• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Fuel Tank Capacity VS reserve

the Ferret

Reaction score
Visit site
On the 2021 NC 750 it counts down on reserve how many 1/10ths of a gallon you have used out of a .7 gallon reserve (lower left side of gauge once it goes on reserve (a flashing red block on the fuel gauge on upper left side of gauge)

On today's ride I got down to using .6 of the .7 reserve (Went on .6 at 204 miles and went another 3 miles to the gas station)

bPf8gx6h.jpg

Filled it up until it was almost coming out the overflow

VatJ3Evh.jpg

It took 3.29 gals to refill (62.9 mpg on this tank)

LMtS1Bch.jpg

The tank reportedly holds 3.8 gals but it would appear after going thru .7 reserve I would still have 1/2 gallon or another 30 miles in the tank.

That’s not even close to how high I fill the tank. I fill until another tiny squirt would overflow the fill opening. I try to maximize range.

My 2012 has a different tank size (3.7 gal) than the ’21, but I have twice put 3.55 gallons in the tank. The 2012 doesn’t do the countdown thing.

lol I think you are seeing a reflection, that gas is completely covering the metal plate by 3/8". Another little squirt WILL send it into the overflow tube. That's as much as I could stuff in it before overflowing. I don't normally fill it that high. Normally a part of the metal plate is above gas level.

One of these days I'm going to see just how far I can go on a tank, even if it's by accident lol.

I usually just fill until the nozzle clicks. We have those big rubber boots were I live and it’s hard not spilling or splashing fuel.

I am with 670cc....I fill it up until a next squirt will come over the top...dont think I have ever stopped at the flange down in the tank...and once I have filled it up and it took 3.6 gallons (it has a 3.7 gallon tank)-2013 model....and dont have that stupid count up or count down or whatever it is called....mine just starts flashing and I know time to start looking for a gas station...and have about 50 miles before it is out....closet I came to that was on my butt burner ride (1054 miles in 17 hours)...I had just went past an exit on I-65 somewhere down south (cant remember if it was in TN or Alabama) and it started flashing.....normally not a worry since I-65 has gas stops every 20 miles or so, but at the 20 mile mark after flashing,,,,the gas station was closed...had to go on further south another 20 miles to get gas...and it took the 3.6 gallons...yikes.

Over the years with my previous NC i filled it several times to 3.5 and 3.6. Once did i ever make it just right and topped it off the same way as mentioned here before right up to 3.7! As a habbit, i always park where there is a slight slop forwards for fuel/rain run off i'm sure. I place the bike on the center stand and top it off the same way where it is nearly spilling out and just nurse it to the top so to speak haha! Then ride until it is time to do that again if possible, as a habit i always do that. Otherwise it just is what it is haha. :{)

mine was screaming at me a mile after I left the house. I rode 30 miles to the gas station and it only took 3 gallons to fill after travelling 190 miles

I usually just fill until the nozzle clicks. We have those big rubber boots were I live and it’s hard not spilling or splashing fuel.
This might help.

Normal fill ups about 3 gal at around 200mi. If i am just filling the tank and running around I never go over that plate about 1.5in down,think that is in the owners manual. The charcoal canister can get saturated and set a code if overfilled. Most fuel containers need a head space to allow expansion. If on the open road for a all day ride I will go over but not much higher. My 12 service manual shows capacity to be 3.73 us gal. On one all day ride up in the hills of New Hampshire i hit 240mi and needed 3.4 gal have not done that again.

Normal fill ups about 3 gal at around 200mi. If i am just filling the tank and running around I never go over that plate about 1.5in down,think that is in the owners manual. The charcoal canister can get saturated and set a code if overfilled. Most fuel containers need a head space to allow expansion. If on the open road for a all day ride I will go over but not much higher. My 12 service manual shows capacity to be 3.73 us gal. On one all day ride up in the hills of New Hampshire i hit 240mi and needed 3.4 gal have not done that again.
I know what my 2012 NC700X manual says on the refueling pages about filling up only to the plate, but I don't see any sentence(s) about charcoal canister saturation or setting a code. On what page was that found? I have filled my NC700X 294 times, with probably 99% of those fill ups right to the top of the tank neck just before it spills over, and there has never been a problem or a code, or a failed fuel system component. I don't recall anyone on this forum ever reporting a problem due to filling the tank all the way up. As for allowing expansion space, I know very well not to fill the tank all the way, then go park the bike in the sun. Fill it and ride on. The tank is small enough as it is so I'm going to use all of it's capacity when I fill up.

