• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Doh! Dead Battery

Jimmy_Pop

Reaction score
Visit site
I accidentally left my key in the ingition on after running up to the store and now my battery has died. Has anyone tried to bump their bike while in gear to jump start it? I just want make sure I don't mess anything up. What I've read is that it's somewhat safe.

Modern bikes like the NC700 needs a certain voltage to power up the fuel pump/injection system and electronic ignition. What that voltage is I don't know but you will hear it when the FI system whines and the fuel cut-off relay clicks on when the key is switched on. If that happens it should bump start in 2nd or 3rd gear. If it does not whine and click - save your energy.

I had bump started my Bonneville T-100 a few time. It had a weak battery that would only charge part of the way. Get it going in Neutral; Pop in 2nd gear and drop the clutch. It should get going if you have enough juice left

Thanks for the replies. Read a little more into it yesterday afternoon, popped her in second and drove off into the sunset. No issues for the rest of the day or this morning.

Came to start mine this morning, Dead battery. I usually have it plugged into an Optimiser, but I forgot last time I rode it, a week ago, and now it is flat. Anybody else had this problem? I did not leave the key in, and the only options I have on it are Honda heated grips and a Gipro gear indicator. It is a low mileage bike 4,000mls and 12 months old.

Bump starting (something owners of old Brit bike are familiar with) should always be done in 2nd . Try it in first and when you drop the clutch you will probably just lock the back wheel . Anything higher than 2nd and the bike is less likely to fire and if it does unless you whip the clutch back in quickly is likely to stall. The 2nd gear method was always used by racers back in the days of bump starts

Back