• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

From 1800 to 700cc's and don't miss any of them

Lebowski

Reaction score
Visit site
Lou Reed in his song New Sensations sums up my feelings for my 700x when he says he took his gpz for a ride through the mountains and he loves his moto so much he could kiss her. I sold my vtx1800 last season and replaced it with my 700 and I feel like an 8th grader who stole the school principal's motorcycle every ride I go on. Zigging around corners, getting squirrely on dirt roads, getting to enjoy the whole engine spectrum, the rumble and sound of 4th gear at 4k rpm, and I haven't even got to spin up through the White mountains of NH on it yet. I am that guy who you just saw parked at a rest area whispering to his bike and giggling. Have a good day on yours, and keep it between the mustard and mayo.

I think it is hard to describe how easy and pleasant the NC700x/750x bikes are to ride. But you summed it up pretty well.

I agree. I have had many bikes over the years. starting with my first motorcycle, a 305 Super Hawk in 1965. Since that time I have had enduro's, dirt bikes, a CB750, Shadow's and a Goldwing. I loved the acceleration and comfort of the Goldwing but at low speeds and at rest it was heavy and a lot more work for these old knees. My wife also rides and she/we have had scooters including a Elite, Reflex, Majesty and Silverwing. I enjoyed riding the scooters too. This comes close to the ease of riding those scooters. This bike just brings out the grin in me.

I agree. I have had many bikes over the years. starting with my first motorcycle, a 305 Super Hawk in 1965. Since that time I have had enduro's, dirt bikes, a CB750, Shadow's and a Goldwing. I loved the acceleration and comfort of the Goldwing but at low speeds and at rest it was heavy and a lot more work for these old knees. My wife also rides and she/we have had scooters including a Elite, Reflex, Majesty and Silverwing. I enjoyed riding the scooters too. This comes close to the ease of riding those scooters. This bike just brings out the grin in me.
I came down the same path as you.
I just went from a Goldwing F6B to an NC, and for the same reasons I sold my F6B this winter.
The only downside with the NC, and I knew it was coming, is for the pillion.
My wife does not like riding pillion on the NC one little bit, and I can't say I blame her.
Going from a Goldwing to the NC for her was like going from this:

810L+Reclining+Adjustable+Width+Heated+Full+Body+Massage+Chair.jpg

to this:

tumblr_530550b640f65783ce06096c89324507_2b3a7779_1280.png

I still have my '18 Goldwing DCT. My '20 NC750 DCT does much better on the local back roads. The NC DCT has proven itself to be a truly fun bike to ride. I would never buy a Honda with a manual transmission.

That said, it is great fun to run through the gears on my Harley once in awhile.

I still have my '18 Goldwing DCT. My '20 NC750 DCT does much better on the local back roads. The NC DCT has proven itself to be a truly fun bike to ride. I would never buy a Honda with a manual transmission.

That said, it is great fun to run through the gears on my Harley once in awhile.
I am on bike 19 over 50 years of riding. Have had the bike, 2020 NC750X DCT, 165 miles. Very happy with it. Will have the seat redone by Russell Day Long Seats in July. They had a 3 month back log when I put my name on the list. Have had one other seat done by them & was very happy with it.

I've had my NC almost 9 years and it's a great bike. I'm committed to keeping it a long time. I even have a spare engine sitting in a box for it, should I ever need parts.

I also have a GL1800. Some posts have mentioned a preference for the NC over the 1800, for understandable reasons. I consider them different classes of bikes, as they do some tasks well, some tasks not so well.

I'm going against the grain here. There is no reason for me to give up either bike, but if I was forced to decide between the two, I'd keep the GL1800. The 1800 is smoother, more powerful, has better weather protection, much better passenger accommodations, intregrated luggage, more electrical power and lighting, and requires less maintenance. I am at 83,000 miles on my GL and the valves have yet to require adjustment. You can take an 8000 mile trip on a GL and do almost no maintenance (maybe check the tire pressures a few times). Not so with the NC (the chain, oh the chain). The only negatives with GL is the weight when it comes to low speed maneuvering, and the heat. I can't really ride mine much above 80F due to engine heat and too much still air.

All that said, the NC is still a great motorcycle.

I've got to disagree about the maintenance.
A chain is no big deal to spray with some kerosene, wipe down, and drip some gear oil back on.
How often? Not very, unless riding through wet conditions.
The'Wing on the other hand is way more labour intensive to do regular maintenance.
The air filter of course is ridiculous, and if you want to check valve clearances on a 'Wing, not that big of a deal, but if valve clearance adjustment is needed, much bigger deal.
Give me the locknut and screw adjustment of the NC any day.
And not having to deal with knock sensors, ignition coils and plug wires buried behind parts, brake fluid flushing needs 6 nipples and a special sequence to bleed, to change clutch fluid the damn evap canister has to be removed, the list goes on and on.
The NC to me is much less labour intensive.

