• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Fuel gauge/sender issue

Why did you get rid of this bike?

In the spirit of the thread, I won't hijack it with a foaming rant lol. Let's just say the demented non-functioning $$$ complicated computer and fuel gauge of my $$$ BMW, makes any slight issues with the NC700X's utterly pale in comparison, and that was the tiniest tip of the Titanic smashing iceberg of problems that encompassed my F800ST.

Oh, and for the record per the topic, I don't have any issues or problems with my NCX fuel gauge, thank heavens...

Last edited:
Hi Everyone!

I've observed my fuel gauge misbehaved yesterday.
I've been driving around quite a lot the last two days so naturally, the full tank dropped down to 2 bars on the fuel gauge. It looked to me like I should be easily able to do 60 miles +. Then, just few miles before home, the two bars disappeared and the "E" bar started blinking. After a moment, two bars showed up again. I drove the remainder of the way home, and while parking the bike, the same happened again - "E" bar started blinking, then two bars returned again.

Today morning, the same issue occurred so I drove to the gas station to fill Hania up - she drank 10,5L (vs. 14L gas tank size).
This has me a little worried, so I've taken a look at the user manual and it mentiones that at around 3,3L left in the tank, the "E" bar will start blinking. Okay, 3,5L is close enough, I guess.

My question is: does this happen to you as well, or does the bar level gradually decrease? It surprised me that it went down straight from two bars to spare amount in just a blink of an eye.
If that's normal, I guess I'm fine ;) Just though I'll ask around if it works the same way for you.

The last bar prior to blinking does drop quickly.

Watch your mileage, don't rely on the gauge.

None of my other bikes even have a fuel gauge.

My question is: does this happen to you as well, or does the bar level gradually decrease? It surprised me that it went down straight from two bars to spare amount in just a blink of an eye.

It is normal for the gauge to go to one bar after showing two bars. Whenever one bar is showing, it is flashing. There is no gauge state where it shows one solid bar.

It is normal for the gauge to go to one bar after showing two bars. Whenever one bar is showing, it is flashing. There is no gauge state where is shows one solid bar.

I concur with above.

It's also important to remember that when the last bar starts flashing (which is the instant you only have 1 bar left, as 670 pointed out), you still have 1 gallon of fuel left. It's kind of silly that your "get gas now!" light would come on when you have almost 1/3rd of a tank left, but it's true. When the light starts flashing, if you go fill up your tank you will see that it takes about 2.7 gallons --- out of your 3.7 gallon tank.

For me, when it flashes, I go 50 more miles and then I get fuel. Why 50? I've never gotten below 50MPG no matter the conditions or how I rode, so I know I can make it.

Thank you for all your responses!
I just wanted to make sure there is nothing wrong with my NC and it just seems that's the way she rolls - fine with me. Seems it's this type's thing so now that I know it, I'm not worried and know what to expect.
Thanks!

I concur with above.

It's also important to remember that when the last bar starts flashing (which is the instant you only have 1 bar left, as 670 pointed out), you still have 1 gallon of fuel left. It's kind of silly that your "get gas now!" light would come on when you have almost 1/3rd of a tank left, but it's true. When the light starts flashing, if you go fill up your tank you will see that it takes about 2.7 gallons --- out of your 3.7 gallon tank.

For me, when it flashes, I go 50 more miles and then I get fuel. Why 50? I've never gotten below 50MPG no matter the conditions or how I rode, so I know I can make it.

I've been struggling to remember to reset the trip-ometer on my last few fill ups...
As a results I've been filling up as soon as the last bar starts flashing... not wanting to risk running out.
As such my totals at the gas stations have been surprisingly low (like $6-7) assisted by the recently low gas prices.
My wife on reviewing the credit card statement was concerned that some one was making a lot of purchases at gas stations for weird amounts.

Took me a while to figure out what those charges were for... And even now I can't believe that I rolled out of a gas station for $4.87 for any vehicle, other than maybe the lawn mower...

I must have a fuel sensor problem too. I go from 2 black bars to one flashing red bar. Yikes! Will have to experiment and track klicks to stop that panicky feeling.
What you described is the way it was designed to work. There is no valid fuel gauge state showing one solid bar.

I must have a fuel sensor problem too. I go from 2 black bars to one flashing red bar. Yikes! Will have to experiment and track klicks to stop that panicky feeling.
The bike goes from 2 bars to one that flashes. Normal operation. I hit the last flashing bar around 300 ish km.

I would expect to go from 2 black bars to one black bar and then to flashing red bar. Not from 2 black bars to flashing red. Not logical.
Hi, if you think of that last flashing bar as emergency fuel then it makes sense. Could have it been displayed a different way? - sure, but it works.

I would expect to go from 2 black bars to one black bar and then to flashing red bar. Not from 2 black bars to flashing red. Not logical.
I agree. However if I was to glance at the dash for 1/4 second, and saw one black bar, I could not know for certain if I had one solid bar or one flashing bar. At the one bar stage, I may need to take my eyes off the road and look at the gauge for a little longer to determine if the one bar is flashing or solid.

The 2012 NC gauge has pathetically low resolution, having only 5 tank level increments to display. In time I got used to comparing gauge transition points and trip odometer readings, I can know with fair accuracy how much fuel I have. My Honda CRF has 7 bars on the fuel gauge, which is an improvement. I’d prefer my NC have 8 or 9 bars instead of 5.

I’ve only done a few hundred miles on the new to me 2013 but old familiarity with functionality came back pretty quickly. Depending on the pace the first two bars correlate to between 40 and 50 miles per bar. If I get more than 50 per bar I’m approaching 70 mpg, 40 miles per bar is approximately high 50s low 60s mpg.

Familiarity with the NC helps you know how much fuel remains, and overcome the shortcoming of the oversimplified fuel gauge. Having owned more than one 2012 NC700X, they don't seem to all behave exactly the same way. For my (now only) NC, when the first bar drops off after a full tank, I have used right about one gallon, so the miles covered at that point indicates my MPG. Subsequent bars drop off at about 0.6 gallon intervals. When the flashing single bar is all that remains, I figure I have 50 miles of conservative riding left before the machine will no longer go.

Back