• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Dry Bag

the Ferret

Reaction score
Visit site
For years I have been running a Tourmaster Tail bag on my naked bikes. Holds everything I need for an extended trip. Just returned from a weeklong trip where we rode in a LOT of rain the last 2 days and finally the inside of the bag, even with the cover on, got wet. I think it came up from the bottom. Anyhow I'm thinking about getting a Dry Bag to replace the Tourmaster. I'm thinking it needs to be about 40 liters, but I'm not sure? The Tourmaster bag is about 24" wide, 12" deep, 10" tall near as I can measure and it's the right sized bag for the bike and my gear.

R414PH1h.jpg

ocfqGiWh.jpg

Anyone run a Dry Bag across their back seat for their gear? What size? Any pics?

I keep all of the “living” portion of my camping gear in a 50 litre dry bag. It holds sleeping bag, tent, tent footprint, rainfly, pillow, chair, air mattress, stakes, lines, and a hammer. It rides on my Dale’s rack where the passenger seat would be. It has never, ever had water get inside, even riding through the remnants of three hurricanes on last year’s trip to Newfoundland.

I have that Nelson Rigg drybag/backpack combo that I really like:

Hurricane 30 liters

Might be a tad smaller than your last bag though. I enjoy how easy and how many option you get to strap it down. And you you get to destination, you wear it as a backpack. Never got anywhere wet inside.

Here are some pictures on the back of my NC. Hope this helps!

ncnelson2.jpg

ncnelson1.jpg

Do you know the dimensions on your bag? Can you post a pic?
I have this one. I chose it because Tour and Ride at one time offered it for half price. It turned out to be a great, reliable product. I’m sure there are many other examples that will work just as well.
220476DA-2E19-43D1-A51F-0442A6398648.jpeg

Last edited:
Are you able to still easily access the fuel tank with the dry bag attached?

I used that same Tourmaster Tail Bag for a long time but like what happened to you the rain cover lost it's waterproofing and I could not replace the cover.

One pic shows the red/black roll top 40 liter on the back of my R100 and the other on the RT. It's about 23" long and 11" in diameter. With a Dales Rack or modified passenger seat with a gas hole it does not impede access to the gas fill. With a stock seat and two Rok Straps to secure it, it unbuckled and lifted off in a few seconds to lift the seat and fuel up.

IMG_2145.jpg

R100 at the Dragon.jpg

Last edited:
I used that same Tourmaster Tail Bag for a long time but like what happened to you the rain cover lost it's waterproofing and I could not replace the cover.

One pic shows the red/black roll top 40 liter on the back of my R100 and the other on the RT. It's about 23" long and 11" in diameter. With a Dales Rack or modified passenger seat with a gas hole it does not impede access to the gas fill. With a stock seat and two Rok Straps to secure it, it unbuckled and lifted off in a few seconds to lift the seat and fuel up.

View attachment 50132

View attachment 50131
Thanks for the link Dave, good thread.

Seems most of you guys buy big ones for camping gear. I no longer camp so don't think I need cavernous. 40-50 would probably do me ok. Then again I don't have saddlebags or a trunk either, all my clothes go in the bag.

Covers are unreliable. A fully water proof bag is the only way to go. This one has a valve to make it easier to squeeze out all the air.
You would not regret buying one of these and the price is amazing.

I have an Amphibious 45 liter Dry bag. I like it, it would be perfect if it has a pressure release valve, but other than that, the bag is very sturdy and has all sorts of lash points to not only secure the bag to the bike but also to secure other things to the bag. It has compression straps and even has some reflective patches. Available in multiple colors, but I have the high-vis yellow.

Not cheap, runs about $105. I think it is worth it. Anything that fits inside is well protected. This is the bag you can take river-rafting on a kayak and then strap to your bike and it will survive a thunder storm.

I was looking to upsize and looked at a lot of bags. Came down to a choice of two, FirstGear 70, which is a discount product but nice. And the other choice was a 60 liter version of this same bag. Ultimately our trip plans changed, didn't buy another/larger bag, but I'd do the 60L Amphibious if I wanted a bomb-proof dry bag. I'd get the FirstGear if it was only occasionally to be used and was shopping for a decent bag at a modest price.

Screen Shot 2022-08-07 at 4.48.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-07 at 4.47.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-07 at 4.47.44 PM.png

Last edited:
Here is the 45L Amphibious bag on the bike

The metal mesh security bag over it was only used when I traveled through urban areas and knew that I would be parking the bike at lunch, possibly out of sight.

Screen_Shot_2020-04-10_at_9.09.17_AM.png

I use a yellow Nelson Rigg dry bag (39 lt, not sure this model is still available) for personal items and a black Wolfman dry bag (medium, 50 lt) for most of the camping gear. The black bag makes a nice back rest. I've been through light to medium rains and eveything has stayed dry in both bags. The black bag has my tent, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, pillow, misc small items and my Big Agnes Big Six chair. Food and cooking gear in one side case. The other side case has bike stuff. The frunk has misc stuff, my lunch, and water bottles for the day. All geared up for a 10 day trip.

Nelson Rigg 12H x 10L x 20W
Wolfman 11H x 12L x 24W

1659916835156.jpeg

Last edited:
So went up to Wally World and picked up a 40L Dry Bag as an experiment (only $13.88). Looks to be about the same size as my Tourmaster tail bag. Will have to do a trial pack to see if everything I normally carry will fit in it.

If it does I'll start looking for a better Dri Bag that opens along the side and not on the end, and one with some attachment points. The Tusk and Amphibious shown above look like nice bags.

For now will attach it with my Rok Straps.

HDmCo95h.jpg

Last edited:
I have the SW Motech dry bag, I think the 35l version I love it and it has held up for year to some serious weather.

The best part is unlike other bags Ive used the tie downs have quick release buckle where it attaches to the bag so it is super easy to remove at agas station or destination. Other bags Ive used have permanent tie downs that have to be un-tied or removed just to remove the bag.

It also has buckles on top to attach a smaller dry bag if you needed more space.

Covers are unreliable. A fully water proof bag is the only way to go. This one has a valve to make it easier to squeeze out all the air.
You would not regret buying one of these and the price is amazing.
Krieger looks solid

Touratech do a good selection. I use one on long distance trail rides. Excellent product, made for them by Ortlieb afaik.

Attachments

• IMG_2184-web.jpg
    IMG_2184-web.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Back