• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Fixing the squishy rear brake

Wanderer

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So I have noticed that the rear brake is awfully soft. I think I could make it lock up if I put most of my weight on the pedal when I'm on a dirt road. Maybe. Has anyone else made any changes? Different piston/cylinder/pad?

Not sure why they didn't come up in my search, but I see several threads on the issue now...

Yes Honda designed the NC so the rear brake isn't particularly easy to lock up. Some people, like me, prefer it and some hate it. I ride a good bit off-road and yes it will lock up in dirt. I can lock it up on the street but takes a lot of pressure which to me is a good thing. My CRF20L locks up way too easy for my taste.

You can try a brake fluid change. Sometimes that helps brake feel. High quality braided brake lines can also help with feel. In the end, it is what it is.

I don't really use the rear brake unless I have to because of this problem, can't feel what's going on back there until I've locked up the rear tire. The front brake alone works very well 99% of the time. If I need to use the rear brake something had gone wrong

I do wish I could have gotten ABS without the DCT I would have paid the price of he DCT for that

I'm very happy with my relatively weak rear brake. Feel and low speed control are excellent. That said, I don't know how yours and mine would compare side by side.

I guess you could scuff up the pads (in case they are glazed), clean the rotor, and change the fluid. If that fails, try some different pads.

The testers always seem to refer to them as wooden. I've never tried wood brakes so I wouldn't know.

Helpful thread, mine wasn't squishy until recently so was concerned something had gone wrong. All checks out OK but will probably replace the pads in case they are glazed. Would just try some hard stopping to scrape it off but...well, the squish likely wouldn't let me get too nuts. Seem to hold well enough regardless.

Sent from a newfangled digital doo-hickey

Back