• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

FIRST GEAR 37.5 Kilimanjaro Jacket

melensdad

Reaction score
Visit site
I posted a thread about some Rev'it Tornado 2 pants and got a question about a jacket I own. Gave the short answer to this question on that thread.

How do you like that Kilimanjaro jacket? I'm thinking of getting one, my concern is it waterproof and warm enough for colder weather?

7Zj6D9IQUeeut6LfXC09A_zps97jdp0ls.jpg

So here is the full answer, with photos. Hope this helps.

The Kilimanjaro is a waterproof shell with a modest amount of venting. I've never worn it in a torrential downpour but its good in modest rain, which is the hardest rain I've worn it in. Zippers are YKK brand and several are their WaterProof style, some are only their WaterResistent type. The shell material is some sort of cacona (sp?) material that is similar to Gore-Tex. It is claimed to be breathable like Gore-Tex but is made by a different company. The "37.5" refers to the natural body temperature (98.6F for us Americans) and the claim is that the material helps the body maintain the proper temperature. Not sure how. I think that is just hype.

That said I really like the jacket a lot. Hanging with other gear, you can see it is NOT a HI-Viz jacket but the green patches do help it stand out a bit.
4055oJUjSPinxjQfFhZsLw_zps0itu0fm3.jpg

It is NOT insulated. You need to layer under it for warmth. If it is breathable it is about the same as the real Gore-Tex branded stuff that I own, which I don't find particularly breathable. I have other brands that claim breathability and don't find those particularly breathable either. If you are comfortable in Gore-Tex on a hot sunny day then you will probably be comfortable in this ... if you sweat in Gore-Tex on a hot sunny day then you will sweat in this. I sweat in this jacket on hot sunny days if I don't have airflow going through the vents.

I have worn this from 50 degrees (F) up to the mid-80's (F). It is comfortable up to about 80, if and only if, you are moving. Get stopped and you will start to bake if it is sunny and humid. This jacket is best below 75(F) degrees. At 50(F) wearing a merino pull over and a sweater, with all the vents closed, I was comfortable. I wish it had a bit more venting for high humidity and really hot days.

The fabric is tough but still flexible and still soft enough to the touch to be comfortable. There are also stretch panels that help make it even more comfortable. There is claimed abrasion resistance that is similar to moderate grade Cordura. Fabric on the body is 420 denier and the impact areas are 620 denier. I hope to never test that out. I also hope to never test out the body armor. As for armor, it is D3O CE Level I armor at the elbows, shoulders and back. The back protector is D3O's upgraded T5 armor, which offers impact protection over a wider temperature range. It is apparently adjustable, but the jacket fits me like it was tailored for me. I own a size large, wear a 42L in a suit coat. In addition to the armor there are 2 chest "pads" that are only padding, not CE rated. I suppose they might protect from some rock impacts?

In addition to the impact protection and abrasion resistance there are some reflective pieces for night riding. Mine is the White/Black/Green style. Not quite HI-Viz, but it is fairly eye catching. They do offer a bright yellow HI-Viz jacket. I would have preferred that, but I got this from a dealer who was closing them out, he had 1 in my size and I got it at about 1/2 retail when I also bought some other gear.

The cuffs have 2 way zippers which are really nice for allowing some venting but still keeping the cuff in place. The shoulder vents are nice, flow some air, but the velcro that is used to hold them open could have been designed a bit better to allow more air flow. There are exterior 2 chest pocket, those are nice but would be better if they were mesh inside so they could do double duty as vents + pockets. Sadly they are not. Cuff pocket is nice for holding a garage door opener or I-Pass. Collar is nicely adjustable and comfortable. Rear vents are nice, flow plenty of air, but can't be zipped up/down while wearing the jacket.
KU3mB60RledKUxxXrM9mw_zps7axezfps.jpg

Waterproof zippers on the chest pockets. ... These chest pockets are lined with a wind resistant nylon so even if you open them on a hot day you will NOT get any real airflow. I honestly am thinking of taking this jacket to a seamstress and having her change the inside of the pocket material to mesh. If they were mesh the pockets would do "double duty" as both vents and pockets. Not a perfect solution but it would help on a hot and humid day.
wdjVBGoISg2Odp32IP0bdA_zpswslj27zf.jpg

Air vents at the shoulders with velcro tabs to keep them open. The velcro works, but could be better.
ZGeClwrR5iJedioVE5nTw_zpsoy9ygqia.jpg

Collar detail. It is secure, adjustable and comfortable.
fRaegNaGTxS2pb8pqeWSjA_zpste6ambo7.jpg

1 of the chest pads, located behind the chest pockets, using D3O material. It is not CE rated.
nWUerNgkRNy08EBsMWww1Q_zpswxunjtsg.jpg

Right size internal zipper pocket above a lower pocket that has a velcro top closure.
AQqyRlMUQ9qaRJ1MitZLQ_zpsx9qsnhto.jpg

Back armor.
b4FwDLhaQca1rN90pcfCZg_zpsuy3gcsj3.jpg

Left size internal pockets. There is a dedicated phone pocket and a grommet for running heated gear.
hfes7DLtQsiXWF2ySpQ_zpsc2u6lfit.jpg

Zippered hand warmer pockets on the outside, there are also torso adjusters on the side of the jacket.
dzF46bwSP4iLIEbQ0z1w_zpsgg5vlxdy.jpg

2 adjusters on the arm to keep it in place plus velcro at the cuff.
LVoKXFDR2yInRSvjDfMJQ_zps7ri3fdip.jpg

There is no zipper to connect the tail of the coat to your pants, however the tail of the coat is a bit longer than the front and there are shock cord cinches to adjust it.
AJge15GqT1i5ZB2OYn89lg_zpst6wqvrpb.jpg

2 zippered back vents that help flow a lot of air and work great in conjunction with the shoulder vents. These cannot be adjusted up or down while actually wearing the jacket (unless you are a hell of a lot more flexible than I am or have baboon length arms).
VmyHgYKQWCYLaUugjhMPw_zpsrgddg2i8.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, just a note, I also have a KLIM Apex Air that I use in the summer, that has a D3O brand CE Level 2 back panel that I removed and inserted into this FIRSTGEAR 37.5 Kilimanjaro jacket, which comes equipped with D3O's thinner CE Level 1 back protector. As I only wear 1 jacket at a time it is easy enough to move that back protector to the jacket I am wearing, it gives me Level 2 back protection whenever I ride.

I took the Level 1 D3O back protector and slipped it into my wife's FIRSTGEAR mesh jacket, which only came equipped with a 'back pad' so now she has a back pad + D3O CE Level 1 armor in her mesh jacket. She also has a FIRSTGEAR Monarch shell, that came equipped with D30 T5 armor, which I believe might be CE Level 2 (but may only be Level 1?)

Great review, melensdad.

I bought the Kiliminjaro jacket early this summer, and I would buy it again. I've ridden my NC with the Puig touring shield in some relatively hard rain several times, about an hour each time, and the jacket has stayed dry inside. As melensdad said, it doesn't come with a liner, but I prefer it that way. For cooler weather, I wear a very light down sweater/shirt underneath. The only thing I find annoying is that in cold weather riding (low 40's), even with the down sweater on underneath, the underside of my lower bicep feels cold, as if somehow the jacket material is thinner in that area. Don't know if it's just the way the wind blows up under the windscreen. For the money, I think this is a very good jacket.

I have the Kilimanjaro 37.5 jacket and pants, this is my second winter using them as my daily commuter gear, I love them!

With heat hear and a nice middle layer I try to commute daily if the temp isn't too much below freezing and the roads are dry.

Love First Gear!

Back