• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Do you carry Chain Press Tool and Chain Breaker with you rbike all the time?

I've never carried it with me but might start now that you've said something.

[HERE] is the one I use. (cheap)

View attachment 38210

on amazon as "ABN Chain Breaker 13-Piece Set with Carrying Case – Chain Cutter and Riveter for Motorcycle, Bike, ATV"

photo added
I couldn't find my cyclegear brand chain tool so I picked that up Saturday, arrived Sunday, used it to install my new chain. Worked well.

I will say that if you're trying to break a chain with one of these tools without first grinding the pin head off, you're not going to have very good luck. I generally just cut the old chain off with an angle grinder and then install one that I bought cut to length... or if I bought a 120 link, I grind the head off (both sides) before pressing the pin out.

I also use calipers to make sure I'm setting the width of the link correctly.
Seems like a well placed bit of gravel would break or damage the chain - but if I were taking a route like that - say Alaska - I’d probably rework my whole tool selection some and then it would make perfect sense to have it along.
Chains are hardened steel and a bit of gravel won't cause any real problems.

Belts are a different story.

I've never carried it with me but might start now that you've said something.

[HERE] is the one I use. (cheap)

View attachment 38210

on amazon as "ABN Chain Breaker 13-Piece Set with Carrying Case – Chain Cutter and Riveter for Motorcycle, Bike, ATV"

photo added

I have the exact kit...I took it with me to KSL (it isnt heavy) but dont know why...I dont carry an extra chain or links...probably wont carry it anymore.

Yes... On my bicycle. It's built into a multi tool that I carry.

I've only had one chain failure before and it was my fault, I over did the rivet when installing a new chain.

If I were a suspenders and a belt guy, then carrying around links, chain tools, etc would probably ease my anxiety and fear of being the first person on the planet to break a NC700x chain ;-)

Otherwise, no, I wouldn't carry one.

first person on the planet to break a NC700x chain ;-)

I even had one of the recalled chains (improper heat treat, possible brittle links) and gave up on maintenance since the replacement part was free and rode around on that for a year or two before going in for my new one and still no breakage!

A modern, high quality chain can become loose & worn due to neglect and too many miles but I would guess that actual breakage is extremely rare. And if you broke one while on a trip and had a chain breaker as part of your kit, does it also mean you're carrying a spare chain?

He's just carrying an extra link to rivet to the chain!

No i don't carry one or even own one. I do carry tools and chain alignment tool which i perform regular lube/maint/tension/alignment, also an air compressor and tire repair kit. That's about the contents of my Frunk. Ride safe and enjoy the many Smiles per gallon!! :{)

We carry the same equipment! :)

I would not leave the house without my ProMotion Chain breaker. Also carry a number of extra links. Have a tool box mounted under my rear fender with all my tools, and it fits perfect. There just ain’t to many places that I have not fixed a chain in. Also do carry a spare clutch cable. Every one of these I have used a number of times, most times when riding with other riders. On the road I have spent a lot more times working on other riders bikes, than my own. In my day of few motorcycle riders, you never ever passed a biker who is broke down .............................................................................
Sounds neat. How does that toolbox look?

Back