• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Finally!!! Zero Wind Noise Windscreen / Spoiler Blade Solution

Honda

Reaction score
Visit site
Finally have the ultimate solution to block wind. I purchased a 22" Madstad and then clamped on a MRA X-Creen spoiler blade. Yes, you have to look through the x-creen spoiler blade but who cares. I have zero wind hitting my helmet going 75 mph. It's almost like I'm enjoying my bike again in a new way. I never was really able to listen to music because of the wind noise; now I have to turn the volume down to normal because it is virtually silent in the helmet. I always had to have my visor fully down on the interstate; now I can just put my helmet sun-shield flap down....which isn't necessary but for eye and sun protection. It has really been an amazing addition that has proven to solve such a chronic problem, one that I've been trying to solve for 3 yrs.

I know there are others who think they have to deal with the wind noise. You don't have to just "deal with it!". For awhile, I was like, well I may have to buy a new bike that is built to block wind, like a cruiser or something bulky and lower to the ground. Wrong, this solution, while a bit odd looking, makes my NC700 the absolute perfect bike now. Great on fuel, light, agile, convenient storage, great power, and NOW....finally, zero wind noise at any speed. You'll be hard pressed to come up with another bike with all of those attributes.

Regarding the 22" Madstad and the MRA X-Creen. They are the perfect solution because BOTH can be adjusted and tilted. You may be able to put the X-Creen on a big Puig or another big "base" windscreen, but you may not get the best results UNLESS you can tilt the "base" windscreen. I'm not sure because I've not tested other combinations. I'm not pushing either brands; I'm just thrilled to find this solution. It really has made me enjoy my bike so much more than I was already.
IMG_0080.jpg

Finally have the ultimate solution to block wind. I purchased a 22" Madstad and then clamped on a MRA X-Creen spoiler blade. Yes, you have to look through the x-creen spoiler blade but who cares. I have zero wind hitting my helmet going 75 mph. It's almost like I'm enjoying my bike again in a new way. I never was really able to listen to music because of the wind noise; now I have to turn the volume down to normal because it is virtually silent in the helmet. I always had to have my visor fully down on the interstate; now I can just put my helmet sun-shield flap down....which isn't necessary but for eye and sun protection. It has really been an amazing addition that has proven to solve such a chronic problem, one that I've been trying to solve for 3 yrs.

I know there are others who think they have to deal with the wind noise. You don't have to just "deal with it!". For awhile, I was like, well I may have to buy a new bike that is built to block wind, like a cruiser or something bulky and lower to the ground. Wrong, this solution, while a bit odd looking, makes my NC700 the absolute perfect bike now. Great on fuel, light, agile, convenient storage, great power, and NOW....finally, zero wind noise at any speed. You'll be hard pressed to come up with another bike with all of those attributes.

Regarding the 22" Madstad and the MRA X-Creen. They are the perfect solution because BOTH can be adjusted and tilted. You may be able to put the X-Creen on a big Puig or another big "base" windscreen, but you may not get the best results UNLESS you can tilt the "base" windscreen. I'm not sure because I've not tested other combinations. I'm not pushing either brands; I'm just thrilled to find this solution. It really has made me enjoy my bike so much more than I was already.
View attachment 38316
Glad it does function well for you but boy it looks ugly. Those oversized windshields just kill the look of the bikes. Earplugs and volume up works well for me and MRA screen with spoiler adds the best look you can find. ))

Thanks for posting. I was real close to trying that setup anyway, and now I’m sold. I think my Madstad is 20”. I have it mounted about 3 1/2 inches lower than Madstad would have it, in order to block the wind coming around the bottom. But now I get a little helmet buffeting up top, so the X-Creen is the solution.

I think it looks good. The more hardware and gadgets on the bike, the more serious, versatile, and capable the bike looks, at least with adventure styling.

