• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Extended Warranty or No Extended Warranty, that is the question.

Forty Two

Reaction score
Visit site
I took the plunge. Put down a deposit on a new 2020 NC750x DCT. Just waiting for the SW-Motech crash bars to come in to the dealer so he can install before pick up. Got a good deal on the bike and excited that I will finally have her.

Now the big question. Do I go with the extended warranty? $898 Canadian for 5 years. About $650 US. The sales rep is not being pushy about the extended warranty. Having mechanics in the family, most minor issues can be fixed easily. It is the big issues such as the tranny that worry me as those are not something family mechanics can fix.

Thoughts?

The last sentence made me chuckle. We have had stories told here where some dealers almost can't fix the dual clutch tranny, but with the collective knowledge in this forum we usually figure out what's wrong right here.

With the typical reliability of a Honda motorcycle, an extended warranty is unlikely to pay off in favor of the buyer.

Last edited:
It is a Honda...dont need the extended warranty and hopefully if anything is needed, it will be within the first year... when I bought my new car almost 5 years ago (Prius C) I bought the extended warranty and kick myself everyday...never used it, didnt need to use it, and the car would have been paid off by now if I hadnt bought the warranty...bought it for peace of mind though....the Hybrids are basically computers on wheels...

My 2012 with the standard transmission was one of the early ones in the US (s/n 57). Had I bought the DCT at that time, I’d have wanted the Honda Care service contract simply because it was a brand-new-to-the-USA model with an uncommon transmission system. I toyed with the idea of buying it anyway simply because the model was new here. In the end I did not, and I haven’t had anything come up that would have made it worthwhile to have from a money point of view.

You’re dealing with a not-new-to-the-market model, and a transmission that has proven to generally be very reliable in this model. If I were in your place, I’d evaluate whether the uncertainty was causing me stress, and if so, whether spending several hundred dollars would allow me to let go of that stress. If it would, I’d buy. If it wouldn’t, I wouldn’t.

In terms of the machine itself, any individual bike _MIGHT_ benefit from that service contract, but the overwhelming majority will not.

Your choice.

My bike has never had anything go wrong that would be covered by warranty.

Buy the Honda Common Service Manual and NC700X specific manual. I think they're both Haynes prints. Put that $800 into farkles instead. You'll come out way ahead

I bought the extended warranty on my 2015 DCT when I bought it new in August 2015, mainly because I was uncertain about the DCT. It was a total waste of money -- I've had zero issues with the bike in 30,000 miles. Agree with the posts about buying the Service Manual, some metric and JIS tools, and use this forum. There's little you can't do on the bike yourself with very modest mechanical skills.

After purchasing my 2018 (pre-owned) NCX with 851 miles on it, I also declined the warranty even though it had none remaining. I test rode the bike and everything seemed fine and it still is after putting on 1000+ miles. As Columbo would say--just one more thing! The dealer said they "serviced" it after taking it on trade and changed the oil, and tacked on $238 to the price for that service, which was negotiated away successfully. I seriously doubt the bike ever saw the shop as the chain was too tight and tire pressures way off--so why would I believe they changed the oil. Runs fine and I plan to change the oil myself just to be sure--shoulda done it when I got it. Picked up several Hi-Flo 204 filters and some Actevo 10/30 at our local shop. Great bikes--I like it more every time I ride it.

After purchasing my 2018 (pre-owned) NCX with 851 miles on it, I also declined the warranty even though it had none remaining. I test rode the bike and everything seemed fine and it still is after putting on 1000+ miles. As Columbo would say--just one more thing! The dealer said they "serviced" it after taking it on trade and changed the oil, and tacked on $238 to the price for that service, which was negotiated away successfully. I seriously doubt the bike ever saw the shop as the chain was too tight and tire pressures way off--so why would I believe they changed the oil. Runs fine and I plan to change the oil myself just to be sure--shoulda done it when I got it. Picked up several Hi-Flo 204 filters and some Actevo 10/30 at our local shop. Great bikes--I like it more every time I ride it.
That the chain was too tight and the tire pressures way off is probably an indication that the bike DID see the shop.

And to further the discussion on extended warranties, I think one should consider whether they even want to have someone other than themselves servicing the motorcycle. I would prefer to have control over the repair by doing it myself, rather than trusting it to a service shop.

As an example, I have an RV still within the standard warranty. I document problems and forward photos to the dealer. The dealer orders parts and hands them to me to install. There is no way this RV is going back to their shop for them to work on. Likewise with the motorcycle. I will gladly do warranty repair myself, even at my cost, rather than let the shop get their hands on it. I have allowed dealer warranty service in the past and in multiple cases it ended badly, with car, motorcycle, truck, and boat.

Last edited:
If it was me, I would wait. I believe you have until the factory warranty is about to expire to purchase it. It may be that you change your mind in a year and decide you want something else. That said, although the DCT is very reliable, given the complexity, I would buy the extended warranty before the original warranty expires.

most minor issues can be fixed easily. It is the big issues such as the tranny that worry me as those are not something family mechanics can fix.
Thoughts?
Totally understand your concerns. Mine were similar back in 2014 when I purchased my DCT and I opted for the extended factory warranty. My reasons were A: it was a new transmission design and B: I planned on putting on a LOT miles and the extended warranty had no mileage limitations. My last reason was that if I didn't like the bike, it would be much easier to sell, and most likely for a higher price if it still had a factory warranty for several years and unlimited mileage (they are fully transferable).

I was also coming off a GL1800 that I put 144,000 miles on that had a 7(!) year unlimited mileage factory warranty. I liked the feeling of security ;-)

I purchased the factory extended 4 year warranty a couple of months before the standard 1 year warranty expired. Bought it online for about $430 and for me, the $110/year was peanuts for the peace of mind, which is really what insurance is all about. Never gave the clanks, buzzes, knocks and banging sounds a second thought while riding and compared to the GL1800 there were plenty.

Did I ever use it? Nope ! Would I do it again? Yep!

Reactions: MZ5
Hi all, new here - bought a 17 nc750 dct last year and it had some extended warranty thrown in. I contacted honda canada online to enquire about the warranty and they told me to go to local dealer. Went to local dealer and they told me that I had to go to dealer who sold the warranty. This dealer is over 3 hrs. away, so needless to say I just gave up on something that I will likely never use anyhow. I think the warranty is almost up anyhow but I didn't like the run around. Great bike though - I also have a goldwing that never leaves the shed.

The Ext Warranty can be priced down. Never pay full price and NEVER finance it when you buy the bike. You shouldn't be paying high interest on a $400-600 warranty you can't even use for a full year.

You have the full year to decide if your bike will need it, due to recurring issues, so then shop around. And put it on a credit card that gives cash back or points.

I've never heard of having to take the bike back to the dealer where you bought the bike, if it was a new bike, for ext. warranty work.

There are car dealers around here offering up to 150,000 mile power train warranty's on used cars they sell and its at no cost to the buyer.
How can they do that?
Because the vast majority of cars have no trouble and can go 200,000 plus with just regular maintenance.
Same with bikes.

Back