• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

GL650 and GL500 Owner I am back!

LeeInMpls

Reaction score
Visit site
I was here earlier this year when I was looking for something to add to my '82 GL500 that had 7,800 miles on it. I found an '83 GL650 with 28,000 on it that was refurbished by a CX500 froum member in Appleton. I really like the GL650. It adds the power and torque and dual disk brakes that made it a better bike for a 250lb person to moto-camp on. I've been collecting gear, including hammock (and bring along tent) and roll-top dry saddlebags and duffle.

IMG_20200831_144217600.jpg IMG_20200831_144248500_HDR.jpg 2735453f3190c2c504497850f136f7f8.jpg

I've also been looking at Hybrid/electric cars and have decided to wait maybe 4 years before replacing my reliable '98 Civic with 130,000 miles on it. In four years, the electric cars will be better and so will the installed charging stations. I want to be able to travel from Minneapolis the Cape Breton, NS by electric car.So, while not searching for a car upgrade, I've decided to start saving for a used NC750x DCT

. From what I have learned here, I think I want a low mileage one that someone else has already upgraded the seat and windshield, but has decided they really want an Africa Twin or a F800Gs. For my needs, riding on the gravel or sand isn't important, except to get to a camp site.

1-67618203_10156406080192057_2236235994665844736_n-001.jpgFafnir-001.jpg

Happy to be back! Lee In Minneapolis

Last edited:
I hammock camp, and have been for seven or so years. I've never seen a hammock that hangs like that.

Welcome to the forum

I hammock camp, and have been for seven or so years. I've never seen a hammock that hangs like that.

Welcome to the forum

Thanks! It is a flat lay design from Norway. Uses an insulated inflatable mattress that makes an underquilt uncessesary and makes it easy to sleep on your side or stomach.

Here is a video of one being set up:

Nice setup, Lee! I went with a Warbonnet Ridgerunner bridge hammock. If I'm unsure of finding good trees, I bring along a tyvek footprint & air matress to use the hammock in ground mode.

Thanks Harvey,

If I am not sure about the trees, I will bring this tent tent below along with the hammock. It has two doors and a vestibule at each end. I have the footprint that goes with it, but Tyvek is good to have along for many things, even under the hammock when it is hung so you have a place to kick off your boots and keep your feet clean.
I also have a small traditional hammock I can use to put gear in under the big hammock .

51WasAVun2L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Last edited:
A member at the CX500 Forum just put up his '83 CX650T turbo asking about the same price I am planning to spent on an NC. It is sooo tempting to the teenager within! But I know I need the NC first. Maybe after the NC I will get a tubo. When my skill level is up to one. As the seller says who owns both, "The turbo pulls like a Hayabusa."

Back