• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

E10 lower mpg?

2wheeledJim

Reaction score
Visit site
Someone on reddit was claiming his nc700 took a significant gas mileage hit when he used e10, and said it's more than worth paying the extra for premium (97% or whatever over here in the UK). I've only had my bike for 2 fuel ups so far so haven't had a chance to investigate. Anyone got any data points on this tired old topic? :p

If you do the BTU math, the E10 has 3% less energy content than "pure" gasoline. Back when I had a Ninja 250, I ran tanks of pure gas and tanks of E10 through, and yep, my mileage showed a 3% difference. Where I live the price difference between pure gasoline and E10 is substantial, so E10 it is.

While the pure gas has more energy content, as far as octane goes there is no benefit to using high octane fuel on an NC700.

Last edited:
Someone on reddit was claiming his nc700 took a significant gas mileage hit when he used e10, and said it's more than worth paying the extra for premium (97% or whatever over here in the UK). I've only had my bike for 2 fuel ups so far so haven't had a chance to investigate. Anyone got any data points on this tired old topic? :p
Like 670cc said... There is a real difference in energy content between pure gas and E10, but pure gas is more expensive.

My gas mileage didn't settle in until after a few thousand miles. It wasn't until then that I got my best fuel economy (partly because of break in, partly because of me getting to know the motorcycle).
I suggest you break in the bike and get used to riding it for a few thousand miles before performing your own tests.

Its a toss up.
E10 you get a few less mpg but its a bit less in cost.
E0, or pure gas, you can go a bit farther per gallon, and usually its a higher more costly octane grade.
Some will not use E10 for fear of problems, either real or wives tales.

Around here E10 has been the only gas sold since the mid 80s.
It was only been recently that you could find E0.
I've experienced no E10 related problems, or have had no one I've worked with or any friends say they have had E10 gas problems.

Use what you want!!

E10 or 10pct alcohol is all we have in New England. And the mileage is lower than pure gas. The other thing to remember is alcohol is a solvent and gas is more of a lubricate. There has been many corrosion problems with the E10 the flexfuel E85 vehicles have higher corrosion components for this very reason. The MFGs say you should not have any problems with E10 but what else can they say. One good point of E10 you never have to add any drygas.

As noted, more energy in pure gas, hence better economy. Around here pure gas is tough to find, and expensive, high octane when you do. Straight 87 octane real gas is what you want IF it’s not a lot more than ethanol. You do not need high octane stuff. Given the price difference, I just run the regular 87 E10..

As noted, more energy in pure gas, hence better economy. Around here pure gas is tough to find, and expensive, high octane when you do. Straight 87 octane real gas is what you want IF it’s not a lot more than ethanol. You do not need high octane stuff. Given the price difference, I just run the regular 87 E10..
I would not suggest to the OP to use 87 octane. Note that this is an international forum (see banner at top of page). The originator of the thread resides in UK. I think they use the octane rating RON, not the US version which is PON (or R+M/2), thus will not be looking for fuel with the same octane number. The OP will know this. I suggest they use the octane rating for their country, which will be recommended in their country specific NC owner’s manual.

According to Wikipedia, “regular” gasoline octane in the UK is 95 RON. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating#Regional_variations

Attached is an example of a non USA owner’s manual. Notice the minimum recommended octane is 91 RON.

7AF4B8F5-B780-491A-909C-32A16A6887A4.png

Haha, we also have a different idea of what a gallon is in the UK so the potential for confusion is rife!

My last fuel up computed to 62.5 US mpg with what British petrol stations are selling as E10 and some of that was my dad learning tight U-turns and stalling it in first gear for half an hour so I'm happier now.

Was just concerned after the first tank only got 52 US mpg but that was right after purchase, before I had adjusted chain slack and inflated tyres to the right pressures etc. Think it was overdue a service when I took custody of it!

Anyway, in the UK the premium fuel is 10-15% more expensive so really doesn't justify the gas mileage gained.

Back