• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Frunk/heated grips question on the 2021

the Ferret

Reaction score
Visit site
Getting ready to install Oxford heated grips on my 2021 with help from my buddy with a 2019. He installed them on his, but the battery was toward the front of the bike. With the 2021 redesign, the battery is on the rear side of the frunk.

Does the frunk "bucket" come out in one piece?

Does anyone know how much of the bodywork must be removed in order to install heated grips on the 2021?

I just used a coat hanger to fish the controller cable from the battery to the front of the bike on my 2022. Figure some day I'll have to take the side panel off and will "neaten" up the wires. For now, that approach took only a couple of minutes. That's a lot less then taking the panels off or trying to take the frunk out. Also, the videos I saw about taking the grips off were different than my mine. Nothing to grind down. Just slip the old off and the new on. I used hairspray instead of glue and they have stayed firmly in place for 8 months now.

I have a DCT so had to mount the controller on the right side in front of the brake resevoir. Not sure I will leave it there. I found a cheap mount that fits right between the handlebars that looks like would let me move it there (pictures below). Have not done so yet as that means I need to move the cable and right now it is securely in place going to where the controller is now. Maybe a winter project.

I do love the Oxford grips though. It's been chilly here and I still usually ride on level 3. With the OEM heated grips on my Africa Twin and Goldwing I had to have it all the way up and the non-throttle side always was hotter than the other. With the Oxford I have not noticed that issue.

1666898587785.png

1666898987603.png

This is the mount I found on eBay for $15. If I had seen this first I would have gone with it. It does fit on the handlebars. I did have to add a washer to one of the screws so it would not poke thru. But looks like the Oxford controller would fit on it. If not, just have to bend the mount that comes with the grips. It just blocks the brake resevoir making it hard to check. I never do that often so not that big a deal. https://www.ebay.com/itm/384813899560

I had the controller on the right on my ST 1300. Actually prefer it there. It allows you too adjust heat while riding.

I had the controller on the right on my ST 1300. Actually prefer it there. It allows you too adjust heat while riding.
You’d have to come to a stop to adjust the heat if the controller was on the left?

I have the grip heat control on the left on my NC and CRF, on the right on the Goldwing. All manual transmissions. Doesn’t seem to matter which side the control is on, but I prefer the left.

I have the Oxford controller mounted on the right and don't find it a problem. The grips were dealer installed when I took the bike in to have the ECU flash upgrade in January. I don't thik I'll ever own a bike without heated grips again. I used a weed eater string to fish a wire from front to back when I installed my Garimn GPS.

On YouTube there is a video by KSS studios on installing a USB-C port in the frunk. In the video he shows how to remove the body panels on the left side of the bike. Installing USB-C port

Back