• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Found the Bike....

So today, I mounted a new Zumo 396 on the Madstad bracket base and hard wired it to the bike. I like that location better than the handlebars because it is in my line of sight and it doesn't swivel when I turn the bars. This new Zumo is a nice little unit with maps of all of North America and lifetime updates via WIFI or your PC. 4.3 inch touch screen, weatherproof, Bluetooth, phone calls, MP3 player, trip advisor, etc. On sale right now at GPSCity.com for $229 and free shipping. Bargain!

Ya know, I should really clean my garage......
IMG_3106.JPG

So today, I mounted a new Zumo 396 on the Madstad bracket base and hard wired it to the bike. I like that location better than the handlebars because it is in my line of sight and it doesn't swivel when I turn the bars. This new Zumo is a nice little unit with maps of all of North America and lifetime updates via WIFI or your PC. 4.3 inch touch screen, weatherproof, Bluetooth, phone calls, MP3 player, trip advisor, etc. On sale right now at GPSCity.com for $229 and free shipping. Bargain!

View attachment 43809
We probably all should clean our garages! Though I've been good since I moved in the new house. By the way, I had a true 100% solids epoxy floor put down. Literally the best money I've ever spent. Not the home depot stuff...been down that road before.

Yeah, of course my plans are contingent on the border opening. I have made the trip before so not the end of the world if I don’t get to go this summer. I would like to go up to the D2D rally on the solstice in Dawson if possible. We will see......
Since the Canadians cant drive across the border, some are finding other ways...they are placing their vehicles on a car hauler (something like the flatbed tow trucks), having the vehicle hauled across the border, then they are flying across the border and then picking up their vehicle from the hauler, more $$$ but it works....according to both governments,,,this is legal...what the heck, they cant drive across but they can fly across....

View attachment 43809
I find your Garmin Zumo 396 to be interesting. I will need to find out how it works and how well it works as I might be interested in buying one. For me to buy one, however, it needs to be a complete redesign from the Zumo 390. I have been a Garmin GPS fan since the days of monochrome, handheld, single channel multiplexed receiver, mapless GPS units long ago, and I have owned many Garmin models. I bought a Zumo 390 a few years ago and it is absolutely the worst Garmin I’ve ever owned; I just want to throw it in the trash. The processor is sluggish, the map detail is severely lacking, and the software and user interface are horrible. I don’t know what went wrong over at Garmin, if they hired new engineers, or what.

Let us know how you like the Zumo 396. I will find your feedback to be valuable.

I find your Garmin Zumo 396 to be interesting. I will need to find out how it works and how well it works as I might be interested in buying one. For me to buy one, however, it needs to be a complete redesign from the Zumo 390. I have been a Garmin GPS fan since the days of monochrome, handheld, single channel multiplexed receiver, mapless GPS units long ago, and I have owned many Garmin models. I bought a Zumo 390 a few years ago and it is absolutely the worst Garmin I’ve ever owned; I just want to throw it in the trash. The processor is sluggish, the map detail is severely lacking, and the software and user interface are horrible. I don’t know what went wrong over at Garmin, if they hired new engineers, or what.

Let us know how you like the Zumo 396. I will find your feedback to be valuable.
I just got back from about a 200 mile ride to try things out....including the GPS. The 396 seems to work fine for basic navigation which is all I did today. The touchscreen works fine, map seems responsive and fairly bright, processor seems quick. Input was simple even with gloves on.... got me to my destination.

I did not pair with a phone or headset or load any MP3 music files so when I do I will report back. Also did not try to import a route yet....but my first impression is it is a pretty good basic waterproof GPS and almost all of the reviews I looked at before buying were positive.

The last “bike mounted” gps I had was a Garmin 2820 and this one is light years ahead of that one......but I realize that one is an antique. Both of my cars and Goldwing have built in Nav so that is what I have been using the last few years.

If you google 396 reviews you will likely get better info than I can provide....but.....for $229 with two day free shipping and no sales tax, it seems to be a bargain for my needs. Don’t know how long that pricing will last. Likely a Xmas special of some kind.

More later.

Last edited:
I've had a 396 LMT for 2 years now.
It was not expensive as Zumo's go, is bulletproof, and is very responsive and always reliable.
OK, and this is a serious question, what is the advantage to using a dedicated GPS (of any type/brand) over simply using a smartphone?

OK, and this is a serious question, what is the advantage to using a dedicated GPS (of any type/brand) over simply using a smartphone?
Realistically.....probably none,..... depending on your level of tech savvy. For me, just personal preference. I am used to building routes in Trip Planner and Kerviger and importing them into a dedicated GPS. This little zumo is waterproof and has all the North America maps built in and doesn’t require cell service to operate. For me,......just easier and it can be hard wired and live on the bike.

I know my Phone can be made to do all those things with a cover and downloading maps to use in areas of no cell coverage but as I said before.....it really comes down to personal preference.

The reason I do it is because, unlike my phone, the dedicated GPS models I use on my motorcycles have an IPX7 water rating. When it starts raining, I don’t need to worry about water damage to the GPS. Also, the motorcycle GPS touch screens work better for me than an iPhone screen when I am wearing gloves.

OK

I admit my iPhone is not waterproof but I have a cover for it that makes it seriously water resistant (downpour).

Using SCENIC's app, it works without a connection so it can be used offline (the way I normally use it)

I can't compare 'glove' use, mine works with my summer gloves. But honestly with the CARDO headset and the ability to use SIRI it is pretty rare to need to actually touch anything.

So I guess personal preference is the main reason.

OK

I admit my iPhone is not waterproof but I have a cover for it that makes it seriously water resistant (downpour).

