• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

findmespot.com vs spotwalla.com

sumo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was wondering about the differences between the SPOT tracking information as displayed by

vs

Peergum said:

both of whom are currently traveling across the US.

The one system is clearly better than the other and I noticed that they use different websites to display their tracks.

I googled to find out more and came across this concise explanation at Spot-spotwalla [Archive] - ST-Owners.com Forums in particular:

BakerBoy of ST-Owners.com said:
06-29-2013, 10:36 AM
The SPOT tracker sends GPS coords and basic messages at your command, and for those of us with the tracking option, the SPOT website (aka 'FindMeSpot.com', is specific to each SPOT ID) also shows the trail of GPS coordinates. In short, SpotWalla is a private site (not affiliated with SPOT) that someone has developed which you may use to display the same data, and which is much more configurable than SPOT's site. If you have a SPOT, you'll have a SPOT weblink managed through your SPOT account. As it is lacking, many of us have signed up for SpotWalla because SPOT's site eliminates your data/track after 2 weeks, and you can't configure the SPOT site otherwise.

For example, here is my SPOT site (I haven't ridden in over 2 weeks, so it is empty) : SPOT Shared Page Bj
And here is my SpotWalla site that receives (and retains) the same data stream as I ride: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=6778517bcb5e2494f

The biggest thing for me is that Spotwalla will save the data, where the official SPOT site only keeps it up for 7 days (I think). I have a SPOT I use on rides that are not commutes.

IO like spotwalla for longer rides, I think the official SPOT map is really meant more for "just that day or so of travel, just in case."

I've used Spot for multiple day rides. I use my GPS tracks from my Garmin for keeping records of my routes. I only use Spot for, "I need help right now, here is where I am and how I got here." and to be able to send "OK" messages through out the day so when Im out of cell coverage, loved ones know all is good. One message is "Starting/Stopping the Days ride" then I add a tinyurl of the link of the Spot shared page. That way, contacts know when I'm leaving and when I'm back at camp. The other message is used throughout the day "All OK...tinyurl". It has worked great for me thus far.

I use both. Give links to both sites to my friends. You can set up trip date ranges etc on spotwlla and preserve your data. Spotwalla much more versatile.

Back