• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

First maintenance service

MSAB

Reaction score
Visit site
I know most Hondas need a service maintenance at ~600 miles or 1000 km. However I was reading on some reviews and forums that the first service interval for the NCs is at 8000 km. I am a bit confused. Do you go in for first service at 8000 km/5000 miles or is 8000km/5000miles the interval after your break-in period and first 1000 km/600 mile service?
Sorry in advance if this has been posted before.

As said above 600 miles. My understanding is that this is basically a special service and a once off in relation to the regular maintenance schedule, it is primarily for changing the oil/oil filter as in the first few hundred miles while the engine is breaking-in there can be small bits of metal from the engine coming lose and building up in the oil. They probably also check for things coming loose etc.

Just reviewed the owner's manual. It is significantly different from the eg CBR250, in that it does not need the valves to be adjusted until 8000 km. So the reviews were indeed right. Yes, oil needs to be changed, that is for sure. However, it was the 'valve clearance' maintenance that was very expensive at ~350$. The NC doesnot need that (according to manual) until 8000 km.

I also have the service manual. After looking over several procedures, I am fairly sure I will be doing my own maintenance. The valve clearance check isn't nearly as intimidating as I thought it would be.

I've bought 2 new bikes and its on the condition that I get the 1st service free.
if they refuse then they've lost the sale.
so far so good.
as far as I'm concerned there are plenty of other dealers to who will.

Just FYI - I think my 600 miles service cost about $120 (something in that region)

Glad I live in the backwaters of Oregon. My first service was $45. I've heard prices are high in Hawaii, but that sound like (should I say it?) highway robbery!!!

$350 for first service is for the bikes that need a valve adjustment, not just a regular oil change which is usually 40-60$. That is why I was asking did any of your 1st services mentioned anything about the valve adjustment. Sorry for any confusions.

Back