• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Fuel cap not sealing properly

2wheeledJim

Reaction score
Visit site
For some reason the last time I filled up my NC I couldn't get the fuel cap to screw back on like it used to. Was making a squeaky sound when I turned it and it doesn't quite sit right. Now if I yank it up I can get a gap. I swear before after it was screwed closed it was a much better seal. Has anyone else had any experience of this? Not sure if it could be damage to the cap or the tank opening. Cheers all

All looks normal to me.
You could go to a dealer or if you know of anyone who also has an NC700/750/ etc and just try their gas cap for fit.
You're welcome to try mine if you come to Canada LOL.

Okay thanks for letting me know. It's really odd how it just started squeaking whenever I screw it on and now if I pull the cap upwards I can create a gap, pretty sure before it was sealed well enough to prevent this.

I don't think you have an issue.
I tried pulling up on my cap when the cap is fully closed tightly.
My cap will rise up about 3mm but it takes a fair amount of force with thumb and forefinger to lift it.
I conclude that is supposed to happen.
The spring in the cap is designed to vent the tank automatically if pressure becomes dangerous.
The squeaking you heard is likely the gasket seal being dry.
I bet if you wet the seal with some gasoline your squeal will disappear.
If the seal is still squeaking then put a very light coating of silicone grease on the seal.
Wipe any excess off with your finger and Bob should be your uncle.

I don't think you have an issue.
I tried pulling up on my cap when the cap is fully closed tightly.
My cap will rise up about 3mm but it takes a fair amount of force with thumb and forefinger to lift it.
I conclude that is supposed to happen.
The spring in the cap is designed to vent the tank automatically if pressure becomes dangerous.
The squeaking you heard is likely the gasket seal being dry.
I bet if you wet the seal with some gasoline your squeal will disappear.
If the seal is still squeaking then put a very light coating of silicone grease on the seal.
Wipe any excess off with your finger and Bob should be your uncle.
This makes a lot of sense. Thank you for taking the time! My mind will be at ease when the next mpg figure comes in next time I top up:)

Back