• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Finding specs for a new front brake line

Olythom

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I added handlebar risers and am not comfortable with the routing of the front brake hose coming from the master cylinder. After the riser install, the hose just seems a little too tight when the bars are turned full-lock I would think that the right answer is a hose that is a couple inches longer than stock.

Aside from removing the stock hose and physically taking measurements (length, thread details, banjo fitting size, etc) is there any way to find the specs of the stock hose? I would like to have a hose built to match the original but with two inches in added length.

Any suggestions?
>Thom

A lot of the brake discs, brake cables, and brake line specifications are available on the websites of the after market suppliers.
Visit their site and check for measurements, or give them a call, and tell them you want to add 2" in extra length.

If you look at the brake hose, you will see that it goes through a rubber grommet or two (e.g. - where it is routed via the forks). The hose is usually lightly glued inside those grommets and if you break the glue seal - very easy - you can often get more free play in the brake hose.

If you look at the brake hose, you will see that it goes through a rubber grommet or two (e.g. - where it is routed via the forks). The hose is usually lightly glued inside those grommets and if you break the glue seal - very easy - you can often get more free play in the brake hose.

I agree that this is where it is bound, but I found the attachment on the NC to be very solidly bonded and immovable. I learned the hard way (buy buying a hose that didn't work) that a hose that is just an inch or two too long is almost impossible to route properly. The length has to be right. My new front ended up being 38 inches with Rox Risers and aftermarket FatBars. There is no assurance that yours will also need a 38 inch hose. The best approach I have found is to position in a 12 or 14 gauge solid electrical wire along the path you want the hose to take. A stranded wire or string is too floppy. Once you have it laid it in and routed it as you intend to route the hose; remove, straighten, and measure it. Be sure to accommodate the length of any fittings at either end so that you are correct from eyelet to eyelet.

Last edited:
I also found that brake line bond very solid & immovable on mine.

Good luck Thom. Maybe give Dale at Southbound Honda a call? Maybe he can help with your question.

Thanks guys. I did get my hose 'out' of the grommet but it still seems too tight at full lock. I like the idea of routing some copper wire to gauge a new length. I will try that tonight. I will bet that it turns out to be 2" longer than stock (I installed 2" risers).

Part of the initial question was about the dimensions of the banjo fitting and the threaded (fixed) end. Are those fittings standard in the industry?

Calling Dale into the fray seems very logical. ;-)
>T

Thanks guys. I did get my hose 'out' of the grommet but it still seems too tight at full lock. I like the idea of routing some copper wire to gauge a new length. I will try that tonight. I will bet that it turns out to be 2" longer than stock (I installed 2" risers).

Part of the initial question was about the dimensions of the banjo fitting and the threaded (fixed) end. Are those fittings standard in the industry?

Calling Dale into the fray seems very logical. ;-)
>T

Lots of aftermarket hoses have threaded banjo adapters. The hose lengths are to the ends of the threads of the adapters. By time you add two banjo fittings you can end up longer than you thought. Don't ask me how I know of this particular method of screwing it up.

00goodridge.jpg

[...Part of the initial question was about the dimensions of the banjo fitting and the threaded (fixed) end. Are those fittings standard in the industry?..]

The banjo fitting is fairly standard but the fixed end is unique to Honda. I ran into that when I asked Spiegler (a motorcycle hose maker) if they had anything similar to create a longer hose. And I took with me an original hose so they could see the fixed end. Their answer was "No."

Last edited:
[...Part of the initial question was about the dimensions of the banjo fitting and the threaded (fixed) end. Are those fittings standard in the industry?..]

The banjo fitting is fairly standard but the fixed end is unique to Honda. I ran into that when I asked Spiegler (a motorcycle hose maker) if they had anything similar to create a longer hose. And I took with me an original hose so they could see the fixed end. Their answer was "No."

You mean the anti rotation nub? Personally I wouldn't worry about that, as almost all of my older bikes never had those, and I made braided lines for all of them with never a problem. Just me, though.

I like the Spiegler fittings, as they have a swivel banjo end type of deal.

I ended up with 15 degree 10mm banjos on both ends, but I traded the stock caliper for an ABS caliper. Don't know if it matters, but YMMV.

Back