• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

First time buyer. Any idea what price point I should look for used bike - 2019-2021

aavi

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi friends,

I am buying a bike for the first time and have no idea what the best price is and how to negotiate the price.

MSRP - is this something I can ask to bring down? - they are quoting more than a new bike price
Used bike Certification fee - 650$ I think I can ask this to be taken off?
Doc fee - car dealers don’t budge on this - not sure about bikes?
Sales tax, registration, tire fee - these are non negotiable
Warranty - would I get the standard 3 year warranty
Extended warranty - I don’t want to buy this
Battery warranty - should I buy this? In AZ

Hi friends,

I am buying a bike for the first time and have no idea what the best price is and how to negotiate the price.

MSRP - is this something I can ask to bring down? - they are quoting more than a new bike price
Used bike Certification fee - 650$ I think I can ask this to be taken off?
Doc fee - car dealers don’t budge on this - not sure about bikes?
Sales tax, registration, tire fee - these are non negotiable
Warranty - would I get the standard 3 year warranty
Extended warranty - I don’t want to buy this
Battery warranty - should I buy this? In AZ
I wouldn't get any extended warrantees, especially if you can work on your own vehicles. Some bikes you can negotiate on and some not. The bike I plan to sell and the one I have ordered sell easily and there is no wiggle room. (Selling a 2018 Kawasaki Z900RS and buying a new Honda NC750X DCT.) No dealers within 500 miles would come down a penny on the price of the Honda and I can sell the Kawi for what I paid for it. The same goes for used bikes, if they are a popular bike that sells easily you won't get much of a deal if any. It's a matter of "supply and demand".

Last edited:
I bought mine used about a year and a half ago and there was a little wiggle room since it was used. I got it down about 250$ but that was it.

This may be stating the obvious, apologies if so, but you have a greater likelihood of successfully negotiating a fair price on a used bike than new in today's market. Bikes sales seem to have slowed so I think you are going to see dealers being much more flexible now that the effects of/response to/sentiment regarding the pandemic is what it is.
  • I just bought a 2018 with 10K miles for $5600.00 (market value is about $3000.00 more than that) not as a result of direct negotiation but rather by being patient. It sat on their floor for a long time (over 4 months) without being sold and was going to auction.
  • Documentation fees are typically something you can get some movement on.
  • Licensing servicing fees are definitely negotiable at many dealers here in Florida at least. When they charge $300.00 for a $6.00 electronic transfer fee that takes less than 5 minutes, you can negotiate that. Prices should be on AZs motor vehicle division website.
  • If you are buying used, and buying the warranty, make sure it covers meaningful items. Very often, you need a catastrophic failure for these to have any value (if they even have value). In other words, things like a shift motor on the DCT may not be covered while not an inexpensive repair to pay for out of pocket.
  • Having the warranty will not change the fact that in climates like we have in Florida and Arizona, our batteries are likely to fail in ~3 years. Math question on your part for that one.

These are bad times for buying a motorcycle because of short supply. The transaction has swung highly in favor of the seller, so negotiating room is low.

Have you considered buying from a private seller? Most of those fees, and those useless warranty decisions go away. You pay less for the motorcycle and accept some risk, but with a relatively new Honda, the risk is very low. I have bought more used bikes than new ones, but never bought a used bike from a dealer. You also might want to expand your search to older NC models, since besides a couple styling changes and a one time displacement bump, the bike is not significantly changed since 2012.

A dealer’s primary goal is to extract maximum money from your wallet, so beware.

These are bad times for buying a motorcycle because of short supply. The transaction has swung highly in favor of the seller, so negotiating room is low.

Have you considered buying from a private seller? Most of those fees, and those useless warranty decisions go away. You pay less for the motorcycle and accept some risk, but with a relatively new Honda, the risk is very low. I have bought more used bikes than new ones, but never bought a used bike from a dealer. You also might want to expand your search to older NC models, since besides a couple styling changes and a one time displacement bump, the bike is not significantly changed since 2012.

A dealer’s primary goal is to extract maximum money from your wallet, so beware.
This ^^^^.

Since it's going to be your first bike, there's no reason to get ripped off buying used from a dealer, or even buying a brand new one from a dealer. What happens in a few months if you decide riding is just not for you like you initially thought...then you end up losing money trying to sell your bike that you don't want anymore because nobody is going to pay a good full price for it when they can go down to the dealer and get a brand new one just like you did for a few more dollars.

I suggest searching cycle trader and maybe even Facebook marketplace, and find one that's used and owned by a private seller. I can only assume, but surely you have a friend or two that knows more about motorcycles that maybe can go with you to look at one. As long as it's clean and appears to have been taken care of, as 670 said above, there' relatively low risk with these machines, as they have proven to be very reliable.

This ^^^^.

Since it's going to be your first bike, there's no reason to get ripped off buying used from a dealer, or even buying a brand new one from a dealer. What happens in a few months if you decide riding is just not for you like you initially thought...then you end up losing money trying to sell your bike that you don't want anymore because nobody is going to pay a good full price for it when they can go down to the dealer and get a brand new one just like you did for a few more dollars.

