• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Front forks serviced today ...should I expect seepage?

Paulplex

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all; just had my front forks serviced - the dust seal rubber was corroded and I don't think the forks had been serviced before I'd bought the bike three years ago. New oil, seals and yay! ...but having brought it back from the garage, I'm wondering if seepage is normal after they've been done - or if I should go back to the garage and frown at someone?

I'd made sure the forks and seals were clean and dry before I left - home a couple of miles later and the right fork has a small drop of oil on top of the dust seal. You can also see from the fork stanchions a "tide line" where oil from the fork has left an indication of how far the fork travels (quite far, I'd never considered!)

So ...worry, or expected?

1623850376209.png 1623850406823.png 1623850819679.png

Those aren’t the Honda parts, unless Honda has significantly changed the design. Those look like some aftermarket seals I have on my bike, which I put on because they’re allegedly lower-stiction than the Honda oil seal plus dust seal.

Those that I have don’t weep or leak drops of oil like I see on yours.

What you’re seeing may just be the oil that one normally slathers all over the seals and tubes for assembly, now working its way into a low spot. If I were you, I’d wipe up the oil, and watch it for the coming days to week or so. If it continues, something’s wrong. What’s wrong could be any combo of:
Improperly installed seals
Damaged or defective seals
Scored fork tubes that those seals can’t seal properly

and maybe other stuff.

Those aren’t the Honda parts, unless Honda has significantly changed the design. Those look like some aftermarket seals I have on my bike, which I put on because they’re allegedly lower-stiction than the Honda oil seal plus dust seal.

Those that I have don’t weep or leak drops of oil like I see on yours.

What you’re seeing may just be the oil that one normally slathers all over the seals and tubes for assembly, now working its way into a low spot. If I were you, I’d wipe up the oil, and watch it for the coming days to week or so. If it continues, something’s wrong. What’s wrong could be any combo of:
Improperly installed seals
Damaged or defective seals
Scored fork tubes that those seals can’t seal properly

and maybe other stuff.
Thanks for the reply; it's a third party chap who services and repairs all manner of bikes, so although I concur that these aren't the Honda dust seals, I'm not concerned that the garage I went to would fit something unsuitable.

I suppose I'm unaware of the anatomy of a fork: if there is a cavity within between the dust seal and fork seal that might be where the excess is that is now leaking out.

I'll take your suggestion and keep an eye - if it's still seeping in a week or so, I'll flag this with them.

I would pull up the dust seal and clean any oil from the area beneath it. Reassemble it and ride a few days. Recheck under the dust seal for oil accumulation. If you find freshly leaked oil, the main fork seal was possibly damaged at installation. There should be no oil seepage at all.

I suppose I'm unaware of the anatomy of a fork: if there is a cavity within between the dust seal and fork seal that might be where the excess is that is now leaking out.

I'll take your suggestion and keep an eye - if it's still seeping in a week or so, I'll flag this with them.

Honda uses an oil seal and a separate dust seal. The dust seal is what you see when you look at the rubber at the top of the fork lower. You can’t see the oil seal unless you remove the dust seal. The aftermarket seals I have, which are about identical in appearance to yours, do not have a separate dust seal.

See that ‘spring’ on your seals? That is generally a component of an oil seal. It’s really not necessary (or appropriate?) for a simple dust seal.

I DO NOT KNOW WHETHER THAT’S THE CASE WITH YOUR SEALS. I only mention it because there may not be anything to ‘lift up’ in order to look at the oil seal.

You might call the shop and ask, so that you don’t mistakenly pull the oil seal out of place in an effort to check underneath it.

Hi all! A follow up, and thank you all for your comments: I went back to the garage this morning and asked about the forks.

On that, admittedly short, ride I noted less oil on the stanchions from the compression of the forks which was reassuring. He confirmed that the the oil was partly lubricant from the deed done and would be expected to diminish over time. The dust seals aren't Honda OEM of course, but ones he personally prefers (that's fine, I'll defer to him on that) - but he pried them loose and we checked the oil seals, with all being well.

I'll follow up on @Makingitwork6999 PM to me about the corrosion on the forks - there's some rust spots further up the stanchions - but the fork seals themselves are, fortunately, fine.

So ...happy dance: recently swapped out the rear shock with a Wilbers Ecoline 540 after the Honda OEM one gave up the ghost - and I've serviced and refreshed front suspension too. Now ...if the rain could hold off, I'd like to go off and enjoy the road...

Back