Last edited:
Totally agree. I came from a Vstar to the NC750. The Honda is just so fun and comfortable to ride. I never want to get home. She just wants to keep going!

A chain is no big deal to spray with some kerosene, wipe down, and drip some gear oil back on.
The'Wing on the other hand is way more labour intensive to do regular maintenance.
The air filter of course is ridiculous, and if you want to check valve clearances on a 'Wing, not that big of a deal, but if valve clearance adjustment is needed, much bigger deal.
And not having to deal with knock sensors, ignition coils and plug wires buried behind parts, brake fluid flushing needs 6 nipples and a special sequence to bleed, to change clutch fluid the damn evap canister has to be removed, the list goes on and on.
Yep. I'd expect people to have different opinions on the bikes. That's why they build different bikes.

One other huge factor in 'Wing vs NC is the wife and I get to do lots of riding together on the 'Wing. She wouldn't be at all comfortable as a passenger on the NC and I would never even suggest it. Heck, I would refuse to ride as passenger on an NC.

Carrying a pillion isn't ideal, but other than the space issue it's not terribly different than solo touring.

My wife and I are quite envious of Wingers when we're doing our big trips though. I'm beyond envious when I'm at a random gas station lubing my chain because of the cheap Honda accounting department.

I have a 2015 NC and a 2018 Goldwing. My wife will pillion on the NC but much prefers the Wing. I like having the NC as a change of pace. I ride It on a lot of backroads, about 16k on each bike now.

How the Goldwing vs the NC are used has a lot to do with the perception of maintenance hassle on the two bikes. Say you want take an 8000 mile round trip, perhaps to Alaska from midwest USA. The preparations are as follows:

Both - make sure all fluid changes are up to date and that tires, engine oil, and brake pads are new enough to make the trip.

NC - Make sure the drive chain has sufficient remaining life to make the whole trip. Pack chain lube, rags, gloves, cleaner, tools to loosen the axle and perform chain adjustments, tool to align rear wheel/sprocket if necessary, torque wrench to torque axle nut.

Goldwing - No additional items needed as there is no need for final drive maintenance.

I would choose to take the Goldwing on the 8000 mile trip.

With a automatic chain oiler I do not need to touch the chain during an 8000 mile ride. I just add a few ounces of oil to the oiler as needed.
Having ridden to Alaska and owning a DCT Wing and NC750, I would pick the NC next time.

With a automatic chain oiler I do not need to touch the chain during an 8000 mile ride. I just add a few ounces of oil to the oiler as needed.
Having ridden to Alaska and owning a DCT Wing and NC750, I would pick the NC next time.
It’s good that the automatic oiler works well for you. On the other hand, it’s too bad the OEMs can’t provide a system on a stock chain drive motorcycle to reduce the amount of attention a chain normally requires.

I’m curious. How many miles can the NC with chain oiler go before the chain does need adjustment?

I put 110,000 miles on my shaft drive ST 1300 and 38,500 miles on my shaft drive FJR before I traded it in on the NC. Neither required more than 8 ounces of 80/90 wt oil twice a year in the rear end, which took 10 minutes at most. Total cost of maintenance was maybe $50 bucks in 150,000 miles between them.

I have 60,000 miles on my chain drive CB 1100 and besides the labor of cleaning, adjusting and lubing, I'm about to put on my 2nd set of chain and sprockets and rubber wheel dampers at about $400 a crack,( parts and labor)...or about $800 of repairs in 1/3 the mileage. I won't even count the cans of chain lube I have used at lets say $12 a can.

IMO a shaft would be much preferred (as would hydraulic valves), but that's not how Honda made it, so .....................

It’s good that the automatic oiler works well for you. On the other hand, it’s too bad the OEMs can’t provide a system on a stock chain drive motorcycle to reduce the amount of attention a chain normally requires.

I’m curious. How many miles can the NC with chain oiler go before the chain does need adjustment?
I don't really know because my tires wear out faster than the chain needs adjustment.

So would your rear tire last 8000 miles on a trip?
Nope. Maybe 6000. I would expect needing an adjustment with the stock or other typical chain. Some premium chains would probably make it to 8000. In any case, I would have the tools needed to remove a wheel whether chain drive or not.

Back