• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

First Long ride - Manitoba to Sturgis SD

Don

Reaction score
Visit site
I wanted to post a little from my first serious motorcycle adventure which began this Sept 4th.

Initially I had thought I couldn't ride so far with back pain that I too often get in my lower back but this bike has been pretty good. A good ride for me is one tank of gas on a Saturday though ... and then I probably don't ride the next day. So in preparation I installed a hitch on my car and ordered proper tie downs ect. I was thinking of towing my bike on a trailer to the South Dakota Black Hills but I wasn't too fond of the idea of towing such a long distance. It's shows 692 miles on google maps for the route I planned and that of course doesn't include detours and the riding I would do upon arrival.

So Here I am on Day two. My rear tire was just about down to the wear bar and I had already tried to get a tire in Dickinson but they said they just didn't have time. So on to Sturgis where my next hotel had been booked ... This is a rest stop on Hwy22. You'll notice I have an AirHawk R Cruiser Seat Pad to help with the miles. I also have a Shad Seat and for my riding in the Black Hills that is all I used but for the long steady days of riding, I added the Air Hawk. I also had rigged a car type GPS to help with navigation and to answer the nagging question ... how far to go??? till the next stop.

P9050061.jpg

P9050062.jpg

I like it that there is no bags strapped on my bike anywhere and it's not too obvious that I am travelling.
So after trying to find a tire for my bike in Sturgis and Spearfish I finally got a tire at the Honda dealer in Rapid City. A big shout out to the Honda dealer in Spearfish that while not having a tire did set me up with an appointment and tire in Rapid City.

So Here I am travelling on the Needles hwy and Iron Mountain.

P9070222.jpg

P9070238.jpg

P9070248.jpg

I ended up with approximately 1800 miles on my journey and many many great memories.
I'm not really sorry I did it solo either as I was able to totally ride on my own terms and at my own pace.

Incidentally after 6 days on the road with no radio, I've been leaving my radio off in my car as well and just take driving time to reflect and certainly not clutter up my thoughts with all the radio jabber. It's kind a nice.

Now where to next. ;-)

P9060176.jpg

Last edited:
Back