• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Getting Frustrated with Seat and Windshield Issues

Sit & Fly seat cover and raising the front of the seat did me just fine. Pictures of the Sit & Fly multiweave:

12234990_867789653334462_5852212726330743041_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This has been a very helpful thread. With a mere 500 miles on my new NC I'm hardly qualified to give much advice, but since I didn't see any reference to a gel seat pad I thought it might be worth tossing out there. I transferred a gel seat cushion over from my other bike. I believe it is a medium size cruiser model. Oversize for the NC seat, it tends to hang off until it molds over and begins to take the shape of the NC seat after some use. I like it better than the air hawk - yep, I've been burning through seat fix dollars too over the years - which even minimally inflated left me feeling disconnected and floating on the bike. The gel pad has made a huge difference for the investment. It has the added affect of raising me up a half to one inch and eliminating any forward slope.

As for the windscreen, wow, I'm soaking up the suggestions myself. I'm shocked at the noise levels produced by the stock screen even with ear plugs. Buffeting isn't bothering me as much as the noise. I do wear a full face helmet. I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam.

Thanks everyone for all of the replies. What a great place!

The wind from the stock windscreen would hit me right in the throat. It would push the collar of my jacket into my throat and make me feel like I was gagging the whole time I was riding. Couldn't get rid of that thing fast enough.

Where did you get the gel seat? Any photos of it? Or a link?

Gibsito, bought it several years ago from the Motorcycle Superstore. Label is long gone off of it and a quick search of their website doesn't bring up the brand I think it was - Pro Pad. As I recall it was deeply discounted at the time which enticed me to try it (glad I did!) so maybe it was on clearance. Do a search, there seems to be a lot of styles out there and some seem reasonable at least to me. Works better (and cheaper!!) than the expensive air hawk I bought and which now resides in the closet. Honestly I don't think I'll need to do a seat upgrade as long as I use this gel cushion. Only recommendation I would make is to get one that measures larger than you think you need. It will somewhat mold to the shape of the seat and any "overhang" just gives your butt and upper thighs that much more surface area to rest on.

Thanks. I was just curious, but I doubt it would work for me anyway. The Sit&Fly seat cover I just put on raised me up a mere 9 mm and I had to lower the bike (again). I wasn't blessed with long legs. :) But for anyone else who's interested, here's their website.

Last edited:
I finally got the chance to go for a longish ride with the new Lexan DIY windshield and Sit & Fly seat cover. I repeated the same ride that gave me the butt ache and wind shear issues off the Puig. It couldn't have gone much better. There was zero butt ache and the wind issues were greatly improved. I mentioned earlier that putting the Puig clip-on visor on my Lexan windshield improved the ride to about as good as it could get, but obscured my view of the road. I will probably make my own visor out of the remaining pieces of Lexan I have and figure out some way to mount it lower than the Puig was.

Many thanks to greenboy for the tip on the Sit & Fly seat cover - it made a huge difference.

Here are a few photos I took while taking a break up near Mt. Ashland Ski Area. Sorry for the quality - only had my phone with me.

MtAshland151135.jpg

MtAshland151111.jpg

Attachments

• MtAshland151013.jpg
    MtAshland151013.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
Hi where did you get that piece of lexan . Thanks.

it's not even a lexan. just a piece of acrylic i found at home. i think it was part of gift package from Bloomingdale or something. i cut off the corners. made a little frame out of a hanger, put whole thing into a small electric oven,warmed up for 10-15 min at 350-370F
, until it starts sagging. then bend it on my trash bin. here is a whole setup :)
made this thing like 3 years ago and posted here. not sure where. still using it. seat with a black cabinet liner also works just fine. but i'm not making thousands miles each and every year. specially lately.

d671b258e594.jpg

97b83fc5b8d0.jpg

3abd3c4586e7.jpg

same for seat-

94442f97db51.jpg

d2e89703b802.jpg

it's really easy to shave a bit from the seat. all you need is a cheap stapler to staple it back to the frame and something like a mouse sander.
but i agree with OP and totally undestand him -i did not expect all this from top of the line manufacturer. yes, bike is cheap,but those are basic things. they did fixed all those issues on later model,but still-what there were thinking,putting such a slop on the seat, so everyone slide forward and ride on their balls. looks to me that they not even ever tested it for long ride. bunch of little things that just a common sense today.

