• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Gear Indicator

Scooter

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone,
I’m the new guy and just had a question, has anyone installed a gear Indicator on a 2012 700X, I just got mine this weekend and I love it, took my first real ride today

Thanks

First off, congratulations and welcome. I think many of us remember that feeling of "What gear am I in?" in our early days of riding. I'm not sure how involved adding a gear indicator is to bikes without one (or if it's even possible) but I'm happy to share some tips that I have given other new riders.

1. Return to first gear every time when stopping for a red light. (watch for the neutral light when first learning)
2. Double check step 1 after stopping and before starting off again.
3. Find some reference points on the speedo and tach and learn them. One that I remember learning was 3-4-5. (<=3K RPM @ 40 MPH = 5th gear)
4. I found there are certain sweet spots for my weight and riding style. My minimums for the NC700X are 35 MPH for 5th gear, and min 50 MPH for 6th.
5. Work on keeping the engine in its happy range (2-4K RPM for this bike) by watching the tach at first. After a while you'll trust the feel of the engine alone and won't really need to look at the tach that much.

Happy riding,
Saturday

Sorry, dont have a gear indicator added..I have the 2013 Nc700x...I learned quickly that at 3400 rpms the first # in the speed is the gear I am in...works from 2-6 gear and after 56,000+ miles on the bike just glancing at the tach, even above 3400 rpms I know what gear I am in.. Example: at 3400 rpm and at 56 mph, I am in 5th gear or at 38mph I am in 3rd gear.

I haven’t heard of any gear indicator installations.

I do think it is common for riders of a new bike to be in the wrong gear at times, and thinking if there was an indicator, it would help. I felt that way when my Goldwing was new. I got a gear indicator. It worked awhile then broke. I threw it away. At that point I didn‘t care because I was accustomed to the bike and automatically new what gear it in and how much to shift down at corners, etc. I now ride four bikes ranging from 144cc to 1832cc. They all have different power bands and gear ratios, but over time I learn to be in the right gear at the right time regardless of the bike I’m on. Each time I change bikes I adopt the right shifting habits. I have no need or desire for a gear indicator.

My point is that spending some time on the bike will lessen your desIre for a gear indicator. You would probably reach a point where you would ignore it anyway.

The manual car I learned on had no tach or gear indicator. Neither of my Suzuki bikes have either.

I do wish I had a tach. My ears still work, so I still have a gear-shift-indicator.

I have a MY17 NC700. It has a gear indicator. It's not that useful. I've still shifted at incorrect times. I've still shifted from 6th into 6th.

The one time it was interesting was the time I managed to find false neutral

First off, congratulations and welcome. I think many of us remember that feeling of "What gear am I in?" in our early days of riding. I'm not sure how involved adding a gear indicator is to bikes without one (or if it's even possible) but I'm happy to share some tips that I have given other new riders.

1. Return to first gear every time when stopping for a red light. (watch for the neutral light when first learning)
2. Double check step 1 after stopping and before starting off again.
3. Find some reference points on the speedo and tach and learn them. One that I remember learning was 3-4-5. (<=3K RPM @ 40 MPH = 5th gear)
4. I found there are certain sweet spots for my weight and riding style. My minimums for the NC700X are 35 MPH for 5th gear, and min 50 MPH for 6th.
5. Work on keeping the engine in its happy range (2-4K RPM for this bike) by watching the tach at first. After a while you'll trust the feel of the engine alone and won't really need to look at the tach that much.

Happy riding,
Saturday
Thanks for that, sounds very helpful

Sorry, dont have a gear indicator added..I have the 2013 Nc700x...I learned quickly that at 3400 rpms the first # in the speed is the gear I am in...works from 2-6 gear and after 56,000+ miles on the bike just glancing at the tach, even above 3400 rpms I know what gear I am in.. Example: at 3400 rpm and at 56 mph, I am in 5th gear or at 38mph I am in 3rd gear.
That’s brilliant, Thanks

Back