• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Engine management warning indicator

The system is not that smart.

The fact the bank angle sensor was loose is not an error........the ECU “thinks” the bike is on its side so it kills the engine.
The bank angle sensor was not bad.......it was giving bad information because its was not attached to the bike.

One reasonable conclusion there’s was more than one problem occurring at the same time. We will never know as with many fixEE more than one item, device, component or connection was tested, moved or changed.

Another thought:
The power to the meter is not controlled by the ECU ........but.........the data stream is, so it’s possible the bank angle sensor killing the engine, kills the data stream or intermittent data error to the meter causing the communications code.
This sound plausible because it appears all power to the CM was not interrupted....I did not have to reset the clock.

The bank angle sensor has its specific DTC code (MIL blinks): 54-1, 54-2. This also doesn't explain why the combination meter went blank. The power supply to the combination meter is not controlled by the ECM / PCM.
You can lose confidence in the entire Honda DTC concept.
I have now acquired the comprehensive service manual and will try to understand the system better. At no stage have I got a 54-1 or 2 MIL so it appears the bank angle sensor did its job. I do not yet have full confidence in the bike yet in spite of about 50 kms riding so far. I do not know what caused the initial 86 error code or what caused the CM (all displayed info) to blink before eventually going blank along with the engine cut-out. I now know that the bank angle sensor along with the kill switch does not clear the CM display when activated. I might yet find the CM is faulty....but for now all appears fine.

The bank angle sensor works almost exactly the same as the engine stop switch.
Engine stop switch controls the power supply, among others, to the bank angle sensor that is connected to the BA contact of ECM.
The ECM monitors the signal on BA contact. If there is no signal, (the motorcycle is lying on its side), the ECM cuts the fuel supply.
The combination meter operation is not interrupted. (It is possible if it was damaged in an accident). It's easy to check - just turn on "kill switch" - all information on the combination switch is still visible.
The ignition switch controls the power supply to the combination meter.
You could be on track about the power to the CM via the ignition switch. When chatting to the workshop manager I recall him saying the HSSS /ignition switch is known to give problems too.

... they found the bank angle sensor was loose and "hanging" at an angle. One bolt was missing and the other loose...
Do you know the history of your motorcycle from the beginning? I could say that someone probably did something very ineptly. Maybe ask the same mechanics to check the most important connection contacts. Show them the wiring diagram and service manual. They will know where to look for the problems.

I do not know what caused the initial 86 error code

Had the error code 86 last year. It is an error that the combination meter (your "dashboard") is not plugged in properly. You can find my experience here:

and here

Do you know the history of your motorcycle from the beginning? I could say that someone probably did something very ineptly. Maybe ask the same mechanics to check the most important connection contacts. Show them the wiring diagram and service manual. They will know where to look for the problems.
I bought the bike in 2015 at 5000 kms.....now 37700 kms. No accident or repair history divulged or apparent except for slight paint discoloration on top of tappet cover, which could be brake fluid damage. The bike was immaculate, even parked on a carpet. Of course this could have been part of the presentation show.....one never knows. Other than the recent MIL / cut-out issue the bike has been faultless, a joy to ride and super economical. I am a "senior rider" nowadays having moved away from big 1100cc bikes a few years ago. The NC700X is very practical and ideal for work commuting....although I do miss the shaft drive of my previous BMW.

Most likely you yourself repaired the CM connection before you left your bike in the workshop. They, in addition, found a problem with the bank angle sensor so it looks like your problems are over.
Have a nice trip.

I found all of this very informative. My light popped on briefly awhile back. Battery recently failed. Replaced and moving on.

Reactions: MZ5
Hi all
The bank angle sensor appears to have been the cause for the engine cut-out, but the intermittent MIL communication error code 86 is still a question, although since the bank angle fix the MIL has not appeared. My suspicion has now moved to the ignition switch / HISS? A week ago, after a few days of faultless performance, I failed to start the engine after a long ride. I had parked the bike with the ignition steering lock engaged. Switching on the ignition to leave, everything was fine until I pressed the start switch......all display info faded away with no starter motor action....like having a battery with a dead cell. Turning the ignition key on and off a few times had no immediate effect but after about 10 minutes it came on. Not trusting the start switch I managed to push/bump start the engine and rode home with no further issues. I later removed and checked the battery & connections, finding all to be good. It has been over a week now and with no problems BUT I have not engaged the ignition steering lock when parking (I have a disc lock). Could there be an earth / wiring problem inside the ignition switch? I have also been told that the HISS can sometimes have an intermittent diode fault (somebody else's terminology). The service manual gives very little information about the ignition switch & HISS. Has anybody dismantled this unit and is it able to be stripped or is it a sealed unit? Does replacing the ignition switch include replacing the HISS and key and having it coded?
Compared to other bikes I have owned this ignition steering lock operation has always been more "difficult" to lock/unlock.
Could an intermittent fault in the ignition switch trigger the power / communication problem to the CM?
I would appreciate your advice & experience.

Sorry to say but you have to go back to the shop. Here in the US probably nobody knows anything about the HISS security system.

The center section of your description.......

Switching on the ignition to leave, everything was fine until I pressed the start switch......all display info faded away with no starter motor action....like having a battery with a dead cell. Turning the ignition key on and off a few times had no immediate effect but after about 10 minutes it came on. Not trusting the start switch I managed to push/bump start

...sounds a lot like a battery or battery connection problem. The forum has had dozens of battery and failing battery and intermittent battery reports.

The HISS system error would not cause what you describe. It would cause a crank, no start condition.

In your Service Manual you have the entire Section 23 devoted exclusively to the Immobilizer System (HISS). There you will find very specific information, registration and diagnostic procedures. HISS indicator on combination meter gives, similar to MIL, DTC code in the event of error detection.

Reactions: Des
Back