• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Engine Warning Light

Danny

Reaction score
Visit site
Was travelling on my 2016 NC750 X, Manual , around 90km this morning and for the first time the Engine warning light turns on,park my bike at my work place shortly after that,tried to fire her up a few hours later and the engine warning light still there,I kept the bike stock,no mods at all except crash bars and rear box that's about it,any help will be much appreciated,Thanks in advance.

With the engine running, the fault light on, and the transmission in neutral, lower the side stand and observe if the malfunction indicator light flashes a two digit code via long and short flash sequences. Count the flashes, short and long. Number of short flashes is one digit, long flashes is the other. There is a pause, then it repeats. (I forgot which is first, short or long). Two digit code can be decoded by anyone here with a service manual.

Trying it now for a good few minutes with the engine running,side stand down,the light stays on,not blinking .

Trying it now for a good few minutes with the engine running,side stand down,the light stays on,not blinking .
Just to be clear, was lowering the side stand the last step of your process? If it is going to flash the code, it would do so immediately upon lowering the side stand.

Battery age and condition ? Battery cable connection clean and tight ?

NC like any modern vehicle do not like low battery voltage. So check that as the first DIY test. There’s another thread on clearing the code/check engine light. If it’s just the battery clearing the code……… That can be “tricky”………DIY version is multi step process that must followed exactly to be successful.

9633543F-91E0-4E01-AAB7-C62D89F033D9.jpegBB356238-E705-449C-8463-77EBFDA38CB8.jpeg08FC0128-85EE-4D7D-BD7A-CB00633021C6.jpeg

Last edited:
Just to be clear, was lowering the side stand the last step of your process? If it is going to flash the code, it would do so immediately upon lowering the side stand.
Yes,started the bike while on mainstand,then brought the down on its wheels and changed to side stand,and started monitoring.

The Service Manual only mentions one case if MIL stays ON, but if at the same time engine oil pressure indicator stays on.
What to do is described in section 22 - Serial Communication Line Inspection.
First, "check for loose or poor contact on the combination meter 16P (Gray) connector and ECM 33P connector".

Thanks for the info,will look into that ,you've also reminded me that another friends of mine,he's NC electrical power totally out when turning he's handle bar left/right,found out the issues after removing most of the front plastics,due to lose connector.

It's hard to believe in a loose connection because connectors usually have a protection against disconnection.
I think more often it can be corrosion on the contacts.
In such cases, the connector reseat often helps - unplug, spray with contact cleaner then plug it back.

There's been quite a lot of unexpected heavy rain plus I'm using my NC as a means of transport day in day out,probably it's about time to do a proper check like you've mentioned as well as grease some linkages , oil some parts as well after this rainy season.

I've had something similar happen to me twice now.
After 2 trips of 75 and 55 miles I stopped and when I restarted the bike (one time after a short break, the other to move to a better parking spot) the bike wouldn't go into gear and I had to hold down the starter button for a long time. I fiddled with switches, including the manual/ auto switch, and the bike started up like normal. But the Check Engine light stayed on. It went away when I started up the next day. Makes me wonder if it's time to trade in for a manual, but I really like DCT and ABS.
2018 NC750XDCT Model

... Makes me wonder if it's time to trade in for a manual, but I really like DCT and ABS.
It can happen regardless of the model.
It is only frustrating why the cause of MIL ON is not described in details in the Service Manual? It doesn't happen spontaneously by itself.

I've had something similar happen to me twice now.
After 2 trips of 75 and 55 miles I stopped and when I restarted the bike (one time after a short break, the other to move to a better parking spot) the bike wouldn't go into gear and I had to hold down the starter button for a long time. I fiddled with switches, including the manual/ auto switch, and the bike started up like normal. But the Check Engine light stayed on. It went away when I started up the next day. Makes me wonder if it's time to trade in for a manual, but I really like DCT and ABS.
2018 NC750XDCT Model

Apart from what you've experienced,I've also experienced last year upon installation of the crash bar,which slowly,cuts through my front brake hose,ended up replacing some after market steel braided hose.

I wonder, the wording seems to suggest the blinking will only happen if the "ECM/PCM detects the problem at present" which suggests to me that if the code is a historical one, and not currently active, there will be no blink.
Alot of the time, the logic is such that once a fault is discovered, the light persists until several clean drive cycles in a row. Is it possible that there's a stored historical code that wasn't found this particular drive cycle, and the ECM is configured only to blink for "current" codes?

Twice now, I've tried starting my bike after leaving it sit for ~1 week, and the engine turned over slowly and it took a lot more cranking before it started. The MIL light stays on. Both times, I've let the bike run for a few minutes, then shut it off, and then it restarted normally, and the MIL light goes out. I tried the "bike running in neutral, side stand down" trick to get the MIL light to blink, but it remained steady. Is this just due to my battery being in a weak state from sitting?

Twice now, I've tried starting my bike after leaving it sit for ~1 week, and the engine turned over slowly and it took a lot more cranking before it started. The MIL light stays on. Both times, I've let the bike run for a few minutes, then shut it off, and then it restarted normally, and the MIL light goes out. I tried the "bike running in neutral, side stand down" trick to get the MIL light to blink, but it remained steady. Is this just due to my battery being in a weak state from sitting?
I would say so.
Use a battery maintainer with the multiple steps for charging (desulfation, soft start, bulk charge, absorption, float charge, and pulse charge)
There are many brands of maintainers out there.
Everyone has a favourite; mine is CTEK.

Do you have any full time parasitic loads, like a USB charge port that is live 24/7? That can slowly drain the battery when the bike sits unused.

No, I've not added anything. The NC750X does have a built-in dashboard clock, so that probably has some draw....?
The clock is OK, and not responsible for draining the battery.

Can you measure the battery voltage after the bike sits for a week?

You may want to check for cleanliness and tightness of the cables attached to the battery terminals.

Back