• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

giant loop

First, the photos I'm showing now i took with my phone, my other, and much more pics I won't be able to get too till after I get to my computer.

Day 2: the Dragon slayer

Before leaving Gatlinburg, the wife had to go check out the salt and pepper museum. It was kind of cheesy, but was more interesting than I thought it would be. It was worth the $3, that also gives you $3 off the purchase in the gift shop. The wife found a set she liked and for $3 they even mailed it home for us... 20,000 salt and pepper shakers and i didn't see one motorcycle set.

Next, we left for the land of the Dragon.

Leaving Gatlinburg we took a bunch of nice, twisty roads, that we pretty much had all to our selves. I took some video, but again, I'll have to wait till I can upload them.

The twisty roads eventually lead to the foot hills parkway, after almost a straight up climb there were some nice views at the top.

The Dragon was the Dragon, fun, and wasn't busy. (Came through around noon if anyone wants to find my picture)

Speaking of, one of the rallys came through while we were resting at the store, nothing like watching a few million bucks worth of super cars roll buy. I got video on my phone so be prepared for that.

We followed 129 and had lunch at MakAly's on main. My turkey sandwich was, well, a turkey sandwich. The wife's Cuban was really good though.

After lunch we ventured down to misty mountain GA and found a free campsite. There was nothing but a tent pad and fire ring, and a river close by. I don't know why, but I brought my nalgene bottle and a water purifier... I'm glad I did now.

A nice fire, and a little relaxing, and the day was done.

Last edited:
Day three: making tracks?

Woke up to the sound of rain, it was still dark out, so I didn't care. Sun was coming up and the rain would shift from light, too heavy, to light again... this should be fun. After stalling as long as we could, we started to brake camp. Fun fact, Georgia has scorpions, I did not know this until one crawled out from under the tent while I was rolling it up.:amazon:pope. Spider, mixed with lobsters, mixed with nightmares.

After a change of undies, we headed off in a light rain, about 10 minutes later the sun started to poke through the clouds and the rain stopped... timing is everything I guess.

From misty mountain we worked our way to big bob gibsons in decatur, Alabama for some ribs and a stuffed potato.

After the late lunch we went to the William b. Bankhead national park... there was supposed to be a campground with showers and stuff... it was there, but closed to due to a bunch of downed trees. It looked like a tornado came through. New plan, find a campground/hotel.

Leaving the closed campground we started towards the closest town, down a dirt road, that got rough, and had red sand, and a few steep hill climbs. 2up, + gear, on street tires...hummm:muutt:doh. I did keep the Robert side down but I had a pucker moment or two.

Finally made it to a hotel in Hamilton Alabama, thinking about the next move.

Been so long since I lived in Decatur I'd forgotten about Big Bob's. Decent BBQ.
The sting from those scorpions is about the same as a bee. My dad stepped on one barefoot once.
Got harassed by the cops in Hamilton as a teen. Spent the weekend with a friend at his grandparent's. Being a small town they didn't recognize the car so pulled us over to scope us out. Grandparents heard it all on the scanner.

Day 4: birth of a king

After we left the hotel in bfe we went to the birthplace of the king of rock and roll, Elvis.

There is a thing as too much Elvis though

And of course they sold blue suede shoes

On the way out of town snapped this picture.

Missed the one at the tank... wrong side of a busy road.

After a quick lunch we jumped onto the natchez chase parkway. The parkway is nice as it lets you run about 55mph with no stop signs etc. It's a pretty ride, but coming from the mountains in the east, it's a bit, underwhelming. There is some history to see though, like these mounds.

These are basically where the tribes burnt their dead... not feeling it.

We stopped outside of jackson, ms for the night.

Somehow we keep ending up on dirt/gravel roads. After jumping off of the parkway to get gas the gps took us down a gravel road to get back on. This was not normal gravel, but small boulders...I was surprised that I made it through without too much of an issue.

The bike has been running well at this point without any issues. Only thing that could be better is a suspension upgrade. Twisting the throttle, with near its 400lbs+ payload max, it digs in and speeds on up.

Mpg has been, 54, 50 (cold, windy, interstate) 70, 68, 68... not too shabby.

Tomorrow, heading towards Shreveport.

Check out the mounds off the parkway near Natchez. Largest in U.S. Could play football on top and never worry about a stray ball going off the side. Then ponder the effort to build it by hauling dirt one basket at a time. What ancient cultures built without modern tools is amazing.

Day 5: ambushed

Leaving the hotel in Jackson we returned to the natchez and rode it to its completion.

The original trail has been sunken due to all the traveling that was done on it.

After finishing the trace we worked our way up towards Shreveport Louisiana. On the way we grabbed a bite at the brisket hut, where the wife got the best bbq sandwich ever... seriously, she would come back to Louisiana just too eat there.

The last stop of the day was at the Bonnie and Clyde ambush museum. It was neat, and kind of cheesy. Worth the stop.

By the time we were finished with the museum it had started to rain, rain gear on, and off we go. Heading out my gps started going nuts because I was heading in the wrong direction, and it kept telling me it had found a faster route. My rain gloves don't work with the touch screen... detracted with that i nearly missed a stop sign and slammed on my brakes. My feet weren't set and the bike started to fall. Somehow though,I named to save it. This time I pulled over, got everything adjusted, and rode off into the rain to the camp ground. By the time we got to camp about 30 minutes later the rain had stopped... end of the day.

Day 7: zero day.

We're at the half way point, currently relaxing outside of Tulsa, Oklahoma.

