• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Fuel cutoff relay: what is it?

Markino

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all!
I've rad about removing the fuel cutoff relay in order to check the compression of the cylinders... what exactly is that relay?

Markino, the fuel cutoff relay is basically used to gate power (12 VDC) to the fuel pump when the ignition switch is turned on. In the NC700, this relay also provides the 12 VDC to the two cylinder injectors. The firing of the injectors is controlled by the computer which provides a "ground" pulse to the respective injectors, to provide gas to each cylinder (operates similar to a vehicle). The relay is located in the fuse box which is on the left side of the battery. On the NC700X it is the right relay, and can be removed by grabbing it with 2 fingers and pulling it straight out. I would ensure the key is turned OFF before removing or inserting.

I was thinking that fuel cutoff is somethink that just cutoff the fuel while you close the gas, for instance, in order to reduce the compsumation of fuel.
I know that in a car is present that "mechanism"...

Dead thread resurrection alert - but ...anyone thought about wiring a hidden switch on the fuel relay, one that you can toggle when you leave your bike somewhere you're not really happy to leave it at? Correct me if I'm wrong but if some nefarious person tried to steal the bike in that state, the engine would crank but never start without fuel reaching the engine.

...would that cause any damage to the bike do you think?

Dead thread resurrection alert - but ...anyone thought about wiring a hidden switch on the fuel relay, one that you can toggle when you leave your bike somewhere you're not really happy to leave it at? Correct me if I'm wrong but if some nefarious person tried to steal the bike in that state, the engine would crank but never start without fuel reaching the engine.

...would that cause any damage to the bike do you think?

A fuel pump cutoff would not cause any damage beyond eventually running down the battery during the start attempt.

I wonder how many bike thefts actually involve starting the engine. I understand one person can easily steal a bike. They would pull a flat bed trailer alongside the parked bike. Push the bike over on its side onto trailer. Drive away. Fuel pump switches, steering locks, disk locks, etc. won’t make any difference in that case.

I wonder how many bike thefts actually involve starting the engine. I understand one person can easily steal a bike. They would pull a flat bed trailer alongside the parked bike. Push the bike over on its side onto trailer. Drive away. Fuel pump switches, steering locks, disk locks, etc. won’t make any difference in that case.
My bike has Honda's engine immobiliser in any event, part of the ignition key: so perhaps as you say, not really something I'd need to worry about and not likely how the bike would be pinched anyway. I suspect a heavy chain and a police car to bolt it to would be the best theft deterrent...

Back