couple holes on the top of a frunk,so we can attach a bag on it. those are common sense stuff, that cost them NOTHING.

a7d8b18e01e8.jpg
i'm talking about those black thingies.
wider side cowls or whatever they are called, so rider will be protected from wind. really basic stuff.
i use to use one simple rule that served me well for a very long time-never buy anything new,that just been rolled into production. always buy LAST model of whatever before newest one. car or bike-all same.lesson been re-learned. never seen anything that required so much work and lack of aftermarket parts (that awfully overpriced most of the time) and bike itself depreciating so rapidly in price. i like it,but for me personally-it's a mistake in every direction i look. i should spend more time for research and wait much much longer before i pulled the trigger on this one. previous one (CBR) was no brainier-bought it ,ride for two years-sold with a little profit. looks like i'm stuck with this one. but that's ok, i still have plenty of ideas regarding those little mods for NC. maybe some day i will finally able to establish a small manufacturing shop where i can make parts and sell them. and turn this little sucker into a profitable hobby :)

Yeah the seat and the windshield make no sense to me at all. They're universally hated. I would have expected more from Honda. But I still love the bike, especially now with these mods. Twenty-five bucks for the seat cover and $22 for the Lexan. And maybe it's just my imagination but after doing the 8,000 mile service last week it seems like it's a little more powerful. The valves on #1 were a little tight, but in all likelihood I'm just imagining things. It was a fun ride anyway. Much more fun when my butt isn't killing me. :)

One of the advantage of the beaded seat cover is the ability to move around easily while riding which to me means a lot. When your butt is stuck in one place for too long, pain is going to develop!

One thing the Sit & Fly does is let air in between your butt and the seat to keep things cool. It's very noticeable. I imagine the beads do that too. Moving around isn't difficult either and, yes, that helps a lot as well.

Coming from a dualsport-riding mindset, the Sit & Fly allows you to shift positions as needed without inclines or jolts affecting how you've planted yourself. It grips riding pants just right and the extra layer itself doesn't move or shift. And of course the bit of cushy give it adds makes what's under it seem a little more like a seat for a longer period -- which on a lot of the dualsport seats or the NC, makes it seem like riding all day is better than bearable ; }

Hi where did you get that piece of lexan . Thanks.

Home Depot sells acrylic (Plexiglas) and Lexan. If I had to do mine over again I might take a closer look at acrylic. Lexan is very strong but it flexes quite a bit in the wind. I mounted a piece of flat iron across it about in the middle to give it more rigidity. It works fine that way, but I think a thicker piece of acrylic is about the same price as the thinner Lexan and would have been more rigid. Not sure how difficult it is to bend though.

as i wrote above-make a wire frame, place piece on top of it, gradually warm it up in a small oven at app.350F until it's start sagging and bend anyway you like. just not too fast. if you have spare pairs of hands and heat gun-that would be even better. use thick gloves. like welding gloves or something similar. decent size of acrylic that should be enough to at least couple screens cost like $8 at home depot. even if you screw up something-no big deal. it doesn't have to be wide too. few inches is more than enough. once you got the wind over the top of your helmet-pure silence.
acrylic won't stick to aluminum foil(see pic above).

Last edited:
someoe posted a link to a windscreen extention while ago. looks like a decent quality and cost $28 on ebay. for $28- i would rather buy that,instead of trying to make my own. unless you have time,tools and materials

My complaint on the seat . The front of the seat is "short " and at times if I move forward , inevitably I'll do the holiday version of the " nutcracker". No remedy as of yet

MadStad..
No air at all in mid section
A tiny bit at very top of helmet but no buffeting
A lot of air just outside the body on both sides...but very comfortable...in the clear zone...

Great feedback guys and gals.

For what it’s worth, I do not like my Madstad and would sell it, just doesn’t work for me, too much buffeting regardless of setting. And I always wear ear buds or plugs regardless of helmet.

Airhawk R works on both my bikes. (very little air)

+1 on riding shorts and pants

I posted pics of my seat “lift” using rubber corks found at local hardware.
inditex

Back