• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Frunk Won't Latch

Foxtrot144

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a 2013 NC700x used Friday and the trunk will only latch if I slam it shut, and even then it is just tenuously latched. My 2012 used to latch firmly with gentle pressure, and so I'm suspecting that it was slammed or smashed one too many times and now is out of alignment.

Do I need to buy a new Frunk lid or if I remove it can I bend it back into place?

I really like keeping my helmet in the trunk as it allows me to only carry luggage if it looks like rain or when I'm going out of town.

Wanted to check with you all before I bought a replacement part unnecessarily.

I think I would need to replace this part -> Honda LID A *R201* (MAGNA RED) Part # 64101-MGS-D30ZA

Thanks for any help!

The frunk lid consists of a plastic outer shell and a plastic inner shell screwed together. I’d find it unlikely those plastic main pieces would have warped. Instead, on the lid I would focus on the condition of the hinge and it’s attachment fasteners, and on the latch hook metal piece at the front. Also inspect the weatherstrip, in case it came out of place and is hampering the lid closure.

It seems more like the latch mechanism near the key hole could be at fault than the lid or it’s components. Perhaps someone changed the air filter and didn’t reinstall that front cover correctly.

I would inspect and/or disassemble it and diagnose the problem before ordering any parts. It may be that the repair won’t require new parts.

Last edited:
I'll inspect the area more closely and see if I can see anything like that going on.

Thanks for your insight.

Took a few T-Handle hex keys and a screwdriver out last night to see if I couldn't figure it out. The hook on the lid seemed to be in the right position, so first I tried undoing the four hex screws around the latch and scooting it a little forward and a little bit backwards. Neither position seemed to work any differently.

4screws.jpg

Then I loosened the two screws on the lid and tried tilting the hook up a little and down a little bit without any difference.

latch_2sides.jpg

Then I took my smallest hex key and tried to trigger the latch manually, and I couldn't get it to latch. I suspect the latch has failed or is damaged. :(

latch_top.jpg

My plan is to take it out and spray it down with wd40 and see if it's got any gunk binding it up. Then once it's ungunked try it against the hook on the lid. If the latch works there then I'll reinstall it and try again. If it doesn't work I'll order a replacement.

Back