The puig windscreen and extra wind deflector was worth the investment, even if it has picked up plenty of Louisiana hitchhikers.

The only bike problem I've had, was a fight between my hugger and tool tube.

Not sure how it happened, but i just ripped the broken piece off.

Other than that, keeping my phone charged has been challenging. With Google maps, rever, Bluetooth, music going, all with the screen on it can't keep up. Turning the screen off helps a lot.

Our $100 headsets are starting to fail in weird ways. Intercom to the wife and she can't hear me, but if I call her she can... well could. Her speakers started to not work on the trip to the store earlier, hopefully, restarting it fixes the problem. Just gives me a reason to justify getting a sena now.:D:gdog

Well, that's about it for today.

Check out the mounds off the parkway near Natchez. Largest in U.S. Could play football on top and never worry about a stray ball going off the side. Then ponder the effort to build it by hauling dirt one basket at a time. What ancient cultures built without modern tools is amazing.

So the wife, who is native American, wanted no parts of the mounds, even more so when we found out that they burnt the dead there before they covered them.

They were pretty impressive considering how they were made though.

Day 8: a reunion

After catching breakfast we rolled out of camp heading towards Arkansas. Getting close to the line we actually started seeing mountains again...

Half way through the state I ran into another nc700x owner, our very own bamamate... ok, it was planned as he welcomed his home to us for the night. We are very grateful for his hospitality, and enjoyed our time with him... even if we did bore the wife some lol.

Day 9: death of a king (and an aggravated me.)

Hitting the road through Arkansas turned into a dull ride. Exiting the hills you find yourself back in flat land between rice fields. It was neat to see the fields and the little earthen dams they build I the fields for when they flood them. It was also really neat at the how perfect the placement of each plant was. But looking at just rice fields for hours makes it hard to stay awake.
We finally made it to Wilson, Ar where there is a native American museum... but it is closed on Mondays... well crap. No worries though, our next stop is Graceland, about 45 min away.

Traffic sucks, traffic in big cities suck worse. After riding mostly back roads and going through small towns it was a bit of a shock... but not as big as the prices at Graceland. $10 for parking, $40 per person just to tour the mansion, $80 per for the big package, man screw that.

So after hitting the gift shops we rolled out for some dinner... New region, New bbq. Turns out I'm not a fan of dry rubbed, but the stuff at corkys was still good.

Bama told me a place to check out but I couldn't remember the name... days on the road and getting old will do that.

After dinner, we ride across town to cycle gear to enjoy their a.c. (85 and sunny all day) we also got a screw replaced to fell out of the wife's helmet and i bought her a sena 20s and myself a 10c. She about died when she saw the total...

After scraping her up off the floor, we got out of Memphis and slowly started the climb into higher elevations. Between the sun lowering, and going into some mountains it suddenly got cold on us, but it was a nice change.

After riding for about an hour we hit a hotel for the night.

Day 10: back into the mountains

So i lost the first 60 miles or so with rever. My phone had to be reset and it didn't save it.

We decided to push out and get to Lexington before we stopped. By interstate, it doesn't take that long but we've been avoiding them so it took a decent amount of time. This puts us at about 8 hours of drive time left to make it home in two days. We'll probably push it today as well just to keep Thursday a shorter day. Being home again will be nice although i know the first two days will be spent running around doing some stuff that has to be done.

I didn't take any pics today, I thought I did though. I was playing with my sena 10c, took pics and vids but there wasn't anything on the card... bummer. I know the firmware needs to be updated and the sd card I'm using could be an issue as well. I'll figure it out eventually I guess.

So yesterday we went from Lexington, KY to Elkins, WV. Today we rode home. I forgot to turn Rever on this morning so there are no tracks for that ride. I do have some videos of some stuff, now I just have to upload them. After I got home I updated the firmware of the sena 10c and that appears to be working like it should now. I might start a day tripper thread of some of the local rides I do. This is going to be a picture heavy thread of some of the random things I got with my camera.

To start, yesterdays ride.

Some of the mountains close to home...and not even the good ones.

bear haven campground, the last night of our trip

some of the more interesting salt and pepper shakers.

umm, it's kind of flat around here

or wet

spent a little less than $.03 per mile. Biggest expense, by far, was the Sena headsets. Not including them, without surprise, is lodging. We didn't camp nearly as much as we should have, but twice we kinda bailed at the last moment when the campgrounds we chose had problems. All in all, it was a great trip. Only complaint from the wife is the vibrations on the back. Some of that could have been the load weight, and some of that is because Honda designed a little vibe in the engine. Honda got the feedback though, and fixed the vibration in the later years, but not in my 2012.

My only complaint is the stock suspension setup just isn't good, but I'm about to do some shopping to fix that.

The brisket hut in Louisiana wins for best food, with porkies in Memphis being a good second.

Top things I've learnt
11. The bungee net i bough proved extremely useful
10. tar snakes suck
9. I can't pronounce half the names I came across
8. There is a random decorated Christmas tree on the side of the Indian nation highway in Oklahoma
7. If you are in front of me, there is a 40% chance that at least one of your brake lights are out
6. freecampsites.net has more up to date information than the National parks websites
5. I've been spoiled with the roads around here
4. out west a town might not have a gas station but they will have either a dollar general, a sonic, or both
3. my bike is a skeeter killa
2. 65+ mpg average is awesome
1. prices I thought were high for an attraction ($20ish) was considered cheap when compared to Graceland (don't get me started)

Back