I suggest searching cycle trader and maybe even Facebook marketplace, and find one that's used and owned by a private seller. I can only assume, but surely you have a friend or two that knows more about motorcycles that maybe can go with you to look at one. As long as it's clean and appears to have been taken care of, as 670 said above, there' relatively low risk with these machines, as they have proven to be very reliable.
Thanks for the great feedback! I have been monitoring private offers but don’t see any in my area for a couple of months so thought would check with dealers.
Surprisingly don’t see any in my immediate circle who knows motorcycles :)
Hence using the broader community.

Thanks for the great feedback! I have been monitoring private offers but don’t see any in my area for a couple of months so thought would check with dealers.
The NC700/750X mototorcycle is not popular in the United States (whereas it is a big seller elsewhere). At times, NC buying choices in the US can be limited. You are also trying to buy at a time of year when motorcycle interests are high, which could drive up pricing. Keep looking; something will come up.

I am willing to travel 500 miles to get the exact motorcycle and deal I want. I’m not sure how big your search area is, but if you found nothing local, perhaps expand your search.

Broaden your search for a used one. I sold a Yamaha FJ-09 this past fall and a guy and his wife drove to my house in North AL from Panama City, FL, about a 6 hour drive, and he drove the bike back home the next day while his wife drove the car. The bike was mint and had decently low miles, and was priced right. He knew it, so he did what he had to do to get what he wanted. He didn't try to negotiate price at all....which may be the first time I've ever had a buyer not do that regarding something I was selling. I still made $400 on it too!

Either way, maybe you'll find one. I must ask, though, with nobody in your circle being a motorcycle enthusiast, what's got you wanting to buy one, and more specifically the NC? The NC is a GREAT beginner bike, so if you like riding, it will be a great one to start out on, but also one that you won't quickly "outgrow" and find yourself needing to upgrade.

Broaden your search for a used one. I sold a Yamaha FJ-09 this past fall and a guy and his wife drove to my house in North AL from Panama City, FL, about a 6 hour drive, and he drove the bike back home the next day while his wife drove the car. The bike was mint and had decently low miles, and was priced right. He knew it, so he did what he had to do to get what he wanted. He didn't try to negotiate price at all....which may be the first time I've ever had a buyer not do that regarding something I was selling. I still made $400 on it too!

Either way, maybe you'll find one. I must ask, though, with nobody in your circle being a motorcycle enthusiast, what's got you wanting to buy one, and more specifically the NC? The NC is a GREAT beginner bike, so if you like riding, it will be a great one to start out on, but also one that you won't quickly "outgrow" and find yourself needing to upgrade.
Yep did whatever research I could do and decided to get this - hoping my wife will also be able to use it esp. with DCT. That was the main driver.

Yep did whatever research I could do and decided to get this - hoping my wife will also be able to use it esp. with DCT. That was the main driver.
Yep, DCT is good for beginners and old people (plus in between) which will keep them popular for a long time. Mine is supposed to be in in 2 weeks.............

Look at the selling price points of the bikes on this platform. For example, someone on this forum this for sale in California (with Arizona title):

You might want to see if your closest Honda dealer has any new old stock 19-20 model years. I feel you would be able to at least get rid of any market adjustments on a bike like that. MSRP and standard fees maybe?

Rumbleon has a few options for used posted that might be interesting.

Got mine today!! Thank you all for giving me confidence :)
Not sure if it was the best price but declined extended warranty, battery and tire warranty.
Also got them to thrown in a helmet (300$)

Attachments

• 3248BAD4-AF04-4D59-93AF-FD515FEE4E53.jpeg
    3248BAD4-AF04-4D59-93AF-FD515FEE4E53.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 30
Congrats aavi! I'm also new to the NC and it surprises me every time I ride it. People who say it's boring aren't riding it right. It's different but definitely not boring . I'm in love with third gear for my local riding. You chose wisely.

Not sure if it was the best price but declined extended warranty, battery and tire warranty.
Beautiful. Sure wish I could get that pipe on my 700X. They sound so much better. If you love the bike, which I'm sure you will, then the price was good. Throw some soft bags on it and you can tour the country like a Goldwing. Hey, you just saved $10-15k. Already a great price!

Don't get too concerned with the price, nobody is giving these away right now and you're lucky to even get one. I put a $300 deposit down in January and still haven't seen it. I never spring for any warrantees, it's just a money maker for the dealer.

That bike looks exceptionally clean, especially for what looks like a 2016.

Very nice! I have the same exact bike! Looks great!

Beautiful. Sure wish I could get that pipe on my 700X. They sound so much better. If you love the bike, which I'm sure you will, then the price was good. Throw some soft bags on it and you can tour the country like a Goldwing. Hey, you just saved $10-15k. Already a great price!
Find a used exhaust off a 2016-2020 NC....it'll fit the 2012-2015 year models, as well.

Congrats! Did you get it from Western Honda, or one of the seemingly-millions of RideNow stores in the metro Phoenix area?

Back