Last edited:
Finally have the ultimate solution to block wind. I purchased a 22" Madstad and then clamped on a MRA X-Creen spoiler blade.
I have the same MRA X-Creen on my VStream 20". It made a world of difference. I would have probably sold the bike, that is how bad the noise and buffeting was. I love how easily it can be adjusted. Sometimes I'm looking over it and sometimes through it, all depending on speed, weather, etc. Pricey but worth it.
IMG_2516-XL.jpg

It looks like you both went with the bolt-on(?) why not the clip-on? I’m just a little leery of drilling my Madstad.

It would've been really helpful if everyone could list their body heights along with sizes of wind shields purchased :)

I was thinking the same thing. As much as I’m satisfied with my Madstad, I’m always open to someone improving a good thing. Was hoping to compare heights, weights, shields, etc, with my own to make the most informed decision I can.

I agree also about listing the body height. I was seeking a screen for my 16 Strom and lots of folks advocated the Givi Airflow which I know is an excellent screen on most bikes. However all the reports were from riders of 5'11" plus. I am only 5'8" so I was somewhat leery of making the commitment to purchase. That was the correct decision because I subsequently found that I would not have been able to see over the top of that screen easily.

I am now in the process of investigating a better screen for my X-Adv. Interestingly I am finding that the most turbulence is coming from underneath that screen and not over the top.

My biggest concern with a set up like this (any "full coverage" screen) would be riding in hot weather.

With a standard Madstat 18" I don't get enough airflow/wind hitting me to keep me cool when its 80 degrees, sunny and humid. In those temps I wear mesh Rev'it riding pants and a Klim Apex Air jacket with all the vents open/liners removed.

My biggest concern with a set up like this (any "full coverage" screen) would be riding in hot weather.

With a standard Madstat 18" I don't get enough airflow/wind hitting me to keep me cool when its 80 degrees, sunny and humid. In those temps I wear mesh Rev'it riding pants and a Klim Apex Air jacket with all the vents open/liners removed.

^^^THIS.

that kind of giant mass of wind blockage in front is going to bake a summertime rider.

^^^THIS.

that kind of giant mass of wind blockage in front is going to bake a summertime rider.

I'm actually considering switching to a full mesh jacket for hot/humid days like the Klim Induction or the Rev'it Airwave 2. The Klim Apex Air is nice because the mesh panels can be closed so it works well on cool mornings when the day will be heating up with the sun coming up. But on hot & humid days behind the 18" Madstad, especially if the sun is blazing down, I don't get enough airflow through a jacket that is roughly 40% mesh.

Don't misunderstand, I love the Madstad and highly recommend them to anyone who wants to pay for my free advice.

But I wonder if the helmet choice is more the culprit in the unbearable noise than the windshield? At 6' tall I don't get buffeted by the wind behind my Madstad unless I sit straight up with my butt slightly off the seat. I'm using an Arai Defiant Pro Shield helmet and, even with the vents open, is shockingly quiet compared to some other helmets I've tried.

The problem with my Madstad setup is noise. Air from under the screen hits my neck and creates noise in the helmet. Turbulent air from above the screen is hitting top of helmet and creating booming noise. I get plenty of air flow. I guess I should have bought a taller Madstad, but I went with their recommendation. I think mine is a 20 inch, but I made the mistake of getting the sportier looking screen than has less coverage on the lower outsides. BTW, I’m 5’8”.

I wonder if the helmet choice is more the culprit in the unbearable noise than the windshield? At 6' tall I don't get buffeted by the wind behind my Madstad unless I sit straight up with my butt slightly off the seat. I'm using an Arai Defiant Pro Shield helmet and, even with the vents open, is shockingly quiet compared to some other helmets I've tried.

^^^This^^^

I’m 6’ with a 32” inseam. I installed a CalSci medium when I bought my 2015 based on CalSci’s recommendation. It works great.

But the real improvement in wind noise came from my Schuberth C3 Pro. I can ride with the stock sport screen (head in the wind) and the same or possibly less wind noise than with the CalSci installed. The helmet is rated at 85db and it is very quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Just take the Goldwing. Smooth, quiet, ride with your face shield open.
That describes the airflow behind my 20" Madstad on the NC. I ride most of the time with my face shield open. In the summer I remove the winglets and Barkbuster guards. I get more airflow around my lower torso this way but it doesn't seem to affect the breeze wafting across my face. My Madstad is 20", I'm 5'6", Madstand mounted in the original holes and slid down all the way on height adjustment.