In the 2012 service manual, the PGM-FI DTC Index does not list a fault code related to the evaporative emissions control. If there were a problem in that area, I don’t how it would be apparent.

My service manual shows the evaporative emissions control (charcoal canister) on '16-'17 NC700X manual and DCT versions and '18-'20 750X, manual and DCT versions, labeled AC in the model number.
Examples would be NC700X AC or NC700XD AC and NC750X AC or NC750XD AC, the D means DCT equipped.
The AC version is the 50 state US version.
The A version is the 49 state (excludes California) US version.
No Canadian versions have ever had the evap control.
The Canadian model numbers are all NC750X CM or NC750XD CM, the CM standing for Canadian Model.
We never had an NC700X available in Canada.
I don't know what the '21-'22 versions have for evap control.

Last edited:
I can only comment on my experience. The only issue I have had with overfilling is the wasted fuel that comes out through the overflow hose.

I know what my 2012 NC700X manual says on the refueling pages about filling up only to the plate, but I don't see any sentence(s) about charcoal canister saturation or setting a code. On what page was that found? I have filled my NC700X 294 times, with probably 99% of those fill ups right to the top of the tank neck just before it spills over, and there has never been a problem or a code, or a failed fuel system component. I don't recall anyone on this forum ever reporting a problem due to filling the tank all the way up. As for allowing expansion space, I know very well not to fill the tank all the way, then go park the bike in the sun. Fill it and ride on. The tank is small enough as it is so I'm going to use all of it's capacity when I fill up.
I can’t speak to the charcoal canister or lack thereof on the NC700x, ( mine is a 2013 model), but on the ST1300 I own, I quit trying to fill it “ all the way “ when I could smell a strong odor of gas all the time in my garage, and isolated it to the charcoal canister. It eventually cleared up, but took a month or so. It did not set a code, but it DID smell pretty strong. I now fill the tank ( esp the ST) on the side stand, and stop when it hits the little bar inside e the tank.
To be honest, I’ve never looked inside the filler tube area to actually SEE if there is a tube for a charcoal canister, but it was never really ( IMO) a need to fill it to the brim. Now I’ll have to go look!
YMMV.

Sorry for the line "can set a code". That comes from all the years as a ASE mech. I have seen many fuel injected vehicles over the years where the charcoal canister was saturated from fuel tanks being over filled and when the purge happens the excess fuel from a saturated canister puts the O2 sensor full rich which the ECM goes to a lower fuel trim. The system never gets lean enough and the "check engine light" comes on to show rich condition. I am not sure but there can be a check valve in the tank that only allows vapor not fluid to escape,some tanks have this valve. It would be easy to check on your next fill up. Just remove the vent hose on top of the tank and when you fill it to the top you should see fuel comes out or not.

I was just researching the reserve light and remaining fuel at the point in which the light comes on. I am using my bike mostly for commuting and I have a 70 mile round trip to work. I have only had the reserve light show once and I wasn’t sure when it came on so I panicked and stopped for fuel immediately.

I prefer to fill up near home and it seems I can safely make it 3 trips before having to refill. Despite having fuel stations all along the way-I’m partial to planning my fuel stops and maximizing my travel strictly for, well, traveling.

Last night I left work with 2 squares on the fuel gauge, tons of wind pushing me all over the road, but I took it easy staying at 60mph and got to my local fuel station without a low fuel light illuminated.

I feel a lot more confident now that I’ve read some threads on the subject and have a better grasp on how much fuel I have left. I’m averaging 50-60mpg most of the time which is better than the Tacoma!

If you are curious to the range on reserve, in my experience you should get 7 to 11 miles per 0.1 litre. That works out to 45-70 miles total. The most i have got is 66 then I ran out of fuel. So I would say you should easily get 50 miles before panic setting in. I normally aim for 55 miles as my marker with my eco riding to get to cheapest petrol station rather than nearest as here in the UK petrol stations vary can in price by 20%.

If you are curious to the range on reserve, in my experience you should get 7 to 11 miles per 0.1 litre. That works out to 45-70 miles total. The most i have got is 66 then I ran out of fuel. So I would say you should easily get 50 miles before panic setting in. I normally aim for 55 miles as my marker with my eco riding to get to cheapest petrol station rather than nearest as here in the UK petrol stations vary can in price by 20%.
I have come to the same number. Each time I get to the flashing RES I’m barely putting in 3 gallons, so I figure I have about 1 gallon left - 60 miles on reserve. For me it’s more about the inconvenience of exiting the expressway and fueling up. I’m partial to stopping on the road back home in direct route.

Back