• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

First impressions: new Madstad 20" windshield

Thanks! I'll call Madstad before placing an order. I'm on the East cost of FL, and they're due West on the Gulf Cost, I may be able to go there and do an exchange if necessary.

I'm 5'6" and I'm happy with a 20". I have it all the way down most of the time.

It was a prototype screen for Madstad so maybe the holes on production models are drilled a different height from the bottom.

not bad at all - very nice bike! is the screen in the highest position by any chance? also are you looking just above it an inch or two line of sight?

Sorry late reply, quite busy lately :)
Answer is, I look through it ;) Never paid much attention to that, not an issue for me. Unless by night and with rain, but I'd say I use to not see anything at all with or without windscreen then :D

As promised a few days ago, I pulled the bike out when it stopped raining. I set the 20" Madstad to its lowest and farthest forward position. I then set the X-creen to simulate a 22" Madstad in the same position. I have stock holes in the screen as delivered by Madstad. I am 6' tall and have a 32" inseam. I am siting on the bike, flat footed, with torso in a riding position and the camera is positioned at eye level.

My concern is folks who say they can "see over" the 22" screen and some are less that 6'. To me, I question the definition of "see over" vs "look through" - on the 22" screen (I owned one and sold it) anything closer than 100' was viewed through the screen at its lowest setting, killing the adjustability for me (I could only make it worse). On the 20" in its lowest setting, I am in better shape and can raise it if needed (I won't - I raise the X-creen instead).

I hope this helps. The folks at Madstad recommended a 20" for me and they were right - call them, talk to them and then buy....

IMG_5453.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,

I choose for the 20 inch, despite Madstad advised the 22 on my height (6'3"). As my inseam is close to 33" I previewed the minimal and maximum height settings of both the 20" and 22" screens, by drawing lines on a strip of cardboard. I liked the 20" best as I could still look over the edge on the highest setting. As I live in The Netherlands I ordered it at the UK distributor. I'm very pleased with it and have it set most of the time at 1/3 from the top and halfway the angle. Then my visor keeps clean, the wind noise is low and have no problems riding the interstates. The side deflectors were added after the photo was taken, these make the air pocket swirl totally absent.

152.jpg

Last edited:
Some people sit up straighter than others, and the nc700 allows some flexibility in position, which is something you never see mentioned in the positives.

Also some people have long torsos and some have short ones in proportion.

Not to be outdone, I just put an MRA X-creen Touring on my 22" Madstad.

I have achieved maximum windscreenage.

I am considering doing the same thing. I installed the Madstad last weekend. It is the 22" and it is just OK. I find I am having to raise the windshield a lot and still getting a lot of wind noise. Worse yet I am having the screen come in contact with the bars. So I am ordering some risers to see if that helps with the contact issue with the windshield.

I am now thinking I will need to try the MRA to get more coverage without having to raise up the screen so much. The gap below the windshield is large before even raising the windshield, and I think raising it causes other issues with the growing gap below the screen. So I am hoping the combination of the risers and the MRA might fix this for me. Basically I guess I am saying I needed at least a 24" screen! LOL

I searched but didn't find whether the Madstad works out better for most as opposed to the other brands...is there a poll? I'm not even sure how many other brands of windscreens there are. And just so I understand, when you order a Madstad screen, they provide the bracket for it as well? Have never ordered a screen so total newbie here. I'm 5'9" with a 32" inseam and my stock screen hits me all around my helmet. My helmet is a Shoei Neotec modular which is a "quiet" helmet but all I feel is buffeting and with a chin guard, no less. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I searched but didn't find whether the Madstad works out better for most as opposed to the other brands...is there a poll? I'm not even sure how many other brands of windscreens there are. And just so I understand, when you order a Madstad screen, they provide the bracket for it as well? Have never ordered a screen so total newbie here. I'm 5'9" with a 32" inseam and my stock screen hits me all around my helmet. My helmet is a Shoei Neotec modular which is a "quiet" helmet but all I feel is buffeting and with a chin guard, no less. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

@LiveInTheMoment: Get the Madstad. It's well-reviewed, nicely adjustable and reduces buffeting. I'm 6'0" with 32" inseam, and I have the 20" Madstad. (I tried the 22" but it's too big.) For you maybe the 18" is best. I also wear a modular helmet (Nolan N104), which makes wind noise a challenge with any windshield.

