• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Fuel indicator false readings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aden Wileman

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi nc riders, I noticed something strange on the speedo of my nc750x. When looking at the average fuel consumption and current consumption the readings are far from accurate.

The average stays between 22 and 23km/l
The current takes really long to change and shows some strange figures. If you stop at a traffic light it takes about 10 seconds to get to 0 when riding at any speed it shows insane figures like 56km/l and slightly changes if you increase or decrease in speed.
Is there a reset for this? Besides resetting the trip counter which resets everything..
Is it a sign something is going wrong with the bike?
I normally ride looking at just the distance covered and not look at this since its such an economic bike.
I thought I would first post here to see if anyone has experienced this before going to a dealer.

I've had my 2020 since June and the mpg varies greatly for me. When I am on the interstate, I can easily get over 60 mpg, provided I keep my speed around 65 mph. But once I start going 80 mph, it drops. If I am doing city riding with lots of lights, I am somewhere around 53 mpg. If I go a stretch on a highway at 55 mph, my mpg increase rapidly.

I've had my 2020 since June and the mpg varies greatly for me. When I am on the interstate, I can easily get over 60 mpg, provided I keep my speed around 65 mph. But once I start going 80 mph, it drops. If I am doing city riding with lots of lights, I am somewhere around 53 mpg. If I go a stretch on a highway at 55 mph, my mpg increase rapidly.
Yes that sounds normal.
My current consumption for example would show 56km/l if I'm doing 60kph in sixth or 120 in 6th gear..
I don't know how to explain it better only that it is not working as it should.
Ride 10km doing 130 it even increases. Its not possible.
Thus me posting to see if someone else has had this problem or if its a fault with the ecu etc.
Or if there is a way to do a complete reset if that will fix it.

I will go for a ride tomorrow and see how mine behaves.
I never look at the consumption figure on the dash as I have registered with Fuelly and always record all my fill-ups there.

I ride 99% city traffic. Rarely over 65mph(usually about 40mph).
I ride in sport mode 3 and get 63 mpg consistantly with my 2020 NC750XDCT. Rarely does it change and never does it wildly change.

Last edited:
I ride 99% city traffic. Rarely over 65mph(usually about 40mph).
I ride in sport mode 3 and get 63 mpg consistantly with my 2020 NC750XDCT. Rarely does it change and never does it wildly change.
That's about 26 odd km/l which is also normal.

Not like the insane 56+km/l mine is showing at various speeds low or high which is really inaccurate. Just not possible.
So it doesn't look like anyone has had this problem before. I've been searching for quite a while now. I'll have to go to a dealer and let them run diagnostics to find where the fault is

It's silly to try and determine fuel mileage going by the gas gauge. The only accurate way is to use the odometer reading vs how much fuel is added when you fill-up and even that has some variance because of the difficulty of filling the NC tank.

On my 2015 NC750X I prefer to set the display in L/100 km instead of km/L. I find it easier to evaluate consumption. Usually, my average consumption is 3,3 L/100 km. Instant mode gives me figures from as low as 2,3 when coasting to 6 when I wring gas handle.

Instant fuel mileage indications on every car or motorcycle I've had are not reliable indicators of average fuel consumption. They simply vary too much over a very wide range based on engine load, speed, and throttle opening. It doesn't mean the number displayed at a particular moment is incorrect it's just that fuel consumption DOES vary widely. On both my NCs the average fuel consumption displayed was fairly constant at about 2 mpg less than the real amount calculated by fuel burn over known distance. If it showed 62 mpg it was really about 64. I track my vehicles for at least 10 or 15,000 miles on Fuelly and use the average consumption known over time as a benchmark against how I'm riding out the current tank of fuel.

It's silly to try and determine fuel mileage going by the gas gauge. The only accurate way is to use the odometer reading vs how much fuel is added when you fill-up and even that has some variance because of the difficulty of filling the NC tank.
I did not say I'm trying to determine fuel mileage going on current or averages. Or fuel consumption at all. Only that it suddenly does not work like it normally has been. The point of the post was for me to see if anyone had experienced this or had a solution. Other than going to a dealer.
I don't know how to stress it otherwise. I'm not looking for a debate or to start a fuel efficiency thread. There's no point. The majority bought the bike for the reason that all maintenance is extremely easy to do by yourself. And that it has a very economic setup. It is cheap to run and maintain.

Ok. I frequently experience my gas guage dropping to the final bar & blinking red, then a few blocks later it goes away and back to a bars. And it's not related to rounding a curve or going up/down a hill so I have no answer....but just live with it.

Much more than the gas gauge, I use the trip meter reading to determine when I should stop for fuel.

Ok. I frequently experience my gas guage dropping to the final bar & blinking red, then a few blocks later it goes away and back to a bars. And it's not related to rounding a curve or going up/down a hill so I have no answer....but just live with it.

Much more than the gas gauge, I use the trip meter reading to determine when I should stop for fuel.
The last bar blinking and disappearing is normal.
Once again I don't have a problem gauging the amount of fuel left.
Admin please lock this thread

Thread closed per originator’s request.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back