• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

First "trip" on Skookum

Great stuff!

One thing that can help with throttle fatigue is to install a good set of grippy grips. Don't know what you're using but gel-type grips from Pro-Grip are my faves and a huge improvement over stock.

The grippier grip lets you maintain throttle control with much less grip pressure, reducing fatigue.

I prefer a light throttle; the NC with its dual cables is a little heavy for my taste.

Sumo - They will actually build you a real backrest if you want them to. The shape of my seat offers a fair amount of support in the tailbone area (I can scoot back and apply pressure if I need to) but it only sticks up about 4-5 inches. I did not choose to add the 'heat' option but they do offer it. The only option that I purchased was a rain cover. These seats form a real 'bucket' that will hold water if you let it sit out in the rain or ride in a lot of rain. The rain cover is just a waterproof nylon cover with elastic to hold it in place. You can ride with it installed if you wish.

GC - This is, by far, the longest I have ridden on the bike and those throttle return springs beat me up. I have tried CrampBusters and they work - a little. On this trip I used one of the generic pinch/bar/lever deals - I think its a GoCruise. I did not want to adjust it too tightly for fear of damaging my grip. I got it as tight as I thought I could but the bike still seemed to drop 1-2mph every time I hit a bump. Still, this was much better than no throttle lock at all. I will look into new grips... that sounds like a helpful solution.
>T

Great write up, Olythom. This surpasses anything I've read in a moto magazine!

Thanks for taking to time to report.
Advice from another old guy.
Ditch the mummy bag and get quilts made for hammock camping.
Use an insulated air mattress. I use big agnes. I put a soft bag liner over that like a sheet for comfort.
Get a cot. REI has one that folds up to the size of a shoe box.
Might need a duffle bag to carry the extra bulk.
Love to have a Russell, but I barely touch the ground now.

Thanks for taking to time to report.
Advice from another old guy.
Ditch the mummy bag and get quilts made for hammock camping.
Use an insulated air mattress. I use big agnes. I put a soft bag liner over that like a sheet for comfort.
Get a cot. REI has one that folds up to the size of a shoe box.
Might need a duffle bag to carry the extra bulk.
Love to have a Russell, but I barely touch the ground now.

DD - Got it. If I do any more 'camping', I will be looking into every one of those suggestions.
>T

Back