• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Engine Guards

Arkridia

Reaction score
Visit site
I have read a lot of posts and I know that I want to get engine guards as soon as I purchase my bike. The thing is I have read so many different points of view I am confused. One other thing, does anyone have them in grey I can only find black ones. I know I can paint them or have them powder coated but that is an additional expense? Another question I have is a skid plate necessary if you drive only on roads that are gravel, I have seen mixed feelings on that so would like to know by people that actually have kept it strictly on roads have found them useful? One more thing, I would like to know what other items should I buy to put on the bike as soon as I get it. I know I want to get hand guards but know if this is a must for the bike protection or if this is just for my own want. I want to protect the bike from as much damage as possible to my bike if I drop it. I have not dropped a bike since I started riding but seeing this is my first new bike, am I being to cautious and paranoid?

I had a slow speed fall. I wished I had the engine guards when it happened. I have also found them very helpful for the rare drop. The first drop is the hardest, gets easier after that :) I have never seen grey ones. I don't think you need a skid plate for what you are describing but a radiator guard may be a good investment.

I view hand guards primarily for protecting my hands from cold wind and from insect or flying rock impacts. The guards with a metal loop around the levers will protect your hands better and prevent breaking a clutch or brake lever in a fall. However if you drop hard enough to bend the handlebars, I think they’re going to bend whether you have hand guards or not.

Buying a skid plate for street only riding is a tossup. Before having a skid plate, my front wheel flipped up a loose piece of asphalt pavement in an old parking lot that put a dent in my oil filter. It did not puncture the filter. But that was a freak incident. For street only, I wouldn’t put a skid plate very high on the list. A fender extender, radiator guard, and some Triump fork leg protectors would come first, in my opinion.

Edit to add: For mild gravel riding, I’d put a skid plate at 50/50. It would sure help keep the oil pan in better shape, but that would be mainly cosmetic. It’s unlikely you’d severely damage anything on your average gravel road.

Last edited:
I haven’t seen grey engine guards but here is a photo of a red variety.

3D756009-7905-414F-AA7D-A7D5DCDE8624.jpg

I never thought of radiator guards thank you for the suggestion

In 20,000 miles of pavement riding on my NC, I've only had bugs stuck in the radiator, but no dings. My Yamaha FJ-09, on the other hand, with a couple of dinged fins in 2,000 miles of road riding. It might be because the FJ has a larger radiator, or the air flow is different. In any event, the FJ now has a guard.

I believe on another of your posts I mentioned a different style of crash bars. All the bars that I have seen are close in to the bike and if dropped the bike will lay completely on it's side. Right on top of your leg. I understand this type of guard if you are truly going off road. But the majority of us will not. I go on gravel roads with all my bikes. GW1800, ST1300, CBR 1100XX, and the NC700. I am more interested in my leg protection so I looked for bars that were the classic stand out from the bike. I found them on WeBike.com. They are black but you could paint them any color you want if you scuff up the smooth gloss black powder coat with very fine sandpaper or 3M scuff pad. They allow you to be able to pick the bike up a lot easier from a drop too. With barkbuster's and these bars you should be covered for a low speed drop. You can also put hwy pegs on them for an additional riding position. Aux lights would be easily mounted on them although that is back a little from the main headlight. Consider a seat upgrade. This will make a huge difference in comfort level. This is a Russell Day Long custom seat.
A skid plate doesn't hurt but it is more work to remove it for an oil change.
ab6593d6e6a39e8ae03c0584fe0d309c.jpg
5b6709572bf26bf18c630becb863cb5b.jpg
8a7d03364aa03a11fa69a7d2c6ba5f64.jpg
6baf69d6f22f8cd08dadcefb9feb63c2.jpg
65652f5f310ebac25ded69a48db5770e.jpg
5ab5b20bb60d881cfe5ff94563aa46e4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I ride plenty of gravel. I do ride actual off road occasionally on my place, but it is mostly pasture.

The radiator guard is more important than the skid plate unless you are jumping curbs or logs or something.
My radiator guard is mostly bugs, as was said, but there are two small round dents. I do not think they would have penetrated the radiator, but a guard is cheap and easy to install. The NC700 radiator is of some soft material.

