• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Electric Bicycles

• Thread starter Deleted member 1183
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1183

Just starting this thread for folks who are into electric bicycles to opinionate or post photos etc etc.

For 25+ years I had more or less given up cycling (mostly mountainbiking) because of bad knees and various other reasons, but had always meant to get back to cycling. However old age and the associated decrepitude didn't help even after getting a new knee. There were too many steep hills where I live and I struggled to get going again. Then around april 2019 a friend stuck an ebike under my nose. It immediately made sense to me. In june 2019 I purchased my first Ebike, a hybrid touring style bike that could do some limited offroad as well as being primarily road oriented. Fitness soon followed and I found myself using less and less battery, and my trips were getting longer. Soon I had added a standard mountain bike and a full on E mountainbike. The standard bike is used for flat runs and short distances up to 20kms. In the intervening period twixt june 2019 and to date I have covered almost 7000kms on bicycles. The Wife got one also, and I attach some photos from recent cycles on greenways in the west of Ireland. The whole Ebike thing has been life changing for us tbh.

Hopefully there are others on here who can share their experiences likewise.

IMG-3594.jpg

IMG-3601.jpg

IMG-3602.jpg

IMG-3614.jpg

When I arrive at that point in my life I will certainly own one. I'm on a Trek DS right now, which has a similar terrain capability as yours. Very happy that you were able to find a solution to get you back into the sport! This is a premature question, but do you haul them anywhere? If it is on a rear rack, are there any issues? I ride about 60 miles a week.

When I arrive at that point in my life I will certainly own one. I'm on a Trek DS right now, which has a similar terrain capability as yours. Very happy that you were able to find a solution to get you back into the sport! This is a premature question, but do you haul them anywhere? If it is on a rear rack, are there any issues? I ride about 60 miles a week.

Yes, I do haul them. I got a Thule Ball hitch rack that takes two bikes. It was recommended for the weight level of the two bikes albeit that I remove the batteries while they are mounted on it. There have been no issues. The car used is my Wife's little Toyota Auris. The carrier itself is quite heavy but robust, and can fold away in the trunk when away from the car on a cycle.

Got out for a decent run yesterday with a mix of mostly offroad and some on. Came home with wet feet but it was one of those days thats good for the soul so it didn't matter.....

IMG_4234.JPG

IMG_4235.JPG

IMG_4237.JPG

Just starting this thread for folks who are into electric bicycles to opinionate or post photos etc etc.

For 25+ years I had more or less given up cycling (mostly mountainbiking) because of bad knees and various other reasons, but had always meant to get back to cycling. However old age and the associated decrepitude didn't help even after getting a new knee. There were too many steep hills where I live and I struggled to get going again. Then around april 2019 a friend stuck an ebike under my nose. It immediately made sense to me. In june 2019 I purchased my first Ebike, a hybrid touring style bike that could do some limited offroad as well as being primarily road oriented. Fitness soon followed and I found myself using less and less battery, and my trips were getting longer. Soon I had added a standard mountain bike and a full on E mountainbike. The standard bike is used for flat runs and short distances up to 20kms. In the intervening period twixt june 2019 and to date I have covered almost 7000kms on bicycles. The Wife got one also, and I attach some photos from recent cycles on greenways in the west of Ireland. The whole Ebike thing has been life changing for us tbh.

Hopefully there are others on here who can share their experiences likewise.
I used to do a lot of bike riding and then I got Covid in 2021. It sapped my strength and I lost a lot of muscle mass in my thighs.
I have been thinking about an E-bike for the same reason, hoping that I can enjoy riding again & build back up my riding muscles.
Do any of you have suggestions on good, not too expensive brands/models? Any brands to stay away from?

As someone who only rode bicycles up until my 15th birthday in 1965 when I got my first street motorcycle, I'm curious. On these electric bicycles.. are they like mopeds? Do you have to pedal them or will the electric motors power them up hills etc?

As someone who only rode bicycles up until my 15th birthday in 1965 when I got my first street motorcycle, I'm curious. On these electric bicycles.. are they like mopeds? Do you have to pedal them or will the electric motors power them up hills etc?
Both, either. There are different classes of bikes. Read here: https://bikexchange.com/electric-bike-classes/

I used to do a lot of bike riding and then I got Covid in 2021. It sapped my strength and I lost a lot of muscle mass in my thighs.
I have been thinking about an E-bike for the same reason, hoping that I can enjoy riding again & build back up my riding muscles.
Do any of you have suggestions on good, not too expensive brands/models? Any brands to stay away from?

Yes, an ebike will allow You to build up muscle mass again at a rate that You can cope with. Mine assist up to 25Kph, but there are four levels of assist. When I started off I was using 2 and 3, 3 being used on the steepest hills. Nowadays I more or less use 2 exclusively and drop to 1 on the flat if Range is an issue. I see 670 has provided a link to categories otherwise.

I have two bikes and both are the Cube brand. They have been very reliable and of course I have looked after them well mechanically. Maintenance involves keeping forks clean and lubed, maintaining the chain set (lube) brake pads etc etc. The Touring Hybrid has over 5000kms on it now. I am also back on a standard bike for canal riding with some non E friends.

I see 670 has answered. On a pedal assist ebike You will still get as much of a workout as You need.

Back