Using SCENIC's app, it works without a connection so it can be used offline (the way I normally use it)

I can't compare 'glove' use, mine works with my summer gloves. But honestly with the CARDO headset and the ability to use SIRI it is pretty rare to need to actually touch anything.

A person with hearing loss and/or tightly seated earplugs may not be able to interface verbally with any electronics. GPS interface for me is always visually and with touch.

My iPhone is a $1200 device that is not as vibration, drop, or water resistant as a Zumo.
My $300 Zumo is vibration, drop, and water resistant.
And also, when I'm riding, my Zumo doesn't distract and bother me like my phone does.
I hate being texted and phoned while I'm riding.

OK

I really don’t think there is anything your IPhone and google maps can’t do that a garmin or Tom Tom can. I have given serious thought to just going the smart phone route myself but just never have....at least yet. One thing I have heard other riders say is that the constant vibration, bumps, etc. is bad for a phone but I am guessing a rubber mounted, mount that also charges without a usb might solve that.

Life is full of choices.....

...One thing I have heard other riders say is that the constant vibration, bumps, etc. is bad for a phone but I am guessing a rubber mounted, mount that also charges without a usb might solve that....
I have about 9,000 miles of iPhone experience mounted to a Ram Mount ball, via a QuadLock with my iPhone 8 and zero issues. Perhaps some other models have issues? I understand that there is a QuadLock with an anti-vibration mount, but it is not something I own. Mine is just the standard QuadLock, attached to a standard Ram Mount ball.

My iPhone is a $1200 device that is not as vibration, drop, or water resistant as a Zumo.
My $300 Zumo is vibration, drop, and water resistant.
And also, when I'm riding, my Zumo doesn't distract and bother me like my phone does.
I hate being texted and phoned while I'm riding.
FWIW there are ways to turn off the texts, etc while riding/driving. Its part of the iPhone's standard functionality, choose to use it, or not.

As for the water resistance, true. It is not. A simple case solves that. As for vibration, see above.

I'm not looking to start an argument or to derail the discussion. Just wanted to know if there were actual advantages. Honestly I see the SCENIC app as a cheaper, just as functional, alternative. Others may disagree. I'm OK with that.

Again, I guess it boils down to personal choice.

I've tried to transition to using smart phones for navigation using the Scenic and Rever apps vs Garmin's Mapsource and Basecamp software but the way I use my motorcycles a dedicated GPS is still easier to use and allows me to easily manage my personal library of routes. Aside from the basic hardware differences affecting on-the-fly all weather use, phone apps are too much work to build and share routes and even then still don't work as well when it comes to laying down a complex route or list with a lot of waypoints or shaping points on smaller state and county rural roads and then saving them in a database. I use my phone for basic A to B navigation but not for complex turn by turn shaping of back road routes.

To the Zumo 396 - I've been using one 20 months now. It's the latest in a line of Garmin GPS units going back to the first Garmin 38 I bought in the early 1990s. Initially I was disappointed in the muted colors and screen contrast compared to the Zumo 550 and older Street Pilots but despite not having the bright blue/greens/yellows it's actually easier to see and pick out displayed roads in bright daylight. For $250 or less...... what was the question? It's amazing how far they have come for 25% of the price 15 years ago. I still use a Zumo 550 on the RT and find the 396 updates far faster.

I've tried to transition to using smart phones for navigation using the Scenic and Rever apps vs Garmin's Mapsource and Basecamp software but the way I use my motorcycles a dedicated GPS is still easier to use and allows me to easily manage my personal library of routes. Aside from the basic hardware differences affecting on-the-fly all weather use, phone apps are too much work to build and share routes and even then still don't work as well when it comes to laying down a complex route or list with a lot of waypoints or shaping points on smaller state and county rural roads and then saving them in a database. I use my phone for basic A to B navigation but not for complex turn by turn shaping of back road routes.

To the Zumo 396 - I've been using one 20 months now. It's the latest in a line of Garmin GPS units going back to the first Garmin 38 I bought in the early 1990s. Initially I was disappointed in the muted colors and screen contrast compared to the Zumo 550 and older Street Pilots but despite not having the bright blue/greens/yellows it's actually easier to see and pick out displayed roads in bright daylight. For $250 or less...... what was the question? It's amazing how far they have come for 25% of the price 15 years ago. I still use a Zumo 550 on the RT and find the 396 updates far faster.
Thanks for the 396 feedback. My beef with the Zumo 390 is that it cannot be set to dislpay high map detail - not even an option. Further, the map scale level automatically changes and will not stay where I put it. The interface for panning around the map is awkward and different from any other Garmin I have used. The Zumo 390 is OK if you set a destination and follow the route directions riding the interstate highways, or like you said, A to B navigation. If you want to explore backroads in unknown areas, it is extremely difficult to use. I have continued to use my two over-10-years-old Nuvi 500/550 units because they are superior designs to the 390.

I've tried to transition to using smart phones for navigation using the Scenic and Rever apps vs Garmin's Mapsource and Basecamp software ...
I was very dissatisfied with Rever; on the other hand I greatly like the fact that I can actually get Scenic to route me on any road I choose, including gravel shortcuts if I wish. It is probably more of a familiarity issue than anything else, I have 3 various Garmin units, 2 for long distance hiking and 1 for auto use, never really found any of them satisfying or intuitive to use.

The good thing is we are free to choose the type of navigator we wish to use. Be it a dedicated unit or a phone.

If you led a ride one day in NC at one of the events and I liked your route and asked you to send it to me, how would it come to me and could I save it as a GPX to download into a GPS for that day's ride or save it for the next year's event?

Back