I wonder if yours would be quieter if mounted higher. Mounting it too low chokes off air under the shield. The Madstad depends on laminar flow off the front of the shield and it needs lots of flow up the back side to reattach to the air streaming off the top and top corners. Mine is a 3rd generation system that did not come with the aluminum base plate so I fabricated a short flyscreen above the headlight to protect the back of the instrument pod and smooth the flow of air coming up under the lower edge.

That describes the airflow behind my 20" Madstad on the NC. I ride most of the time with my face shield open. In the summer I remove the winglets and Barkbuster guards. I get more airflow around my lower torso this way but it doesn't seem to affect the breeze wafting across my face. My Madstad is 20", I'm 5'6", Madstand mounted in the original holes and slid down all the way on height adjustment.

I wonder if yours would be quieter if mounted higher. Mounting it too low chokes off air under the shield. The Madstad depends on laminar flow off the front of the shield and it needs lots of flow up the back side to reattach to the air streaming off the top and top corners. Mine is a 3rd generation system that did not come with the aluminum base plate so I fabricated a short flyscreen above the headlight to protect the back of the instrument pod and smooth the flow of air coming up under the lower edge.

I will try raising the Madstad high, but that means I'll be looking through it.

I also wonder if the problem of air coming through below the screen is aggravated by the large handguards I have.

Lastly, mine in Madstad version 1.0. You have the later open frame mount design. I wonder if the air flow is different because of that.

In response to some comments.
1. Yes, it's not sexy. But the NC700 isn't a sexy bike. It's a utility bike - it's a bike of function. It's not quite a panty-dropper, but yes, I understand the screens are not aesthetically appealing. Having said that, I had a gal on the bike last weekend who loved the fact that she wasn't getting nailed by wind in the face.
2. I'm 6ft. 32" inseam
3. I understand some folks liking the wind in hot weather. I get it. But I do cross-country rides every year and am absolutely willing to tolerate some heat in order to not have a migraine from wind noise. I'm on the bike 15hrs per day really racking up some miles, so I'm very content sweating a bit in an effort to save my eardrums. I also love jamming out and it is impossible to listen to music without really jacking up the volume with the default setup.
4. Looking through a windshield. A non-factor for me. But I understand how some folks may have issue with it. You get used to it.

I will try raising the Madstad high, but that means I'll be looking through it.

I also wonder if the problem of air coming through below the screen is aggravated by the large handguards I have.

Lastly, mine in Madstad version 1.0. You have the later open frame mount design. I wonder if the air flow is different because of that.
I look over the top of mine. I think mine is mounted with the top edge about at the level of my chin. Mine was a prototype of the open frame no-base plate design and is pictured on the Madstad web site, I'm the guy in the blue T-shirt.

For reference, on my bike the top edge of the shield is 12.5" measured from the top edge of the instrument pod and the bottom edge is 13" from the lower edge of the "beak". A few months after that picture I trimmed about 1" off each of the lower corner extensions to clear the Barkbuster frames.

I have a MadStad 20" that i picked up used from a guy here on the site just to try one. i will be getting rid of it here soon in lieu for a larger one(just sold it June 2nd). It works ok in the top most position. But at 6'6", 230lbs and 36" insteam i need a larger screen. Although it is certainly tolerable, the wind noise is amazingly loud, even with ear plugs.

I'm seriously thinking of getting one of the Parabellum lightly tinted screens. Charley makes some really nice screens for a lot of bikes. He has some impressive MPG contest wins over the years with his screens. :{)

Motorcycle Windshields for BMW, Aprilia, Buell, Ducati, Honda, Kawasaki, Moto Guzzi, Suzuki, Triumph and Yamaha

Last edited:
Back