• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Extra onboard storage

I live on the Gulf Coast. I have a big problem with Condensation. It generally occurs in the atmosphere when warm air rises, cools and looses its capacity to hold water vapor. As a result, excess water vapor condenses to form cloud droplets in my tool tubes... Everything stays wet inside my tool tubes, and yes I do have small holes drilled. However, nothing seems to work. Also, sometimes when in the dirt and rocks by tool tubes implode.

What about using some sort of Silica like packet in the tube? If it works for Jerky.....

I live on the Gulf Coast. I have a big problem with Condensation. It generally occurs in the atmosphere when warm air rises, cools and looses its capacity to hold water vapor. As a result, excess water vapor condenses to form cloud droplets in my tool tubes... Everything stays wet inside my tool tubes, and yes I do have small holes drilled. However, nothing seems to work. Also, sometimes when in the dirt and rocks by tool tubes implode.

For condensation I would guess the best fix would be venting them... small holes at the bottom would let water drain after it's condensed from the air, but a hole at the top and a hole at the bottom (top hole appropriately positioned or with a rubber L tube type thing to keep falling water from getting in) would allow the warm air to escape from the top of the tube before water starts condensing out of the air...

Whole in the bottom is just used to pull in fresh cooler, drier air as the hot air escapes from the top of the tube...
This is what I've seen on automotive light fixtures. to prevent condensation from building up inside say the headlights of a car.

As for the dirt and rocks destroying your tubes, maybe you just need to learn to play nice with your toys... (or keep playing rough and the rest of us can continue to learn just how much abuse things can take before they break...)

Also for keeping them closed, this guy, sells a locking version, looks like it's little more than a pop rivot and a D ring that can have a pad lock hooked to another d ring bolted to a mounting point... a mini carabiner could be used if you are only worried about keeping the lid on. Or they have straps to keep the lid on listed on their web page too (though something could easily be created out of paracord and a correct sized drill bit... waterproofing a mild problem at that point)

Plan to get a pair of tubes myself before too long (maybe over the winter) one side will lock and it will hold my tool kit, the other side will not lock, and be used for a first aid kit (don't want to be denied access to a first aid kit when I really need one because the keys aren't accessible, willing to take a risk on security in exchange for accessibility)
I'd really like to get a 3rd smaller one sized for the spray can of chain lube... but I haven't found anything that seems to fit the bill for that size (all either to big, or too small).

A different route

I thought about the tool tube route, but went with these holsters. The fuel bottles are not lockable or hidden from view this way, but didn't want rigid mounted luggage or fuel bottles. I use two bottles for fuel and two carry water.

20151023_152523.jpg20151023_152511.jpg

[...I have heard of one or two instances where those document tubes have stress fractured at the molded points, where the right angle extrusions meet the tube itself...]

I would think the two factors that could speed the potential for cracking are: 1) riding on dirt, and 2) having the tubes heavily loaded. These tubes are originally intended to secure operator's manuals and paperwork in the cab of a farm tractor so were never intended to carry metal tools.

The rear flange mount on the tube isn't bad but the front mount (closest to the cap) is cantilevered quite a bit.

I get my small tubes from Agri Supply, and I get my long tubes from Harbor Freight. Have to paint the orange long tubes black. Don't put tools in the tubes as they rust in the tubes. Put tools in frunk.

Put Dupont chain lube in one small tube, and pull ties, rust-o-leum painted oil filter wrench, and electric tape in the other small tube. Water gets into both the smaller tubes at all times.

Put first aid kit inside a zipp lock bag in one longer welding rod tube from Harbor Freight, and long pull ties and rags in the other long tube.

All tubes have condensation problems, even in the zipp lock bags.

Yes, all tubes do have O-rings, but still always water in them no matter how tight I tighten the screw tops. I have already tried silicone in the drain holes, does not help. I just put things in tubes that can get wet. I have exploded all the tubes at impact when in the dirt at one time or another, and keep extra tubes at the house at all times.

The tubes do not effect the handling preformance of the motorcycle in anyway or form.

i have 2 mega lock tool tubes and 1 motolock tool tube from 'thetooltube' dot com and thankful i spent the 30 bucks to get the kit with lock, etc because i have stuff stolen often so locking my spare gas and tools is a must. I had/have givi sidecase racks to mount them. I had them on a vstrom prior for two years and never experienced cracks, condensation, or accidental opening.

The mega had room for the gas, tiger grip rubber gloves, shop towels, 2 plastic bags, tie wraps and the lock can be moved out of view as well

I picked up two of the tubes from agri supply today. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on mounting. I have GIVI cases and racks.

I picked up two of the tubes from agri supply today. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on mounting. I have GIVI cases and racks.

Here at this thread I started last year:

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/9624-msr-fuel-bottle-funnel.html?highlight=tool+tubes

In the first picture, on the right side you can see an insulated steel clip that Dave used to mount the forward end of the tube to the rack. I've been thinking of getting some stainless steel tie wraps as a back up to the nylon ones that hold the tubes on on my bike.

Last edited:
Back