches the handle bar controls), I'm just leaving it on all the time.

I found that a 50 cent O-ring works pretty darn well. I don't know how well it holds up, but I'd rather not mess with the grip clamp widgets. Years ago, I bought a handlebar insert that had a spring to counterbalance the throttle spring. Worked very well with no stiction - the O-ring is pretty smooth, but not as good. The handlebar inserts available now that I've looked at all appear to be some sort of friction device that often have to be set per use and all seem expensive.
I like the idea of the counterbalancing spring - can't find anything though by searching Google. If you have any further recollections please let us know
Mike

I like the idea of the counterbalancing spring - can't find anything though by searching Google. If you have any further recollections please let us know
Mike

I couldn't find anything either. Must be some issue with them that caused them to fall out of favor. At the time, perhaps 30 years ago, they were easy to install as I don't think bikes came with handlebar weights. In fact, it could be their incompatibility with weights that caused their demise.

2) The O-ring just makes me a little bit nervous that it could bind up causing a real issue with the throttle

Thanks for all the reviews! I agree with you about the O-ring and made damn sure I was familiar with the kill switch. I think th leverage on it is such that even if it breaks and binds that it won't be hard to still rotate the throttle. I tried one with too small a diameter and too fat and it did bind but still was able to move the throttle. So far it is about as good as it could be. I tried several sizes before coming up with the one that worked well (outside the hardware store).

I don't understand how the "Throttle Boss" works.

Example: I'm cruising at 70MPH on the freeway..... I want to engage the Throttle Boss cruise control...

What happens next?... in what order?

You use your index finger to push forward the lever until it touches your brake. The pressure against the brake is enough to keep throttle engaged. To disengage just pull throttle back. The resistance is less than you would imagine.

I don't understand how the "Throttle Boss" works.

Example: I'm cruising at 70MPH on the freeway..... I want to engage the Throttle Boss cruise control...

What happens next?... in what order?

The Throttle Boss isn't designed as a throttle lock, but it can be used that way if you slide it down to the end of your grip so it is half on the bar end and half on the throttle grip. It just holds the throttle where you leave it. If your bar ends move then it will slowly decelerate as the hand grips moves forward. You need to make your bar end so it doesn't move if you want to use the Throttle Boss as a throttle lock. It works the same way a large O ring inserted between the grip and the bar end works. But the Throttle boss is actually designed as a Throttle rocker, to place in the middle of your grip and use the palm of your hand against it to hold the throttle in place.

Both the O-ring method and the Throttle Boss just hold the throttle wherever you leave it. It is always engaged... but it is still very easy to roll the throttle on and off. Using either the O-ring method or the Throttle Boss you have to both accelerate and decelerate by rolling your throttle open and closed. If you take your hand off the grip the throttle just stays where it is.

I leave my Throttle boss half on and half off the throttle grip all the time, I do not "engage or disengage" it. I have to roll on and roll off the throttle, as the throttle will always stay where I leave it. It is very easy to get used to doing this.... I've been riding over 40,000 miles using this method and find it much easier than holding the throttle open. I can take my right hand off the grip any time and not have the bike loose momentum.

I would recommend trying it out on back roads with little traffic. It doesn't take long to get used to. I can't stand riding without one now.

Last edited:
Maybe the constant taking it off and putting it back on is stretching it out? I'll have to see how mine lasts over time. Being black (which matches the handle bar controls), I'm just leaving it on all the time.

I had the issue with occasional slipping when I was leaving it on all the time. Actually taking it off when I'm not using it seems to help reduce the slippage when I put it back on. The NC has a pretty strong throttle return spring and i think this is the reason mine sometimes creeps. i also used the Go Cruise on a scooter and it held perfectly. As always, your results may vary.

Bob

At any rate I'm considering biting the bullet and ordering one of the Kaoko throttle locks. They're expensive, but they're always there when you want it and don't take up any real estate on the grip.

Bob

I have had mine on now for a little over a week and although I haven't tried it on a long trip, I have played around with it on my commute to work. I find it creeps closed as well and given it is new, I don't think it is from it being stretched over time. This past week it is has been ridiculously hot and humid so I would lean more toward it being a temperature softening the plastic thing. It is supposed to be cool on the weekend and I intend on giving it a good test.

Regardless of the creep though, it is great. Easy to install and use. And even if it does slowly creep, it will still let you stretch your hand for a couple of minutes on those long runs. I don't ride hands off for long anyway. Safety first.

J...

and the throttle boss is not a cruise controll at all....

I don't want to use an o ring... just not trustworthy for me....

A true "Cruise control" will keep your speed constant going up and down hills. Those will cost well over $100, probably more than $200. I don't like throttle locks if they make it difficult to roll on or off the throttle, and I also don't care for the bulk of them or the fact you can't pop them off without tools when you don't want them on.

But each person has their own likes and dislikes. I've done betwen 40k and 50k miles with my Throttle boss and it is the most comfortable way to ride for me. My daughter has one too and she won't ride without it either.

I do have a Go cruise as a backup... but it's a pain to use compared to the Throttle boss... for me anyway.

A true "Cruise control" will keep your speed constant going up and down hills. Those will cost well over $100, probably more than $200. I don't like throttle locks if they make it difficult to roll on or off the throttle, and I also don't care for the bulk of them or the fact you can't pop them off without tools when you don't want them on.

But each person has their own likes and dislikes. I've done betwen 40k and 50k miles with my Throttle boss and it is the most comfortable way to ride for me. My daughter has one too and she won't ride without it either.

I do have a Go cruise as a backup... but it's a pain to use compared to the Throttle boss... for me anyway.

0.jpg

Looks like a great idea to me, and it sure beats rider hand cramps.

smileysportsrider.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Back