• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Garmin Zumo bright enough?

http404

Reaction score
Visit site
I prefer to use a Garmin GPS rather than expose my cell phone to the riding abuse. I've used my car's Garmin Nuvi on the bike many times and it generally performs well BUT it's very hard to see in daylight, and of course it's not waterproof. I'm willing to step up to a Zumo to improve my bike use but I don't want to drop that much cash if a Zumo is just a waterproof Nuvi. So, all the blather aside, I wanted to ask Zumo users about their experience in real life. The company script says they are bright but they probably also think the Nuvi is bright. Are the Zumo units worth the price and are they useable in bright daylight? I appreciate any advice you may offer.

I too use a Nuvi as my bike GPS, and yes, it can get washed out in bright sunlight.
I actually built a shade for it, which Velcro’s on, and makes it much easier to see. There are commercially made ones which are quite reasonable also.
Good luck!

I too use a Nuvi as my bike GPS, and yes, it can get washed out in bright sunlight.
I actually built a shade for it, which Velcro’s on, and makes it much easier to see. There are commercially made ones which are quite reasonable also.
Good luck!
Thanks for reply. I've seen those on Amazon and questioned their effectiveness... Sounds like for $20 it's not a bad gamble vs spending hundreds more for a Zumo. I actually like the Nuvi better and they do still work with gloves, as you know.

Different Zumos have different screen brightness and contrast so a model number would be helpful. All motorcycle GPS could probably benefit from a sun shade but I haven't yet found the need to use one. The worst time is when the sun is directly behind me and I use the shadow of my head when necessary.

Currently using the Zumo 396 LMS and a really old Zumo 550.

I had a 550 that was plenty bright. It came with my bike otherwise I probably wouldn't have bought it.

It's hard to justify 4x the price for some waterproofing and a bit of software manipulation...

After owning a Zumo 550, 660 (with sunshade) and now a XT I can say the XT is the best. It's bright enough to see in the sun and does more than I need. It can get complex because there's a ton of options, but there's an lot of support from users.

Different Zumos have different screen brightness and contrast so a model number would be helpful. All motorcycle GPS could probably benefit from a sun shade but I haven't yet found the need to use one. The worst time is when the sun is directly behind me and I use the shadow of my head when necessary.

Currently using the Zumo 396 LMS and a really old Zumo 550.
I was just poking around eBay for a used model, obviously trying NOT to spend $500+ for the latest models...since I have two Nuvi already. The 396 and 550 are both there and a 220, if I remember the number. They seem to hover around $150-200 and I was okay with that but I did see that the 550 is from about 2007 so that model is probably too old. I found a shaded case on Amazon for $42, double the non shaded cases but what can you do. It arrives today and I have a group ride tomorrow so I'll post a quick review on the "mods" page, which I assume is the correct location. I'm new here so I will have to check to see if there's a product review forum that's more appropriate. I appreciate your response! My Nuvi 2557 LMT is updating right now and i love it, so I'm hopeful the shaded bag will do the trick. Its a pretty big shade so I'm hopeful.

There are many models of Zumo. Brightness levels can vary.

In addition to the Zumo, you have the Nuvi 500 and 550 models that are also waterproof. They are 10 year old models but I prefer them over the latest Zumo units. Note that a Nuvi 550 and a Zumo 550 are two different models.

I prioritize the operational aspects of the GPS over the brightness level. If it doesn’t work well, the brightness really doesn’t matter. I currently use Garmin Nuvi 500/550, Zumo 220, and Zumo 396 on my various motorcycles. The 500,550,220 are my favorites for exploring backroads. The Zumo 396 is modern but really best for getting from point A to point B. The latest Zumo models are just adaptations of automotive units and less useful for exploring. Map detail, waypoint markings, and pan/zoom functions are lacking on the 396. I previously had a Garmin Zumo 390 which was the worst Garmin model I ever owned, and fortunately I was able to sell it on eBay.

Back to your question, the brightness level has not really been an issue for me with any of them. Your experience may vary.

Last edited:
I had an XT for s short period of time.
Its screen was very bright.
I didn't like its inability to communicate nicely with my Mac computers.
I went back to my good old 396.
The screen isn't as bright, but it works really well with my Macs and is very reliable.
It is also built like a tank.
The XT didn't seem to be nearly as "heavy duty".

After an initial learning period I haven't had problems with Intel Mac/Zumo XT pairing.
I gave up quickly with that XT.
Trying to import gpx files and have the XT recognize Basecamp on my old 2013 iMac was a PITA.
The 396 has no such issues.
But maybe I just didn't try hard enough!

There are many models of Zumo. Brightness levels can vary.

In addition to the Zumo, you have the Nuvi 500 and 550 models that are also waterproof. They are 10 year old models but I prefer them over the latest Zumo units. Note that a Nuvi 550 and a Zumo 550 are two different models.

I prioritize the operational aspects of the GPS over the brightness level. If it doesn’t work well, the brightness really doesn’t matter. I currently use Garmin Nuvi 500/550, Zumo 220, and Zumo 396 on my various motorcycles. The 500,550,220 are my favorites for exploring backroads. The Zumo 396 is modern but really best for getting from point A to point B. The latest Zumo models are just adaptations of automotive units and less useful for exploring. Map detail, waypoint markings, and pan/zoom functions are lacking on the 396. I previously had a Garmin Zumo 390 which was the worst Garmin model I ever owned, and fortunately I was able to sell it on eBay.

Back to your question, the brightness level has not really been an issue for me with any of them. Your experience may vary.
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Back roads are the goal for our upcoming tour.

Back