• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Dropped - Handlebars Out of Alignment, Exhaust Smoke

Fuzzy

Reaction score
Visit site
Been off forum so far this year. 70 nights in hotels for work first 3 months. 2 days off at home in January and yesterday was third this year.

Storm in January blew my bike over. All I had time to do getting home after dark was stand it back up and see a broken peg and handlebars out of align. I ordered new pegs from a hotel room internet connection, Yesterday my first day off since.

Putting pegs on no problem except the pin was bent. Stole pin from passenger peg to get by for now.

My problem is I am not sure best way to align handle bars with front wheel. I assume upper triple tree out of alignment with lower. Any advice on best approach to correct would be appreciated.

The engine was a little low on oil so i added 200 ml. Engine started instantly. (4 year old OEM battery having sat over 3 months in driveway under MC cover) The engine was smoking. I assume laying on its side a couple days some oil traveled where it shouldn't be. Will it burn off OK with a little riding, or do I need to do something else to correct. Again any advice will be appreciated. I am planning trip to Virginia starting mid next week and need it repaired and reliable.

Fuzzy, old boy, I'm glad you're back!

Assuming the handlebars or forks themselves aren't actually bent, I think what I would do is put the bike on the centerstand and loosen up the four triple tree clamps a bit (not so much that the fork sliders could slide through), then see if you can twist the front end straight. When there is more time, and to be even more thorough, I might break the front end down and do a fork oil change. When the forks are slid back up into the triple clamps, they would slide through easily when the clamps are aligned. When reassembled, again assuming nothing is bent, the front end is pretty much self aligning.

If anything is bent, I'd say the handlebars are the weakest link. I remember stopping in that shop near Robbinsville, NC, and that guy even had a tool for re-bending handlebars back straight.

The smoke from the burning oil should be a non issue. Just burn it off riding.

[...loosen up the four triple tree clamps a bit (not so much that the fork sliders could slide through), then see if you can twist the front end straight...]

My guess is that loosening just the lower two bolts will provide enough twist to get things aligned as necessary and you won't have to worry about the tubes sliding up. If you squeeze the front brake and pump the forks up and down, it usually gets everything "square" again. :eek:

Last edited:
The best alignment tool for the fork tubes is a flat plate (glass or metal) that will fit between the top of the sliders and below the lower triple tree. The plate can be rocked when the tubes are out of alignment and will sit flat when they are aligned. To align the tubes, it's best to put the bike up on the center stand if you have one. Loosen the 4 pinch bolts on the triple trees. Loosen the bolts just enough to be able to twist the fork back into position. I would also suggest loosening the fender mount bolts also. There is a steel brace under the plastic fender. Twist the fork into position by holding it still between your legs and pulling on the handle bars. Once the plate sits flush on both tubes, tighten the pinch bolts and then the fender bolts. The fork tubes are probably not bent. They generally don't bend unless the bike runs into something. After straightening the forks, go for a test ride and make a hard stop only using the front brake. If the bike doesn't pull to either side, the front end is all good.

Hello Fuzzy! I have been wondering how you have been. Working hard obviously!

My short cut to align forks is to loosen the axle pinch bolt on the bottom of the left fork leg then loosen the bolts on the bottom of the triple clamp. Leave the top ones alone!

Sit on the bike and push down hard a few times on the bars so as to "bounce" the front end up and down. If nothing is bent the forks will self-align themselves. Tighten the lower clamp bolts then the axle pinch bolt.

No worries about the oil but it might burn oil a lot longer than you expect. I did this once and it burned clouds of oil smoke for 15-20 minutes.

Last edited:
Check out this video:

YouTube

Basically, loosen every bolt south of the top two triple tree bolts, put your wheel on something that can slide, hop on and pump the fork up and down, then tighten all bolts.

Hello Fuzzy! I have been wondering how you have been. Working hard obviously!

My short cut to align forks is to loosen the axle pinch bolt on the bottom of the left fork leg then loosen the bolts on the bottom of the triple clamp. Leave the top ones alone!

Sit on the bike and push down hard a few times on the bars so as to "bounce" the front end up and down. If nothing is bent the forks will self-align themselves. Tighten the lower clamp bolts then the axle pinch bolt.

No worries about the oil but it might burn oil a lot longer than you expect. I did this once and it burned clouds of oil smoke for 15-20 minutes.
Murphy does this to me at times. Several projects being worked for some time all got installed 1st quarter. Seeing them all working well is rewarding but one right after the other gave no time for a break. I'm taking 3 weeks off to recover. Good boss so no issues with taking the time off after working hard.

I used your method of two lower clamps and left axle clamp. Couldn't have been easier. Shop manual tells how to take it all apart but didn't see the simple alignment. Did use torque wrench to tighten back up.

Check out this video:

YouTube

Basically, loosen every bolt south of the top two triple tree bolts, put your wheel on something that can slide, hop on and pump the fork up and down, then tighten all bolts.
Video very helpful to understand how it is all connected. Just did the 3 bolts in Dave's post and it looks good.

Back