My skid plate has some gravel marks too. Gravel is not going to bend or ding it. It does add substantial weight.

I like those engine guards. They might also give you a place for some highway pegs. Mine are the SW Motech and have worked fine. I have only dropped the bike once, which was on gravel.

These two videos are advertisement free and unmonetized.

Honda NC700x DCT Additions and modifications. Oklahoma Hank. - YouTube

Off road on my Honda NC 700x dct - YouTube

Last edited:
Do I need a skid plate on gravel?

"Another question I have is a skid platenecessary if you drive only on roads that are gravel"
Maybe it's just me, but I had SWMotech skidplate and had a low speed nap on gravel FS road
with this result: Mine was a DCT which needs extra protection on the clutch side, but you get the point.
The muffler is another vulnerable piece :(
testvid 010.jpgtestvid 008.jpg

Wiseguy do you have a link those guards or a part number. I couldn't find them.
Here you go. Search eBay too. Although the best price as of a couple of weeks ago was here.

KIJIMA : Engine Guard [405-231]

The u-bolts are stainless steel so you need to put anti seize or some lubricant on the nut or u-bolt when you tighten it otherwise it will Gall and you cannot take them off. I had this problem and I went to Fastenal and got some u-bolts that worked although I had to shorten them down with a hacksaw. You have to take the right u-bolt off when you adjust the valves every 16 thousand miles. Not a big deal.

Last edited:
Hope you fared better than your NC right hand slide DCTFAN.
I went down hard R/H side on my DCT but have Givi engine/bar end guards.
WVDOT covered the inside track on a 90 degree R/H turn 12 degree slope with reflective bead medium during line re-striping. Good move DOT.
Minor scrapes on both guards, aft weld before canister and forward end of DCT oil cover. I call them character marks. You have to look close to see them.

Thanks, not a scratch on me. Just looks bad on photo because it was a low speed nap
where the front wheel lost the race to the rear wheel :)
That fall also cracked one of the DCT pressure sensors due to the SWM plate bending,
disabling all odd gears including 1st. To my amazement, I could start riding in 2nd but not shift up or down.
I was able to hobble back to the rally campground from the forestry area.

PS. I cannot recommend SWM unless you just want the 'ADV look' ;)

Hope you fared better than your NC right hand slide DCTFAN.
I went down hard R/H side on my DCT but have Givi engine/bar end guards.
WVDOT covered the inside track on a 90 degree R/H turn 12 degree slope with reflective bead medium during line re-striping. Good move DOT.
Minor scrapes on both guards, aft weld before canister and forward end of DCT oil cover. I call them character marks. You have to look close to see them.

I believe on another of your posts I mentioned a different style of crash bars. All the bars that I have seen are close in to the bike and if dropped the bike will lay completely on it's side. Right on top of your leg. I understand this type of guard if you are truly going off road. But the majority of us will not. I go on gravel roads with all my bikes. GW1800, ST1300, CBR 1100XX, and the NC700. I am more interested in my leg protection so I looked for bars that were the classic stand out from the bike. I found them on WeBike.com. They are black but you could paint them any color you want if you scuff up the smooth gloss black powder coat with very fine sandpaper or 3M scuff pad. They allow you to be able to pick the bike up a lot easier from a drop too. With barkbuster's and these bars you should be covered for a low speed drop. You can also put hwy pegs on them for an additional riding position. Aux lights would be easily mounted on them although that is back a little from the main headlight. Consider a seat upgrade. This will make a huge difference in comfort level. This is a Russell Day Long custom seat.
A skid plate doesn't hurt but it is more work to remove it for an oil change.
ab6593d6e6a39e8ae03c0584fe0d309c.jpg
5b6709572bf26bf18c630becb863cb5b.jpg
8a7d03364aa03a11fa69a7d2c6ba5f64.jpg
6baf69d6f22f8cd08dadcefb9feb63c2.jpg
65652f5f310ebac25ded69a48db5770e.jpg
5ab5b20bb60d881cfe5ff94563aa46e4.jpg

What's the name of this crash bar? Greatly appreciate you respond.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Back