Need Help Fork upgrade

Wedders

Reaction score
I have searched the forum for answers but only get mixed messages. So I thought I would ask directly, in your opinion what is the best fork upgrade on a budget. I am a pretty competent amateur mechanic so looking to do the job myself. I have trawled the interweb and come up with a couple of options.
1. progressive springs and new oil
2. A fork upgrade kit
3. New cartridges.
4. New compatible forks
I am leaning towards a fork upgrade kit but which one?
I am on a budget as I’ve already spent thousand on my Ducati, and don’t want to do it again that’s got Ohlins.
BTW it’s a NC750X DCT 2016
Any help greatly received.

670cc

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
1) The stock Honda fork springs are already progressive spings. I’ve seen advertisement for “upgrading” to progressive spings, but that makes no sense since the spring are already a progressive rate. Changing springs alone isn’t going to help the forks much, unless you need a spring rate change because your weight is outside the average range Honda builds the bike for.

The most popular fork upgrades seen on the forum seem to be Racetech Gold Valve Emulators, or the Cogent fork upgrade. Both attempt to accomplish about the same thing, but go about it in a slightly different way.

SlimDude

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Cogent also offers a combination of their DDC valves plus a new set of non-progressive springs, which they claim perform better that the stock progressive springs. They will supply based on your weight. Another additional option with the Cogent upgrade is to install CB900 fork caps with preload adjustment. You can pick them up on Amazon and eBay for cheap.

Wedders

Reaction score
I have been researching all day and I have come to the conclusion that Race Tech gold emulators seem to be the best but not the cheapest. My suspension guy says he can supply me with all the bits, emulators, springs oil etc for £330 all in. What does the forum think. I have decided to do it myself for the experience.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Cogent Dynamics worked well for me.

I'd suggest measuring your static and rider sag so you go into the spring selection with the information necessary to make a good decision on springs.

670cc

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have been researching all day and I have come to the conclusion that Race Tech gold emulators seem to be the best but not the cheapest. My suspension guy says he can supply me with all the bits, emulators, springs oil etc for £330 all in. What does the forum think. I have decided to do it myself for the experience.
Racetech likes to sell their single rate springs. It depends on your riding style and road surface quality. I found their lightest spring rate to be too stiff for me, some I’m using stock progressive springs. I weigh 165 pounds in the morning. You can install the emulators with or without their recommended fork springs.

Last edited:

TacomaJD

Reaction score
I have currently sent my forks off to a well known suspension guy semi-local to me to have new springs, racetech gold valve emulators, new seals and bushings put in. I'm not sure what springs he is using, I will ask if I can remember the next time I talk to him. He said the emulators were on back order, he's had my forks for a week already, and was hoping the parts would be in this week, but haven't heard anything.

I weigh 215 lbs without gear, want the forks built strictly for track use (not concerned with street ride quality), so I know he will be using heavier springs in the forks, as it dives terribly now when on the brakes hard. Hoping to have them back on the bike by the end of the month, as I planned on doing another track day June 28th.

Last edited:

Wedders

Reaction score
I have currently sent my forks off to a well known suspension guy semi-local to me to have new springs, racetech gold valve emulators, new seals and bushings put in. I'm not sure what springs he is using, I will ask if I can remember the next time I talk to him. He said the emulators were on back order, he's had my forks for a week already, and was hoping the parts would be in this week, but haven't heard anything.

I weigh 215 lbs without gear, want the forks built strictly for track use (not concerned with street ride quality), so I know he will be using heavier springs in the forks, as it dives terribly now when on the brakes hard. Hoping to have them back on the bike by the end of the month, as I planned on doing another track day June 28th.
Please keep me updated in case I haven’t done mine by then.

TacomaJD

Reaction score
Please keep me updated in case I haven’t done mine by then.
Will do. If you like sport riding, I am almost certain this is the best route to go. When I called and talked to the suspension guy, he was looking up specs on his computer about my NC because it's not the type of bike he usually works on. He goes to local track days and tunes suspension for people, and builds suspension for racers. When he looked up whatever he was looking up, he saw that the NC forks are made by Showa and are pretty much same as what comes on Suzuki SV650's, popular budget track bikes. I have read where lots of people run emulators in damper rod style forks on track bikes and had nothing but praise to be said, so I am expecting significant results with emulators and heavier springs.

Wedders

Reaction score
I’ve bit the bullet and ordered the Race Tech springs, emulators, seals and oil. My guy said they would take 3 weeks.