I live in Orange County, if you want to see the 20" on a 2016 NC700XD. (I'll shortly be selling my brand new 22" Madstad, but that doesn't help you because a) it's too tall, and b) I'm selling it without the bracket.)

GoRovers...Thanks. I've been checking out all the pics on here which has given me a good sense of how it looks. Seems like it offers more than the others...rake angle & height adjustment. And I think I read where someone said it "clears" their Givi handguards...that or the company now already shaves off 1/8mm to accommodate. On a different note, if I may, looks like you have so many different bikes...may I ask of all those which is your favorite bike and how hard is it to do tight u-turns with this DCT model?

I'm 6'2" and also run a 22" set at the lowest position. I feel using the larger screen set low provides the best coverage. I look just over the windscreen. No buffet and quiet. Often run with my face shield open. One thing that really helped me with the set up was to use an inclinometer to set the angle. Madstad suggests 60 degrees. This is the angle I use and from testing works best for me.

@Live: It's difficult to pick which of my motorcycles (over the past 40 years) is my favorite, because every bike was perfect for its time. When I was in my early 20s, riding my dual-purpose Honda XL250R to work (on the freeway) and back home (on dirt roads) was heaven. Not my cup of tea today though. My suspension-modified GL1800 Gold Wing gave me the most years of grinning-while-riding. I scraped pegs while canyon carving alongside my buddies on R1s and GSX-Rs. Again, no longer a top priority. I have a chronic left-thumb injury which should have meant my two-wheel years were over, but the NC700X's DCT gave me a new lease on riding...so I guess the NC must now take "top fave" honors.

Regarding tight U-turns on the NC DCT: no problems at all. 1st or 2nd gear with a touch of rear brake if needed. Practice (with cones if possible) in a parking lot for 15 minutes and you'll have all the confidence you need. (While you're in a parking lot, might as well practice panic stops too.)

GoRovers...Thanks. I've been checking out all the pics on here which has given me a good sense of how it looks. Seems like it offers more than the others...rake angle & height adjustment. And I think I read where someone said it "clears" their Givi handguards...that or the company now already shaves off 1/8mm to accommodate. On a different note, if I may, looks like you have so many different bikes...may I ask of all those which is your favorite bike and how hard is it to do tight u-turns with this DCT model?

@GoRovers, Yes...I keep doing the parking lot practice but I wish I could make my u-turns a little tighter...I have that fear of falling; that, and my throttle seems very sensitive. Like, I feel like I'm barely moving it but it wants to surge ahead...maybe it's already memorized that's how I take off from a light or stop sign?

@GoRovers, Yes...I keep doing the parking lot practice but I wish I could make my u-turns a little tighter...I have that fear of falling; that, and my throttle seems very sensitive. Like, I feel like I'm barely moving it but it wants to surge ahead...maybe it's already memorized that's how I take off from a light or stop sign?

For those u turns with the DCT, use the rear brake and keep the throttle more constant -- that was the secret as revealed by several of the folks on this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would go with the 20" set at the lowest setting and then play with the angles to get your best results. If I raise mine even an inch I get a lot more buffeting and noise coming up under the shield. Some on here have the MRA screen that attaches to the top of the Madstad. This affords them even more flexibility than having say a 22" at the lowest setting. I think that's a very valid option because I need to keep my 20" down low for noise abatement but can see that there would be times during inclement weather where I would like additional coverage up top, yet during the summer etc. I wouldn't want it. Of course the other option would be to have a 20" and a 22", but I don't think that's as optimal!

Hard to get side by side comparison because most of us have only bought one windshield. Madstadd would appear to be most bought here with many happy customers. For me the ability to adjust for optimum that works for me was key in decision. Also change position depending on conditions. Down with more air in hot weather, up with more protection in cold or wet weather.

Back