• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Fuel Savings = Honda payment

JPD750

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The price of fuel is quite high. Part of the reason I purchased my NC was to offset the cost of commuting whilst utilizing the savings to finance my bike purchase. I certainly did not foresee $5.69 a gallon last year when I signed on the dotted line. I’m now seeing the benefits in savings. My Tacoma was approaching $90/week in fuel for commuting to work.

I’m getting over 5 round trips on my NC for around $35. Any savings is a plus. $200+ month fantastic.

I know I likely won’t ride EVERY day, but now I can quantify to my wife how much money I can spend on accessories for my bike.

The price of fuel is quite high. Part of the reason I purchased my NC was to offset the cost of commuting whilst utilizing the savings to finance my bike purchase. I certainly did not foresee $5.69 a gallon last year when I signed on the dotted line. I’m now seeing the benefits in savings. My Tacoma was approaching $90/week in fuel for commuting to work.

I’m getting over 5 round trips on my NC for around $35. Any savings is a plus. $200+ month fantastic.

I know I likely won’t ride EVERY day, but now I can quantify to my wife how much money I can spend on accessories for my bike.

Don‘t let your wife find out what motorcycle tires cost and how short lived they are, or the math might not work in your favor.

With gas at 5$ a gallon I have to ride 4000 miles to pay for a new set of shinko ravens

I have close to 12k, and counting, on the front and rear. I replaced them at 8,200 mi and am sitting just under 20k now.
The rear is definitely nearing the end of it's life.

I got about the same mileage with them on my old Ninja 650R. Went through 2 sets over 20k mi and the 2nd set had life when I sold it.

I suppose 15k mi was a little optimistic even for me. I will probably change the rear sometime within the next thousand miles... The tread is almost at the wear indicator.
20k+ on the front shouldn't be a problem.

Attachments

• Raven 12k (2).jpg
    Raven 12k (2).jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Raven 12k (1).jpg
    Raven 12k (1).jpg
    249 KB · Views: 14
I suppose 15k mi was a little optimistic even for me. I will probably change the rear sometime within the next thousand miles... The tread is almost at the wear indicator.
20k+ on the front shouldn't be a problem.
Interesting wear pattern. Do you ever turn right o_O

:cool:NASCAR

I think it's a lighting and camera angle optical illusion. If anything, the center is just flat and pretty squared off. I guess I'm the one wasting money by only using 1/3 of the tire.

You are talking front tires ... not rear right?

Rear Ravens still only go about 7,500 miles right?
My current Shinko Raven rear is at 9,220 miles now and it's not done yet. It should go to somewhere between 10,000 and 11,000 miles. Unfortunately this tire went on a long touring trip with mostly straight roads so the center wore before the edges.

The front Raven goes 16,000+ miles depending on how it's used. My last front still had plenty of center tread at 16,000, but I had scrubbed the sides too much on coarse pavement twisties.

Today, with rain on the way in and storms in the forecast I drove my truck. I had to to fill up. Pump stopped just over 17 gallons at $100! Rising tomorrow through the weekend rain or shine.

Today, with rain on the way in and storms in the forecast I drove my truck. I had to to fill up. Pump stopped just over 17 gallons at $100! Rising tomorrow through the weekend rain or shine.
Getting a bit ridiculous right? Luckily, I filled up one of the cars yesterday before gas jumped another 40 cents here :oops:

It speaks for itself and was before recent increases. Nobody is doing anything to help. Both sides of the aisle are paralyzed with fear; one wants to take power in November and the other doesn't want to risk losing face on their environmental agenda and, as usual, we are all stuck in the middle. IMG_0668.jpeg

We can certainly talk about fuel prices and speculate on the reasons, but as a reminder, direct political insults will be deleted and repeat offenders will have their accounts removed.

