• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Dunlop Trailmax, Gone Already!

Thunderstick

Reaction score
Visit site
I mean really, just under 1500 miles and the wear bars are showing! I need a long life commuter tire. I was blowing through the Dunlops on the Rebel 500 about every 4000 miles, but I'm shocked these are gone in such a short time!

Recommend a long lasting road tire, please.

All commuting and street riding. Looking hard at the Road 5, but that Road Smart 3 is looking good as well. The most of road I foresee, is around the yard when it's dry.

Bridestone T31s are a good tire for the 700/750. Much less $$ than Michelins and handle better, almost the same mileage.

I installed 2 sets of the Michelin Road 5 tires on our bikes this fall. Less than 750 miles on each of the sets but I'm very very impressed with the ride and the road grip.

I've been very happy with the Shinko 705's. They have a lot of tread on them. While I haven't worn one out yet I did just replace one due to a puncture and it still had 6/32" on it after 9000 miles. I'm figuring that I can get over 15k if I can avoid the nails.

I have a set of Michelin Road 5 delivered yesterday, I received tools earlier in the week and am about to embark on my first motorcycle tire change job. Thanks for the replies.

Anyone use dynabeads to balance?

A few years ago we had some discussion of balancing, and dynabeads came up. Can’t recall who said they’d used them, though.

I mounted up the tires today with out any issues. I bought a balancing stand with the other tools and decided to have a go at just reusing the clip on weights that came on the wheels. The front wheel came with one weight that balanced the new tire perfectly. The rear had two weights and took more playing around with, and actually only used one of them. The wheel weight system on the NC750X is brilliant (not sure if Honda uses it on other wheels). You can unclip the weight with a screwdriver and reattach it somewhere else on the rim by just snapping it on, brilliant! I only rode it a few miles between storms, it felt fine, but I guess I can add the balance beads if i need to later. I'm sure hoping to get more than 4000 miles from them!

I mounted up the tires today with out any issues. I bought a balancing stand with the other tools and decided to have a go at just reusing the clip on weights that came on the wheels. The front wheel came with one weight that balanced the new tire perfectly. The rear had two weights and took more playing around with, and actually only used one of them. The wheel weight system on the NC750X is brilliant (not sure if Honda uses it on other wheels). You can unclip the weight with a screwdriver and reattach it somewhere else on the rim by just snapping it on, brilliant! I only rode it a few miles between storms, it felt fine, but I guess I can add the balance beads if i need to later. I'm sure hoping to get more than 4000 miles from them!
I use some black motion pro stick on weights. The next time I do a tire I plan on experimenting with reusing them. Was thinking of getting a small tube of clear silicone....time will tell.

That’s great! I always mount and balance my own tires, it saves money and actually takes less total time than transporting the wheel to a shop. Plus, the job gets done right. Like you, I’ve always been able to reuse the clip on weights that came with the motorcycle.

A tip I’ve mentioned many times, but I’ll mention again here: if you are using the “light side” tire dot to position the new tire on the rim, do not assume the valve stem on the wheel is the heaviest spot on the wheel. Using the balance stand, I check and permanently mark the heavy spot of the wheel before mounting the tire. Of about 9 cast wheels I tested from various motorcycles, the NC included, only one wheel actually had the heavy spot of the rim at the valve stem. Many are over 90 degrees away from that position. An illustration that the valve is often mistakenly assumed to be the heavy spot, is that you’ll see many factory or dealer mounted tires where most of the balance weights are situated right next to the valve. The light spot of the tire was placed at the valve, but the valve is also light, so extra weights needed to be placed there to compensate.

Last edited:
I actually wondered if the valve was ALWAYS the heavy spot, and I very nearly did put the wheel on the stand as you said to verify the heavy spot, and I'll be sort to next set! I'll most likely order a few spare weights at $3.00 each as well.

I put about 40 cold miles on the new tires this morning and they did great!

I also stopped by the Honda dealer to see about picking up a few of those wheel weights. They looked at me like I was speaking Greek at the parts desk, I actually took the guy over to a new NC750X and showed him the clip on weights. I was wrong about the price, they are around $9.00 each, and I noticed some CB models had this type weight system.

I also stopped by the Honda dealer to see about picking up a few of those wheel weights. They looked at me like I was speaking Greek at the parts desk, I actually took the guy over to a new NC750X and showed him the clip on weights. I was wrong about the price, they are around $9.00 each, and I noticed some CB models had this type weight system.
If you ever do take a wheel somewhere and pay someone to mount a tire and balance the wheel, always takes the clip-on weights off the wheel before you go and keep them. Otherwise you may never see them again, and you may get your wheel back with ugly stick-on weights.

I put about 40 cold miles on the new tires this morning and they did great!

I bought a big box of 1/4 oz black motion pro stick on weights on ebay to use. Almost wish I'd bought 1/2 oz weights so as to use less per each. Hasn't really been an issue on my NC, as it usually only requires 3 or 4 max to balance. But my cruiser with metal angled valve stems and whatnot, ended up with somewhere around 3.5 oz total on the front wheel. Ugly, lots of black weights on silver wheels, but I don't really care with that bike. I need to buy some silver weights though and replace them, might one day....or might not. NC wheels are black, that's all that matters. Lol

disturbing these tires go so fast as i got better mileage on my Busa while enjoying smoking them. noticed the tread is so shallow when i got this bike home. so few of these that i bought it in another state without ever even seeing one. only 450 miles on it now as i have other bikes

Took my stock Dunlops off at 4400 miles. Could have gone to 5K, I think. Rear still had a smidge left before the wear bars. Front was worn about the same. Winter is here and I already bought a set of Shinko 705s when they were on sale, so I changed them. Hopefully I’ll get better mileage out of the Shinkos.

JT

Back