• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Fluttering at low rpms & idle

dukekzn

Reaction score
Visit site
My NX750x is fluttering/spluttering at low rpms or when I give throttle. At idle the rpms will jump around. When riding the bike splutters in low gears/low rpms. Once at higher speeds there is no problem and rpms remain stable. However when I give throttle there is a slight delay as if the bike chokes briefly. I would imagine the problem as something to do with fuel, air or spark. I’ve ruled out dirty fuel as that’s what I first expected. Any ideas?

I would bet it's something electrical rather than mechanical, as long as we're sure nothing is wrong with the fuel itself. But what electrical things, I do not know. I just wouldn't picture a relatively new Honda having mechanical issues that would cause this.

The thread title sounds very like the symptoms of my heart from time to time. It occasionally has an erratic tickover but responds ok to larger throttle openings......:D

could be a bad or clogged fuel injector: symptoms of a bad/clogged fuel injector: You have at least 3 of the below symptoms......
  • Starting issues.
  • Poor idle.
  • Failed emissions.
  • Poor Performance.
  • Engine does not reach full RPM.
  • Increased fuel consumption.
  • Rough engine performance.
  • Surging and bucking under various throttle loads.

I like your air, fuel, spark idea. Start with the simple stuff. Air filter is a bit of a finicky job. Check the plugs. Injector cleaner.

Mine had similar symptoms a couple years ago accompanied by the gauge cluster blinking on and off at certain RPMs. As suggested by a couple people in this forum, I checked the battery connections and one of them was loose.

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions. Bike is 2015 model, but only done 8300km. Last serviced just on a year ago so it is time for another one in any case.

No warning light indicators and no new electronics added recently. Rechecked the battery terminals (although had done that before) - no problems there.

I'm seems spark and injector are next checks.
Cheers

Unsteady idle and hesitation when opening the throttle are typical of a lean fuel mixture.

Has this bike been in storage or seen very little use lately?

Unsteady idle and hesitation when opening the throttle are typical of a lean fuel mixture.

Has this bike been in storage or seen very little use lately?
It was in storage for 2 months a while back. My first thought was bad fuel but I've gone through 2 complete tanks of new fuel with no change.

Spark plugs on these bike can last 100,000 km, so I wouldn't waste time looking at them, except that if they are different colors it could suggest a problem with one injector or the other.

If the motorcyccle was normal before sitting for 2 months, but now misbehaves, the two things I'd suspect are the battery condition and the fuel injectors. You could have a big mouse nest in the airbox but that would especially affect higher speed operation, which you don't indicate is a problem.

Back