Taking the thread back to the original topic of saving enough fuel-money to make a bike payment this is the way I see it on my typical driving

My Jetta TDI gets an honest (combined) 38 mpg.
My Audi TDI/APR gets an honest (combined) 34 mpg.
Diesel costs about $0.10 to $0.15 more in my area than unleaded regular gasoline.

My Honda Ridgeline pick up truck is right at 22.2mpg (combined) mileage.

Not exactly sure what the NC750 gets but I suspect it is right in the 65+mpg range. So approx DOUBLE the fuel economy of my diesels. Triple the economy of my pick up truck.

I drive the truck when I need a truck and not a lot for other tasks, so there is no real way to say that I can "save" fuel by switching to the NC750x instead of the Ridgeline.

The custom Audi is the baby-seat car, safe, heavy and used for hauling our foster son and our family in luxury. Again, can't easily substitute that for the NC750x to 'save' any fuel/costs.

My Jetta TDI is my go to commuter car. Almost always by myself. Usually not hauling very much. So probably 80% of the trips I take in that car can be substituted with the motorcycle. Most of my driving lately is under 30 miles round trip. So on a typical trip I'd use 3 quarts of fuel with the Jetta. I'd use a bit over 1 quart with the NC750.

Figure that would be a $2.00 savings per trip. Assume I leave the house 1 time each day with the Jetta (I don't) I would save $60 per month by riding the bike instead of Jetta. Not enough to justify the cost of buying motorcycle. On the other hand, most of my riding is NOT running errands or doing things. Most of my riding is going nowhere, doing nothing, rather it is enjoying instead of doing.

I’m getting about 32 mpg with my ford. My nc gets 64. My daily commute saves me currently 5$ a day Could it pay for a bike payment, yes but then I’d still be on the hook for tires, maintenance and insurance. I view my bike as a hobby that helps pay for itself vs an independent money saving endeavor.

A super-quick calc just now suggests I’d save ~$135 per month on fuel by riding Wiley 100% rather than driving the car. I have a pretty long commute, but that’s still not enough to pay for much but the tires, sprockets, and chains. It won’t replace my gear, never mind pay for the bike. Not even at $5.30/gallon.

Riding is fun. It’s rarely cost-effective in the USA.

BTW, I had thought Biden might have rescinded the permission to export crude oil by now, but AFAIK he hasn’t. I still kinda think he might some time this year. For those unaware, there’s a law that makes it illegal to export crude from the USA unless the President explicitly authorizes it. Anyway, I’m unsure exactly how much that will moderate fuel prices here, because the law only applies to crude, not to products (like gasoline and diesel fuel).

A super-quick calc just now suggests I’d save ~$135 per month on fuel by riding Wiley 100% rather than driving the car. I have a pretty long commute, but that’s still not enough to pay for much but the tires, sprockets, and chains. It won’t replace my gear, never mind pay for the bike. Not even at $5.30/gallon.

Riding is fun. It’s rarely cost-effective in the USA.

BTW, I had thought Biden might have rescinded the permission to export crude oil by now, but AFAIK he hasn’t. I still kinda think he might some time this year. For those unaware, there’s a law that makes it illegal to export crude from the USA unless the President explicitly authorizes it. Anyway, I’m unsure exactly how much that will moderate fuel prices here, because the law only applies to crude, not to products (like gasoline and diesel fuel).
Please reference this "law" that the President allows the export of crude oil. In 2015 Congress lifted a 40 year old ban on oil exports dating from reaction to the OPEC oil embargoes in the early 1970s. It is not currently against US law to export domestic crude oil and there is no current legislation in the House or Senate working to ban it again. Research shows that US policy or law has not changed since Congress passed the Consolidated Appropriations Act HR 2016 in December 2015. There are elements that see it in their favor to lay high gas prices on the White House but facts do not support their cause.

Oil is traded, refined, and distributed on a global scale. Domestic US policy has little to no effect on gas prices in the short and medium term except in the echo chamber that is the internet.

Back