• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Engine vibrates at 4000 rpm

And again here,
Since I'm confessing about not riding at 4000 rpm's and using the excuse that I live 75 miles from an expressway. Even when I do drive or ride on an expressway I use the right lane and get about 200 yards back from a trucker going 60 t0 65 mph and just relax, kind of like being a half-back following that big ugly tackle through the line. I know some will say that not is how they drive in Florida or CA, but worked for me last month on a vacation to San Francisco.

Art

I'm right there with you, I specifically bought the NC for "old slow guy riding along at mellow speeds enjoying the scenery" lol. 4,000 rpm in 6th would be too fast for my calm, and I would be clapped in irons and face severe fines and tickets if caught anyway...

Which is why it's rather ironic, that my BMW, showed no peculiar specific quirk at exactly 3,000 rpm in 6th, which is where I could only put up with it's otherwise horrible manners!

It just had "normal" vibes (hideous) and engine thrashy noises, (also hideous) not a singular oddball peculiar noise/feel, in an otherwise sea of engine tranquility.

I'm right there with you, I specifically bought the NC for "old slow guy riding along at mellow speeds enjoying the scenery" lol. 4,000 rpm in 6th would be too fast for my calm, and I would be clapped in irons and face severe fines and tickets if caught anyway...

Which is why it's rather ironic, that my BMW, showed no peculiar specific quirk at exactly 3,000 rpm in 6th, which is where I could only put up with it's otherwise horrible manners!

It just had "normal" vibes (hideous) and engine thrashy noises, (also hideous) not a singular oddball peculiar noise/feel, in an otherwise sea of engine tranquility.

Then perhaps you should downshift and use 5th gear?
I am guilty also of trying to be in the top gear whenever possible, but sometimes I just leave it in 4th or 5th gear. I like that little extra torque there.
:D

I'm not sure if I'm seeing the same thing as LBS but I do get a bit of what seems to be harmonics at 4000 rpm. I've noticed on the interstate that at 70mph the images in the mirrors are crystal clear, but when I speed up to 75 mph (about 4000 rpm) those same images in the mirrors get blurry. I don't think I would have noticed the vibes if it weren't for looking in the mirrors, but it's definitely there on my bike. As the speed increases the mirrors start to clear up again around 80 mph, so that's why I'm thinking it is a harmonic. In my case the vibes are very minimal, and not really noticeable to me and even the mirror images are still viewable (just a little blurry). If I was bothered by it, I would probably start going over every major nut and bolt with a torque wrench just to see if something was a little loose, but unless it gets worse I'm just going to ignore it (or tell the police they clocked me at 85 because I was trying to avoid the vibes).

Bob

Then perhaps you should downshift and use 5th gear?
I am guilty also of trying to be in the top gear whenever possible, but sometimes I just leave it in 4th or 5th gear. I like that little extra torque there.
:D

That's definitely a valid point and possibility to choose from.:)

"...but unless it gets worse I'm just going to ignore it (or tell the police they clocked me at 85 because I was trying to avoid the vibes)."

Bob

"But Officer! LBS was saying on the NC700X Forum, that..."

*Spaceteach shakes fist in general Northern direction and mutters at LBS*

lol

My owner's manual says nothing about this. BTW, here the scheduled maintenance is double as often, that is every 6000 km. Guess they don't trust us, lol.

My Honda manuals have always had the recommended shift points, even back to my XR75 days, in the early 70's. What does your page 35 say? :D

That's very curious, my spanish owner's manual says nothing about shifting speeds:

Sin título.jpg

Are you looking in the actual paper manual that came with the bike, or just an online pdf type one? I have a pdf one from the 'net too, and it doesn't have the shift points either! Fascinating. :D

Just checked it. At least in this page my "paper" manual is exactly equal to the PDF version

I noticed a vibration on my nc today for the first time.I have put on almost 12000 kms and this is the first time I've noticed this.The vibration starts at just over 4000 rpm.It seems worst in first and second gear,but also does it if I rev it in neutral.The weather is colder here now about 10c,although the bike still did it after the engine warmed up.

I found this paragraph

The motor itself is quite smooth, except for a buzz that's apparent at 4500 rpm, blurring the mirrors. Shifting or adjusting speed easily avoids that, though it would be better if Honda simply eliminated the vibration at that often-used rpm. Interestingly, with the NC700XD automatic transmission, the motor doesn't settle at that rpm, so I suspect Honda is aware of that aspect of the NC's motor.

here :

2012 Honda NC700X & NC700XD | Review | Ultimate Motorcycling

so it's quite confirmed.

Checking in. I've had my 2012 manual for 300 miles now - the bike has 6,200. I note a heterodyne like "beat" of about one Hz around 3700-3900 in 6th, or 70-75 mph, at light throttle. I only feel it through the footpegs. The two modes of the beat are really smooth to slightly less smooth. If I speed the engine up a little it goes to constant slightly less smooth, which is really smooth feeling. almost gloriously smooth That must mean that the initial really smooth is ungodly (or is it godly?) smooth. So, my bike varies from ridiculously smooth to really smooth, but the small RPM range where it oscillates from one state to the other feels oddly very less smooth. Enough so I noticed and have dwelled on it. It doesn't bother me but it is a curiosity.

And just my observations here, not trying to rile anyone up - I also wondered if it's the pavement or the chain snatching on light throttle.

At 4,500 my engine is glass smooth, but not dead smooth like under 3700 but still really smooth. I notice no "buzz" anywhere. So I wouldn't characterize this motor as having a designed in "buzz". There are enough owner experiences posted with all different engine vibration behaviors that all you can say there is considerable variation in vibration. BTW, my Dakar had a buzz at 5,300 - 5,500 that put your teeth on edge. Every single shift it would ring, and you couldn't cruise in that range at all. You'd think something that bad would eventually destroy something but that bike is tough, going on 30,000 miles with the sadistic owner that bought it from me.

Last edited:
My chain has always had a buzz to it.after awhile I just don't hear it.I was told it is normal.3000 miles later still going.same with the clutch basket noise.earplugs are great.

I don't even notice the chain noise. Granted I have only ridden CBR's fopr years. Could have something to do with it. I also think the bike is pretty smooth. She doesn't vibrate that much in my opinion. I hear and feeling more noise/vibration through the front suspension than I do the engine.

So Mojave - just recap on your post - would you say your engine is smooth?

Yes. And like using a digital camera in a dark room the signal (a specific vibration)l to noise (all the other stuff) is low. I think with the overall smoothness I'm noticing subtle things I wouldn't on most bikes - like that beat. If it were a lot stronger I see how that could drive you nuts.

On the highway I'm always bothered by chain noise on my dualsports with no sprocket cover and sound reflective skidplates. I don't like it but what can you do?

The BMW oil heads (R1150GS, R1100S BCR) I've owned were shimmery messes compared to the NCX. Pockets of odd vibrations here and there in the RPM range. The air heads (R75/5 LWB and SWB (sweet bikes) and R80/forgettable) I've had seemed a lot more simple in their vibration spectrum.

I've also noticed very unusual vibration past 3000 rpm. I didn't do anything with the bike, exept fill up at the hess gas station with 89 fuel.past 4000 rpm (on neutral) vibration is so bad, all gauges became blurry, when you looking at them. cause of shaking. Could it be the gasoline?
Thank you!

These bikes are exceptionally smooth in comparison to other twins. If your vibration is that bad then I would have it straight back to the dealer without further delay. Vibes that bad are unheard of with the NC.

Back