• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Finally!!! Zero Wind Noise Windscreen / Spoiler Blade Solution

That describes the airflow behind my 20" Madstad on the NC. I ride most of the time with my face shield open.....

yup

The secret is getting adjusted properly. It took me a few rides to get it sorted. Making adjustments each time. A little trial and error and its like magic.

The problem with my Madstad setup is noise. Air from under the screen hits my neck and creates noise in the helmet. Turbulent air from above the screen is hitting top of helmet and creating booming noise.

I've taken to pulling the top of my Honda Touring screen back and down toward me with a string, so that I get full airflow to my whole helmet but still get some body protection. Doing this makes noise from air hitting my neck as you describe. I can kill this noise by putting my hand, or just a couple fingers, across the underside of the chin bar. Makes me wonder whether a Windjammer would be the solution for that noise? Full airflow to the helmet is _definitely_ the solution to the booming.

^^^^^^^^^ I did a similar thing with the Honda touring screen. I bought two, cut one down ( tuned the height) for noise and good clean air flow for hot weather. Second screen full height witha small deflector for cold weather.

My biggest concern with a set up like this (any "full coverage" screen) would be riding in hot weather.
When it is really hot I swap out the windscreen with a lower one. I also run the shorter windscreen when not doing lots of long distance highway riding. Second screen cost was minimal. In this picture I've pulled the panniers off and the aux tank and bolted up the shorty screen. Entire process takes about five minutes. Usually takes me longer to find the wrench for the nuts on the passenger seat and the hex wrench for the four windscreen bolts ;-)

The dark screen is 14 or 16 inches high forgot which, the clear is 20 inches. The shorter screen flows a lot more air (obviously).

IMG_2770-XL.jpg

When it is really hot I swap out the windscreen with a lower one. I also run the shorter windscreen when not doing lots of long distance highway riding. Second screen cost was minimal. In this picture I've pulled the panniers off and the aux tank and bolted up the shorty screen. Entire process takes about five minutes. Usually takes me longer to find the wrench for the nuts on the passenger seat and the hex wrench for the four windscreen bolts ;-)

The dark screen is 14 or 16 inches high forgot which, the clear is 20 inches. The shorter screen flows a lot more air (obviously).

IMG_2770-XL.jpg
Is it KTM? ). Looks nice actually. What aux lights are those? Tnx.

I wish somebody would develop a quick latch system to allow quick changes of windshields without a lot of hoopla.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish somebody would develop a quick latch system to allow quick changes of windshields without a lot of hoopla.

Harley Davidson did it. But they come with a pretty expensive motorcycle :p

IMG_2770-XL.jpg
How is the buffeting with that shorter windscreen? I really like the looks of it. I would like something a few inches taller than stock, but nothing tall enough to "hide behind" or that would create any helmet buffeting.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I did a bit of experimenting last year with a setup like this. I went from the Madstad to the Vstream, and tried adding the variable adjustable deflector to it, but it is just too tall and in my way. I do not want anything in my line of sight and have not really found a position out of my line of sight that made it any better. I found that the wind flows change dramatically if I am slid back in the seat or forward on the seat, if I am slumped down slouching or sitting more upright. I think it explains a lot why some people find some combos to work so well for them and the same combo's don't work well for others.

I still have that Vstream combo on the bike and the moment, but I have the variable adjustable wing all the way down trying to keep it out of my line of sight. The wind off of the Vstream is much dirtier for me than the Madstad was, but I like the quality and construction of the Vstream windshield and I no longer have any bar contact issues with the windshield with the Vstream where I had that issue with the Madstad even with risers added to the bike. I saw that I think it was Dave that recommended a different type of riser here on the forum to address the bar contact issue. So I bought one of those and will probably try to get some time to play with the other riser he recommended and then possibly try the Madstad again to see if it fixed my bar contact issues with the windscreen. I suspect it will not help due to the position that I desire the windscreen in for the best coverage seems to put the windshield in the worst possible place for the bar contact issue, but I will give it a try and see what happens.

