• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Emergency Frunk Cable made simple

itlives

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This will be a short thread that many people in here can use- hopefully. The problem of locking keys in the frink or the frunk lock not working has come up more than once. I said when I get the time, I would make an emergency cable with pics. This job is too easy NOT to do it.
The first pic shows the culprit. You can see where the problem area is. THe end of the cable doesn't sit properly in "hole". The tab of metal that is in the bent slot is the perfect place for a cable.

DSCN0642 (Medium).JPG

The cable I used is off an old VW. I believe it was a hood latch cable -not that that means anything to you. The point is, find a similar cable in the junk yard. They are very stiff but bends easily on the long run. A simple twist the needle nose pliers is all you need. Put a little extra grease in there if it makes you feel better.

DSCN0644 (Medium).JPG

Just run the cable the same direction as the "real" cable and split off and run it wherever you want. Once you are into the job, you'll see lots of places to direct it. Just make sure when you pull it it is pulling in same direction as the factory cable and not binding.
Sorry if the pictures are confusing to you. I promise, once you get in there, it will all be clear . As I said, it's too simple Not to do.

DSCN0645 (Medium).JPG

Now, a bonus- I learned on the Burgman site that you can clean your air filter a couple of times if you do it gently. This will save some bucks.
I soaked mine overnight in a solution of Purple Power (Mean Green works too) and water. Swish it around a few times periodically. The next morning, I take it out to the water hose and wash it off real good. Make sure you blow the water through from the clean side (opposite the way the air travels) so you don't force dirt into the filter.

DSCN0640 (Medium).JPG

After rinsing it REAL good, I put it out to dry if it's hot out. This time, I just put it in front of a fan. After it dries, re-install and ride. Another thing to do is go ahead and buy a replacement filter and alternate the two. That way, you pull one out and put the other one in and you are not having to wait for the dirty one to dry before you are riding!

DSCN0641 (Medium).JPG

Hope these help!

Dude, you rock! :cool: Awesome deal on the emergency cable mod! I will implement that on my next maintenance or farkle install opportunity! :D

BTW, I seem to recall in some hazy recess of my memory, mention long ago about Honda having to fix or replace or redesign something to do with a faulty cable latch mechanism on NCX's. It was just a brief little blurb that didn't seem to attract too much interest or follow up posts?

Dude, you rock! :cool: Awesome deal on the emergency cable mod! I will implement that on my next maintenance or farkle install opportunity! :D

BTW, I seem to recall in some hazy recess of my memory, mention long ago about Honda having to fix or replace or redesign something to do with a faulty cable latch mechanism on NCX's. It was just a brief little blurb that didn't seem to attract too much interest or follow up posts?

That first picture would be damaging proof in a court that something need to be done!

Neat emergency frunk release! Noticed in your first pic that the cable end had started to twist loose from its locating holes - looks like you made the proverbial "stitch in time that saves nine"!

Neat emergency frunk release! Noticed in your first pic that the cable end had started to twist loose from its locating holes - looks like you made the proverbial "stitch in time that saves nine"!

I'm thinking that that is the main problem when others say that it "broke". Everything else looked good.

I'm thinking that that is the main problem when others say that it "broke". Everything else looked good.

Yep, that's how it looked to me - I'm guessing you just need to squeeze the two sides of the lever closer together to stop the cable end wriggling out. When you've gone that far it's worth the few extra minutes to add a second cable release.

Thanks guys.
One other thing worth noting. It takes more "pull" when using the key. It seems going through the cable is binding it.
When I pull on the emergency cable the lock opens very easy.

This will be a short thread that many people in here can use- hopefully. The problem of locking keys in the frink or the frunk lock not working has come up more than once. I said when I get the time, I would make an emergency cable with pics. This job is too easy NOT to do it.
The first pic shows the culprit. You can see where the problem area is. THe end of the cable doesn't sit properly in "hole". The tab of metal that is in the bent slot is the perfect place for a cable.

View attachment 18888

Hope these help!

Was this area of the bike worked on prior to you getting the bike.........this is the bike that was a total loss.....right????
Maybe when it was repaired ??

This cable system is identical to system used in the car inner and outer door handles........the usual problem with the cars is the cable outer sheave slips out of the holder at the "green piece" location in the picture. Result is the same but cause is different than the cable turned in the link. I am not convinced the cable end twist is the real problem or concern.

The second release "cable" is a good "insurance policy"

The cable outer sheave slipping is fixed by zip tie securing the cable sheave to the bracket.
The common point When the car cables fail is when one or more parts of the door are frozen and the cable is pulled with excessive force. Even to the point of bending the metal support brackets.

Can the same be done with the fuel latch? On more than one occasion I was at the pump and it took me as much as 10 minutes to get the rear seat to pop up enough to clear the latch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Was this area of the bike worked on prior to you getting the bike.........this is the bike that was a total loss.....right????
Maybe when it was repaired ??

Just re-read this thread and noticed your question. Yes, this is the totalled bike. No, they didn't work on this area. All replaced damage was from the triple tree down.

Looking at the first picture that shows the cable end trying to twist out of its hole, did you consider taking a pair of pliers and try to squeeze the gap in that hole a bit tighter, to prevent the cable twist?
Just wondering if this would also have worked.
I DO like the idea though of an emergency cable just in case.

Looking at the first picture that shows the cable end trying to twist out of its hole, did you consider taking a pair of pliers and try to squeeze the gap in that hole a bit tighter, to prevent the cable twist?
Just wondering if this would also have worked.
I DO like the idea though of an emergency cable just in case.
Why yes, I did. :)

Thing is, it doesn't fit like it should in the first place. Boo! for Honda on this one.

I'm no stranger to prowling junk yards but today when I was in an auto parts store for something else I bought a new one for $7.00. I asked a clerk if they had any universal cables for a choke or throttle cable and they did. I bought one to make a set of emergency releases on my bike (frunk and rear seat release). One cable is 5 feet long - plenty of wire to do many latch releases. After I do mine I can send a couple pieces of wire to those of you that want some.

I'm no stranger to prowling junk yards but today when I was in an auto parts store for something else I bought a new one for $7.00. I asked a clerk if they had any universal cables for a choke or throttle cable and they did. I bought one to make a set of emergency releases on my bike (frunk and rear seat release). One cable is 5 feet long - plenty of wire to do many latch releases. After I do mine I can send a couple pieces of wire to those of you that want some.

When you look at the fuel latch, you'll see it will not be as easy as the frunk latch. It pulls from two different directions. I've been thinking about it for a while. I think it will take a pulley of some sort to get ONE cable to work. You could do it with two.

Have to look at again. Get it 's operation fresh in my mind.

When you look at the fuel latch, you'll see it will not be as easy as the frunk latch. It pulls from two different directions. I've been thinking about it for a while. I think it will take a pulley of some sort to get ONE cable to work. You could do it with two.

Have to look at again. Get it 's operation fresh in my mind.

I pondered on the fuel latch for a couple and didn't come up with anything except for using 2 cables. Then I rewarded my effort at innovation with a beer.

Back