• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

First year with the NC700X, with numbers

New Commuter700

Site Supporter
Reaction score
nc700xcommuter.com
I have finished up my first year with this bike and I am still very happy with it. So happy that I got a specialty plate just for it (see avatar image). I have logged 16,900 miles on this bike in the first year, which does not include the months of July and August last year because I got clumsy and hurt myself to the tune of 4 broken ribs. I do, however plan to ride through the summer this year even though I know that July is going to be all but unbearable and August will bring more days that I don't ride because of the rain.

This is a 2015 but I bought it new last year. Over the year I have needed little in the way of repair. I did go through the original tires which I replaced at the dealership along with the first 12K maintenance, which they screwed so bad that I will never go back there. This bike has had 3 oil changes so far. (The shop did one at the 12K mark and I redid it with the correct oil.) The only broken part that I had to replace is the right bracket for the lower cowl which I somehow managed to strip. I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to get a new one for about $7.

I made no modifications and have just a few adds. OEM panniers, centerstand. rear rack, and taller windscreen. After market top box and horn are all that I added. The bike is a good height for me (5'11" [180cm] with a 34" [86cm] inseam) so there has been no thought of modifying the height. I am still considering changing the rear sprocket since most of my riding is on the highway and it runs around 4k at 75 mph. But right now the rear sprocket and chain still looks good and there is no reason to change it yet.

I have kept a detailed spreadsheet of this bike and I figured that I would share my numbers:

Miles - 16,900 miles
average MPG - 75.949 mi/gal
Insurance- $450.28 (for a year and a half, I just made the next payment.)
Parts and initial cost - $11,345.19
Service - $552.65 (yea, not going back)
Registration - $588.57 (now good through 2024)
Overall, all in dollars per mile is 80 cents per mile
Dollars per mile for just gas is 4 cents per mile
Dollars per mile without the initial cost of the bike and accessories is 23 cents per mile (which should be a pretty good indicator of where it will be for the life of the bike.)

Last year I was trying to decide on this bike or a Subaru. This one only won because the Subaru couldn't use the carpool lane. But, I don't think that I would have the Subaru paid off yet (the bike is) and it would not be as much fun:):cool:

And I thought it was me being nerdy with my spreadsheets! I'll share my stats in a bit - I get better mpg on mine :)

...unless there's a difference between the US and Imperial gallon...?

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

And I thought it was me being nerdy with my spreadsheets! I'll share my stats in a bit - I get better mpg on mine :)

...unless there's a difference between the US and Imperial gallon...?

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Yes, there is a difference. a US gallon is about 3 and 3/4 liters. Imperial is about 4 and a half. I would expect your mileage to be about 90 miles per Imperial gallon or about 20 miles per liter. But I seem to recall that you Brits use the litres per 100 km which should be just over 3 litres/100km.

Good for you Tink, that is pretty amazing. I would recommend the sprocket change as i did with mine. I went up on both ends, 17T & 39T(from a DCT) and that allows me to run 3200rpm @ 75. I have also changed rear tire size when the factory 160/60 wore out at 5900 miles to a 150/70. Now that i have worn that one out at 10850 miles, i just installed a new Shinko 705 in 140/80. SO we'll see how that one rolls along. Even though it has a weird/strong vibration from 16mph-24mph(which i believe is from the lug pattern), so far i like it. Enjoy and Ride on!! :{)

Last edited:
Changing both the front and rear was too much for me on my standard 2013

I'm 5"11 with a 32" inseam weighing 220lb without gear and changing both front and rear sprocket made my NC gutless in 6th going up even a moderate grade or headwind.

Changing just the front sprocket to the 17 tooth my NC sits around 3,800 instead of 4,000 or 4,100 going 75mph, it got rid of the slight buzz that I had in the handlebars and the larger front sprocket is easier on the chain anyway

It’ll be interesting to see what your running cost per mile becomes once you have tires, chain & sprocket, and gear costs figured in, OP (I realize you won’t have those until they all wear out at least once). I like the NCX. It’s a good commuter as well as a good tourer for me. The numbers just don’t look quite like yours when I run them.

I purchased mine at the end of July 2018, so it has also been about a year. I have only done 680 miles so far, the winters are cold here in WI :eek:

Mine is a 2013 NC700X, purchased off of Facebook marketplace for $3000. Unfortunately just a month after riding it, I crashed the bike due to a driver to my right making an illegal u-turn. This resulted in an extra cost of $284.61 in damage repair, although the bike now looks nearly new again. Stats are below, and my detailed spreadsheet can be found at the following link:

NC700X Tracking - Google Sheets

Miles - 680
Average MPG - 50.4 mi/gal
Insurance - $273.82
Parts + Cost - $3846.37
Damage Repair - $284.61
Registration - $11.50

KBB Value - $3812.50

Number of fillups - 6

Dollars Per Mile (w/ depreciation) - $0.47
Dollars per mile (just gas) - $0.06

Back