• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Front tire wearing out before the rear?

Olythom

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
5200 miles on the original Dunlops. Both tires are showing a worn strip just to the left of center. I guess that's the whole "crown of the road" thing, huh?

The strange thing - to me at least - is that the front is already into the wear bars and the rear still has quite a ways to go before the bars..... I would have guessed that the rear would go first.?.?

Time to install the Roadsmarts and see what happens.
>T

Yes, the rear almost always goes first (unless you run it underinflated or are a heavy front brake use like I am).

Thanks Beemer. I considered that but figured I was crazy... I am heavy on the front brake. I suppose that's what did it.

Since I first noticed this wear, I have actually started using more balanced braking and try to avoid riding on the steepest part of the crown. Maybe the next set will last longer.
>T

Thanks Beemer. I considered that but figured I was crazy... I am heavy on the front brake. I suppose that's what did it.

Since I first noticed this wear, I have actually started using more balanced braking and try to avoid riding on the steepest part of the crown. Maybe the next set will last longer.
>T

Normal road crown is 1-2% in both directions from the centerline, so it is the same all across the lane. Sometimes drainage requires that the road has a cross slope of about the same amount instead of a center crown. Either way, the slope is the same across the entire travel lane. As far as balanced braking, I don't use the rears much other than as hill-holders, but I do use engine braking as much as possible. Most of the things that make tires (and gasoline) last longer make riding less fun. So it is a balance. I generally drive it like I stole it accepting whatever tire and gas mileage that presents.

Back