• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Engine Vibration Starting at 3,000 RPM Typical?

GregT

Site Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Greetings All:

I am new to the forum; I purchased a 2013 NC700X a month ago. I'm really enjoying it. I have seen other forum threads/reviews that say the engine is incredibly smooth. My engine is smooth until about 3,000 RPM, and then it starts to vibrate noticeably, but not too much, above 3,000 RPM. Is this everyone else's experience, or should I have the engine looked at. Many thanks in advance for your thoughts. GregT.

I would never call the NC motors incredibly smooth, not even the 750 version with its extra balance shaft. They have vibe patches here and there but in my experience nothing that would trouble me.

NC engines vary in smoothness. They all have character; I never considered them super smooth.

I’ve ridden some that are smooth as silk and others that shook pretty bad. I don’t know what cause the variation. That includes the CTX and other bikes based on the same engine.

Thanks for your responses, gentlemen. Good to know the vibration is typical. I'll just go ahead and enjoy it.

Yes , go ahead and ride. My 700x smoothes out from 3,500 RPM and up. Not saying it vibrates teeth loose below 3,500 , mines just smoother at or above 3,500......other riders have different experiences. Ride on.

My Integra is smooth as butter (in two cylinder engine terms of course), it starts to vibrate at 5000 RPM, leting me know that the redline is near and I should shift up when I ride in manual. It is smoothest at 3000-4000 RPM where I'm at when cruising on highways, so just perfect. If you have crash bars, try to tighten the bolts, I've had bad vibration on my V-Strom, until I found one crash bar was not tightened enough, smooth thereafter.

My engine is smooth until about 3,000 RPM, and then it starts to vibrate noticeably, but not too much, above 3,000 RPM.

Hey Greg. I too have recently found a strange vibration/lugging in mine that only used to be very slight, and now it is very noticable. When i am in 6th gear on the highway and pulling down the rpm's below 3k, it seems to vibrate a lot almost like the inline twin is "lugging" badly between 2700-2900 rpms. When i am at a much slower speed and am around that 2700-2900 rpm spot, it is much less/faint but is still there. Below that rpm and above that rpm it seems to be fine/enjoyable. Just an observation i have made with mine. Now that i have changed my primary sprocket to a 17T, my rear sprocket to a 39T and went to a 150/70-17(slightly taller) rear tire it has brought my freeway rpm's down so much that i now need to down shift just to pull my local mountain passes. Small inconvenience compared to the increased mpg i get. :{)

Greetings All:

I am new to the forum; I purchased a 2013 NC700X a month ago. I'm really enjoying it. I have seen other forum threads/reviews that say the engine is incredibly smooth. My engine is smooth until about 3,000 RPM, and then it starts to vibrate noticeably, but not too much, above 3,000 RPM. Is this everyone else's experience, or should I have the engine looked at. Many thanks in advance for your thoughts. GregT.
The 3000rpm vibration is created by the clutch basket. On the gear side of the basket there are 6 damper springs around the circumference. These allow the gear to rotate slightly in relation to the actual basket. Much like the cush hub in the rear wheel. It appears to get a resonance at a certain frequency....3000rpm.
Ride your bike at 55mph in 6th gear. Then put some pressure on the clutch lever, but not enough to make the clutch slip. The engine will smooth right out.
1594148101968.png

Back