Some suggested the mirrors were part of the turbulent air and noise equation and I tried adjusting them to diff positions to see how much of an effect that had, but I didn't notice much change. I guess I should have tried removing them completely and going for a quick spin to see how much that changed the wind. Maybe I will try that. Some have gotten good results by changing the mirrors, adding extensions or going to bar end mirrors.

Some suggested that helmets play a role here. So I tried a couple different helmets and then tried a short ride without the helmet and I can say the ride without the helmet you can feel the turbulent air, but not like with the helmet on so the helmet is adding to this problem. The helmet feels to me like it is amplifying that effect. So I can see that diff helmets could help some, but I think the bigger issue is finding a way to get that pocket of clean/er air moving around you first and a better helmet will just be icing on the cake.

In my attempt to provide wind protection on this bike I think I created more problems than were there without a windscreen at all. However I do like the benefits of the windscreen so I will keep working on a solution that works for me on this bike. The Madstad has given me the best results with the turbulence once I got it adjusted to the right position and height for me, but then I had bar contact issue that was driving me crazy. Even when I had the Madstad dialed in for me it wasn't amazing or great, it was just much better than it was, but so far that has been better than it was stock, and better than it is with the Vstream for me. I can move around into different positions behind the Vstream and make it better, but then I find I am in a riding position that is not where I feel the most comfortable on the bike. So it is a world of compromises. Of course your height, body proportions, weight, riding position, and riding style may give you completely different results. So if you see someone saying they found a combo that works for them I would ask them the questions about body proportions, seating position, and riding style to see how closely they mimic your own situation. That might give you a better idea if it is going to work for you also. YMMV

Good luck finding a combo that works best for you. :)

I am like you in that I don't want anything at all in my line of sight. With the stock screen, I can slump and tilt my head down and notice nowhere near as much air enters my chin vent bc of where the wind hits coming over top the oem screen. Raise up a bit, air goes straight in chin vent. I was thinking a screen a few inches taller would help deflect bugs a bit instead of quickly covering my helmet shield, but if it creates wind problems that will be much worse than a few bug splats.

Turbulence usually stems from air above and below, a taller windshield disrupts the way the air below and above it flows together. This is a big deal in the cruiser world with anything that has large full windshields or full fairings. My best bet may be to stick with stock, but I would like to try something a little taller, although I feel it might end up being a waste of money and I'd just revert back to stock. Lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The Madstad gives the that ability to raise it, lower it, increase or decrease the angle and that does help dial in a better air flow for your specific needs. I know there is another bracket out there that you can use with a shield like the Vstream that will also allow you to make those adjustments. This does help a lot, but like you mentioned there is more going on. I would try some of the freebies like removing the mirrors and see what happens. Experimentation is the key. I think it has been suggested it would be great to have "loaner" windshields to send around and allow people to try. Not sure how that could be setup so people could do that, but it would be nice. Wish the same thing existed for motorcycle seats! LOL

5'7 30" inseam here.

I, too, has the MRA X-Creen spoiler (sports, I think) on the Tall Honda Touring screen and it has been great for the past several years. I tried clip-on first but found the X-Creen to be a little bit too wide for the honda touring screen. It's not as secure as I'd like. Plus it leaves too big of a gap and let in a bit too much air thru which creates some weird baffling and noise for me.

The bolt-on install is obviously more involved but I like how it turned out a lot more. After messing with the angle of the X-Creen, I was able to re-direct the airflow right over the top of the helmet. The turbulence is cut down drastically but I still get enough wind noise to merit ear plugs.

To the OP, is that a photo of your screen? I think you said clamp on, and I know little about the product, but I don’t see any clamps. Which is which? Which type mount do you recommend?

My short and tall touring screen was a four screw swap..........maybe 2-3 minutes.

Back